HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:18 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
708 Posts
Discussion
F-14 Tomcat 60mm Twin Pusher

I finally completed my F-14 !

This is the 60mm F-14 ducted fan kit that I converted to twin counter rotating pusher props. It is such a beautiful kit ! By going the pusher route I was able to keep the weight relatively low. As light and powerful as it turned out, I believe this F-14 is going to be an excellent flyer. I just wrapped up the build and have not scheduled the maiden flight yet. I've throttled her up and went through the programming, she is ready to go !

Micro Dan 2505 Custom 1845 Kv X 2
6 x 4 APC counter rotating prop set
Dual Sky 30 amp ESC X 2
Gens Ace 4S 1800 mah
Castle Creations 10 amp BEC
All Up Weight : 1122g / 39.6 oz

From what I've seen running the motors at home, I expect flight times of around 5 minutes, maybe a bit more.

Special thanks to Colin who has posted tons of great information that helped me put this thing together. I'd also like to thank Freechip, J.E. Johnson, Specnaz, and many other folks who have been so helpful in the build threads for this F-14.

In this post I will post some pictures of the finished jet. I'll add another post later that will show the things I did differently from the way this jet is usually built. It may be quite a while, but I'll report back on the maiden as well !
RPatrick is offline Find More Posts by RPatrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:37 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Which F-14 kit is that?? Looks sweet. I look forward to flight reports, and video!
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:10 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
708 Posts
Hi ATIS,

This is the 60mm ducted fan F-14 kit sold by Hobby King.

There were a few issues here and there with things not fitting exactly right, but overall I was very impressed with this kit. The moving parts are well designed and the paint job was very well done at the factory. The instructions that come with the kit are poor but alot of info and help on building this jet can be found here on the forums. I bought this kit for $79 from Hobby King !

This is a builder's kit and it does take a lot of work to put it together. I've built some basic foam parkflyer jets in the past and found that this one is on another level. It was a long build, but to me it was very much worth the effort ! The only way to get a well built, high quality F-14 is to do it yourself.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:37 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Thanks for the info. Any reason you didnt sink the motors into the exhausts a little? Not sure if you had any issues with making CG but if you sank them a little into the intakes it would have made CG easier. My Cougar scratch build is a CG nightmare!
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:57 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
708 Posts
I wanted to try to give the motors some degree of cooling airflow. I also think the props work a bit better when they are not right up against the tail. One more factor is that it was easier to keep the motors on the proper thrust line by not cutting into the nozzles.

It turned out that by putting the battery as far forward as possible, the center of gravity was perfect. I was prepared to add weight to the nose, but luckily I did not need to.

RPatrick
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:22 AM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,297 Posts
Great work RPatrick, I was going to go the single pusher route in the center but now seeing how you did yours this is much better. Did you get the motors from HK? Good luck on the maiden.

Cheers
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:27 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,644 Posts
now we need to see that sweep swing programming in action in a video.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:08 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeuce View Post
Great work RPatrick, I was going to go the single pusher route in the center but now seeing how you did yours this is much better. Did you get the motors from HK? Good luck on the maiden.

Cheers
The Micro Dan motors are about the most powerful motors per gram of motor weight you will find. They are on the expensive side, but their lightness was worth it to me (34g each). If you go with heavier motors, you will need a heavier battery to get the center of gravity correct. I bought the motors here:

www.gobrushless.com
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:19 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,233 Posts
This is a neat project, it looks like it will all work just fine

This is a neat project, it looks like it will all work just fine.

Looking at the pictures (very well documented by the way) I had one idea to share.

As an insurance policy, it would be to drill a couple of 1/16"
holes through wooden motormount plugs and into the nacelle and insert/glue a couple of toothpick size dowels through the exhaust nacelle into the balsa plugs.

After sanding the dowls flush with motormount , this would ensure if the main motormount/nacelle glue joint cracks, even partially, the motor mount won't give way unexpectedly.

best wishes and great build, john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Jan 23, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
708 Posts
Hi John,

Thank you for the comments and your idea is a good one. You have pin-pointed my biggest concern with the build.

I have thought about this quite a bit and do feel ok with the current mounting. I have done some testing with the canopy glue that I used on the plane. When the glue cures it stays flexible and will not crack. With proper surface prep it bonds very strongly to wood and foam. It is like a shock absorber between the surfaces. One of the servos that I had glued in turned out to be defective, when I tried to pull the servo out I found out just how strong and resilient the canopy glue is. I think it will be ok, but I will keep a close eye on the mounts for any signs of stress or failure.

RPatrick
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Feb 2010
402 Posts
Awesome thread here Patrick!

Glad I could help!

Been messing around with the idea of doing a twin motor setup for this airframe a long time, this will just be the ticket to getting starting it up again!!

Realy nice AUW too!

Keep up the good stuff!
colinski is offline Find More Posts by colinski
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:54 PM
It's a really big number.
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
Very nice work. Seeing your twin has reinspired me too I've got an F-14 kit that I was planning to make a pusher (single in the middle) so I can doll it all up scale wise as well as load it with carbon, but now I'm going to go for a twin set up.
Googleplex is offline Find More Posts by Googleplex
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:17 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
708 Posts
Yes Sir Colin !

If I remember correctly your pushers were built as ducted fan models and then converted. Knowing from day 1 that the jet is going to be a pusher does help simplify the build and allows for a lot of flexibility with the wiring as I'm sure you can imagine.

Most of the complaints about this 60mm F-14 have to do with the intakes (too small but very scale I think), sluggishness, underpowered, and the wings bend up in flight. I'm thinking every one of those issues is greatly improved or fixed in a pusher version.

I wanted a twin but really wanted to address the overweight issue. I figured if I used the typical 2.5+ oz motors X 2 then it would be heavier than necessary. I searched alot and found the Micro Dan motors. They are about 1.2 oz each but are designed for maximum cooling and can handle 20+ amps each ! The relatively low rear weight allowed for a light battery in the nose. It all added up to light build overall.

This airframe has a history of good (although underpowered) flying characteristis, so I've got some confidence in this version.

Cheers !

RPatrick
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:56 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
708 Posts
Nice to hear Googleplex !

If anyone is building this kit for the first time they should take a look at Colin's big thread. He has some good tips about how to add strength to important parts of the aircraft that will save you some headaches later on. Lots of pictures there with flight videos as well !

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/f...s.asp?TID=8597

In his last video on this page you can see how much elevator trim to add when the wings are fully swept back.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...065988&page=68