HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
Question
Where to buy the Turnigy 9x/flysky 9ch radio

Everywhere I look it is sold out. Does anyone have a good site to buy from that sells an up to date version of these radios?

I am looking to get back into the hobby after about 4-5 years out. I am kind of learning everything all over again and just came upon these radios as a good way to get back into the hobby on a budget. AM I WRONG ?!?!?
ChiWiAzPilot is offline Find More Posts by ChiWiAzPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:30 PM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
Well as far as the 9x radios go, at places like HobbyKing, the orders are fulfilled in about 4-6 weeks (it's also new years right now). So you can just order and get your place in line, so to speak. Can't speak for other places, but I imagine it's similar there. Anything coming from China (especially if you have to wait for stock) is going to run you about 4 weeks. Certainly with HobbyKing do not wait for stock to reappear before ordering it. Any stock that comes in is immediately used to fulfill back orders. So you have to back order to get in line.

Do you have any radio gear from before? Just because it's a bit old and dated doesn't mean it won't work. Other places to look for gear include E-Bay. Maybe you can find some reasonably-priced 2.4 GHz gear there. Spektrum, Futaba, etc.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
I have nothing..I am starting from scratch again.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
Is the FlySky the same as the turnigy? I see that hobbypartz has them in stock.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:40 PM
United States, TN, Chattanooga
Joined Aug 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiWiAzPilot View Post
Is the FlySky the same as the turnigy? I see that hobbypartz has them in stock.
Yes the flysky and Turnigy are the same. The one difference is that the flysky has the antenna on the module rather than hardwired into the radio as the Turnigy does.
sporez is offline Find More Posts by sporez
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:22 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,441 Posts
The Flysky is the original and mfr name, all the others are rebranded.
You can get it at almost same price as HK from leaderhobby.
Ignore the fact they are marked as negative stock, place order and will have it shipped same week. At least so was for the last 3 I bought from them.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Jan 24, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:53 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
The Flysky is the original and mfr name, all the others are rebranded.
You can get it at almost same price as HK from leaderhobby.
Ignore the fact they are marked as negative stock, place order and will have it shipped same week. At least so was for the last 3 i bought from them.
This is a bit optimistic perhaps (it might take 2-3 weeks to fill the order) but it's the right approach. Don't wait for the transmitter to be in stock or you might wait forever, as frequently they have more back-orders than they receive new stock.

The big difference between the HK Turigny and the FlySky as sold by LeadersHobby (other than a black case for the FlySky), is in how the RF module is installed. In the Turnigy, the antenna is up top and connected to the module by a soldered on wire, meaning that for practical purposes it's not removable (or more accurately, removal is irreversible). The FlySky uses a module that has the antenna mounted directly on it, so is easily interchangeable with an FrSky or other plug-in module (JR type).

This matters only if you want to be able to go back and forth between module types.

I have bought 9x transmitters from both LeadersHobby and HK in the past two months. Leaders had them (briefly) in stock, so I grabbed one and it arrived in about three weeks. HK never had them in stock, so it took about 5 weeks for my transmitter to arrive.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:31 PM
France, Pays de la Loire, Nantes
Joined Sep 2010
174 Posts
Well, i'm reopens the question of the topic... :/ Where except HKing & Ebay & LeadersHobby?

Alex.
alex_007 is offline Find More Posts by alex_007
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, NY, Shirley
Joined Oct 2008
2,007 Posts
If you don't want to play musical chairs trying to order it and you really want one, Ryan is a great guy to deal with. It costs more but you get it in a week and he will except returns.

If HE has them in stock? I went this route for one of my radio's.

http://www.planeinsanerc.com/index.php?PageID=15
reacher10 is online now Find More Posts by reacher10
Last edited by reacher10; Mar 22, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,441 Posts
It seems it is out of production, indeed.
Just got a confirmation from LeadersHobby yesterday, they didn't restocked and sold any for more than one month, and they have word to have a new model in two weeks.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:57 AM
Australia, NSW, Marsfield
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
I've had a bit of to and fro with leadershobby about these radios..
I ordered mine on 26 jan, and each week Ive been told 'another week', and when pressed, they admitted it might be another four weeks. maybe. they dont know.

up till now, Ive been happy with leader's service.. but to be constantly told 'a week or two' has finally got to me. Ive got three quadcopters and a heli waiting for a radio, for any of them to be able to get off the ground.

leaders are still taking orders, even though they admit they cannot supply, and dont know when they could.
"we are sorry, and hope for your understanding" seems to be their stock answer.

Not once did they mention a new version coming.

I checked out PlaneInsane... but when I put 'australia' as the shipping destination, it wants to charge $1000 for the shipping!!!
rcroadtrain is offline Find More Posts by rcroadtrain
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, NY, Shirley
Joined Oct 2008
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroadtrain View Post
I ordered mine on 26 jan, and each week Ive been told 'another week', and when pressed, they admitted it might be another four weeks. maybe. they dont know.

up till now, Ive been happy with leader's service.. but to be constantly told 'a week or two' has finally got to me. Ive got three quadcopters and a heli waiting for a radio, for any of them to be able to get off the ground.

leaders are still taking orders, even though they admit they cannot supply, and dont know when they could.

Not once did they mention a new version coming.

I checked out PlaneInsane... but when I put 'australia' as the shipping destination, it wants to charge $1000 for the shipping!!!
Send an email to Ryan and ask him directly what he can do on shipping.

I got a shipping quote to send an 8.5lb box about 4'x8"x4" to Austraila and it was between $35-$40 so that radio box will be cheaper for sure.
reacher10 is online now Find More Posts by reacher10
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:55 PM
Australia, NSW, Marsfield
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
hmm.. thanks for the suggestion, postage out of US is quite reasonable.
Postage inside Australia is expensive, about double.

I found two other suppliers, one in china thru AliExpress,
the other is our old 'friend' ebay/revolutionshop (hong kong)
that will sell it for about $95- $101 inc shipping..

might go with one of those.

...but the point is, after several contacts with Leaders, they never mentioned once that a new version was/is coming. If I was told there was, I'd sit down and shut up and wait.

..right now, they have 251 orders for mode2 and 61 orders for mode1 radios, and not a hope in hell of supplying.
is that legal? something tells me it isnt...I know it wouldnt be if it was a local seller, but over the net, things are a bit different.
rcroadtrain is offline Find More Posts by rcroadtrain
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:15 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
504 Posts
There's one for sale in the For Sale thread in the Aussie forum. They seem to come up fairly often. I bought one that way a couple of weeks ago. You might want to try there. The conversion from one mode to another is pretty easy and there are plenty of tutorials that show you how.
Komet is offline Find More Posts by Komet
Last edited by Komet; Mar 28, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:25 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroadtrain View Post

I ordered one in mid November when Leaders had them (briefly) in stock and received it in mid December. I ordered another from them on "preorder" about February 7 and haven't seen or heard anything yet. I'm not excessively concerned, as I ordered it as a spare, but if I were eager to have it I'd be getting impatient.

Meanwhile, I have the Turnigy version on my wish list at HK and have been notified several times over the past three weeks that they have them in stock.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66