HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:33 AM
United States, OH, Fairborn
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
i found a Tacon brushless motor 2860 2550 kv 1300 watts that can handle a 5s but its got a 4mm shaft and the fan i ordered is set up for a 3.175 shaft and i cannot find a 4mm adaptor good price at 40bucks seems like the motors im finding with the 3.175mm shaft are not going to be the power im wanting so im not sure what to do.....thanks for the reply guys every little bit helps : )
wind1234 is offline Find More Posts by wind1234
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:39 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if you want a good 5S combo, I would recommend the E-Flite 70mm fan/motor with an 80Amp ESC. you just can't beat it IMHO. I use this exact combo in my RBC Skyhawk and it's absolutely ballistic in performance. of course, if you can find the SAPAC MB1 combo, that's a good one too, but the E-Flite's are a dime a dozen and can be purchased relatively cheaply. you can run the cheaper stuff if you like, but the bottom line is that on 5S, these E-Flite fans will run all day long, give great power and just won't quit. for the money, you can't beat them. for the ESC, I almost exclusively use the Turnigy Plush series of ESC's. again, for the money, you just can't beat them. I've never had a problem with a Plush ESC and those that have are few and far between. try asking that question to CC owners. LOL.

as for servos, the ones linked above at HK are great. if you want to go a little cheaper, the HXT900's from HK are awesome servos. you may get the odd one or two that aren't quite up to snuff, but for the most part, they are a great bang for the buck. they work well and most importantly, they center as they are supposed to. shop well at HK and you'll find some really nice servos for the money.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
thanks for all the great info Rich...never bought anything from HK before and ordered there 3in. fans with no motors a couple days ago gonna see how long it takes to get here...im still thinking about going ahead and ordering there 3 1/2 in. fans as they are set up for motors with the 5mm shaft ill have better motor selection if i go that rout and that will give me plenty of fans for a years worth of plane building lol might be a tight fit to get the 3 1/2 in. fans in the plane but if it works i wont have to worry about power for sure...kinda at a standstill till i get my tax fefund cant go much further on the plane till i see how the fans will fit and make sure i wont have to modify the bottom...then i can finish sheeting and sanding and filling the main body : )
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:38 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,426 Posts
Coming along nicly. Tax time, a wonderfull time of the year! My partner got her state back in 4 working days. Thought mine would be here today, no luck yet. Feds, a little longer, next week.

I only ordered once from HK myself, and it took 7 days from Hong Kong. But, is yours is coming from there, read this:

Asia warehouse holiday period notice. 21/01/2012
It's that time of year again; when 20% of the world's population takes a holiday to celebrate the Chinese New Year.
During this holiday period HobbyKing will have varying levels of service due to customs, courier/shipping closures and public holidays. Here's what you need to know.
-All Satellite warehouses (US/DE/AU) will remain open and function normally. If you make an order to one of these warehouses it will be processed normally.
-HobbyKing Customer Service will remain open the entire time during the holiday period (21-28 Jan); however support will be slow due to an increase in support requests.
-Orders placed between 21~31 of January will be shipped in the first week of February.

I do like you idea of the carbon rods for gear. Just remember, like a leaf spring, that has a shackel in the back for flexing, you will need to have a way for the rod to move reward. Possibly, inside a larger carbon tube? And good hard points to mount to. Mark
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
hey mark good catch on the shackle part never thought about that...stoped at my lhs today after work and picked up a couple more balsa sheets a new box of pins and some nice hinges for the elevator or hatch doors...its a shame my local hobby shop dont stock no edf fans they mostly sell basic building stuff or high end stuff... nice folks tho they at least know there stuff....again guys thatnks for the great help so far
Old Jan 31, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,426 Posts
What would we do with out T-pins? The best ones I have ever found were from a fabric store. They are called "heart of gold" used for securing wigs to styling heads. 2" long , only 25 to a pack. #HG504's

I need a trip to the LHS myself, starting to get low on some basics.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
yea i was down super low on t pins ran out when i covered the top of the thrust ducts had to use 1 1.2 screws ..looked all frankinstine lol..working on my wingtips right now waitin on glue to dry might start on the stabs tonight also gotta figure out what im going to do about a rudder... i need alot of linkages and little things...

i got question mabe someone can help me not sure if i should make the canards fixed to the fuse or tie them in with the elevator controls if i go the fixed rout ill make sure there somewhat ajustable to get a nice angle of attack.not sure yet
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,426 Posts
Did a quick search on electric ducted fan talk, heres a link for a bunch of threads. They may or may not have what you are looking for. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...ying%20canards
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
took a few picks of making my wingtip holders ....these are going to be bent down 20 degrese...im not sure what kinda wood this is its harder than balsa...poplar or basewood mabe? just some old scraps from planes past...im using elmers yellow wood glue and its taking forever to dry,the good part is alot of it soaks in the wood real nice and makes it alot harder..i made my wood braces extra big to make sure i stayed on my angle..these will be trimed down when dry ...i plan on using another peice of wood and will screw the 2 together to hold the wingtip on...probly do the same for the rear vertical stabs they will be at 70 degrese..well plus or minus 5 degrese lol long as its got enough surface area to keep it from rollin : ) still up in the air about the wingtips as far as what im making them out of...strait balsa im afraid will be to fragile and any field rash will meen certain doom i was going to use depron but i think they will be to bendy/floppy in turns and wind gusts these are 25 % of the wing area so they might get a load on them from time to time...might have to try foam with real light fiberglass just because i love that stuff all over my fingers and everywhere lol
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
glue finaly set up enough to cut some excess off.. some pics of the top view...i cut some thin stips of poplar ply to give the screws something to bite in and then i took a thicker peice of balsa cut some slots underneath and glued it to the top of the ply i'll shape these down when my glue dries and give it a nice contour...when i screw my wingtips in there will be no way these puppies are commin off in flight and they will be easy to replace...feel like i got something accoplished today good thing to my next 2 days at work will be long days so dont know how much will get done.....thanks again for looking guys more pics to come : )
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:14 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
looks like a good solution to me. should be nice and solid.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
my glue set up and i carved these tip holders....these will get a layer or 2 of glass.... the little grooves i cut in them are prety close to the top and i dont want these to snap just handeling them or when i go to tighen them down on the wingtip...i might even jump back to these later in the build and somehow make them ajustable..if i had like a 9 channel radio or something crazy like that i would for sure...as who know what kinda fight characteristics this thing will have.... tbh i probly couldnt fly this thing even if it was allready set up lol but im having a blast building it and who knows mabe my flight/non flight will help the next guy im trying to catalog everything so if anyone would like any info feel free to ask...

on a side note since i ordered 2 (3in. 7 blade fans)from hk and there still getting back from holiday i went ahead and ordered 2 (3 1/2 in. 7 blade) fans just in case i can cram them in there : ) and those fans got the 5mm shaft on them wich will alow me to go head and pick out some motors and esc's...this things gonna take off like one of them crazy bottlerockets that dont know wich way to go ....get like a foot of the ground and start cork screwin lol
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,426 Posts
What second set of fans did you get? Nice to see you have lots of optimisim!! When the time comes, you best have a video! Mark
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:31 AM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
just some 3 1/2 in. fans from hk they was like 20 bucks.....i got the warhead 3567 1850kv motors(20 bucks) in my cart ready to click the button...and 2 90-100amp hobbyking ss series esc's....i notice that some the esc's have no bec and some have 3-5v bec not sure wich i need for sure im still learning the hobby....probly gonna go with a 5s but not sure wich C rating to get...id like to hook 2 packs together mabe like 2 2200mah as i dont think i cound get a 5000mah brick in......hard to tell what my all up weight will be the plane dry weight is probly 1 1/2 pounds but you add 2 edf's and batteries it will be over 3 lb.? just guessing there.....and yea deffinatly gonna record even gonna buy a small hd cam for the plane...my credit card is cringing in my pocket lol just trying to make sure i get what i need and not anything i dont : )
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:16 AM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Joined Apr 2006
4,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind1234 View Post
just some 3 1/2 in. fans from hk they was like 20 bucks.....i got the warhead 3567 1850kv motors(20 bucks) in my cart ready to click the button...and 2 90-100amp hobbyking ss series esc's....i notice that some the esc's have no bec and some have 3-5v bec not sure wich i need for sure im still learning the hobby....probly gonna go with a 5s but not sure wich C rating to get...id like to hook 2 packs together mabe like 2 2200mah as i dont think i cound get a 5000mah brick in......hard to tell what my all up weight will be the plane dry weight is probly 1 1/2 pounds but you add 2 edf's and batteries it will be over 3 lb.? just guessing there.....and yea deffinatly gonna record even gonna buy a small hd cam for the plane...my credit card is cringing in my pocket lol just trying to make sure i get what i need and not anything i dont : )
W. If you use a SS opto ESC you need to add an external ubec, can't work without it. BEC and ubec will feed your servos direct from the battery in the case the ESC dies. You need to remove the red wire from the Rx connector in the ESC.
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago