HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:55 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
Good progress tonight... Sides covered and elevators, rudder are hooked up with pull pull.. I added a CA hinge near the elevator horns along with the two hingepoints.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:58 AM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
180 Posts
Interesting how part of the pull pull goes thru the surface. Making good progress.
wcessna is online now Find More Posts by wcessna
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:24 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
yeah.. On the actual aircraft the lines actually enter the horiz stab farther back a bit when I doublechecked but it's good enough to look somewhat real! The model is to be built using pushrods (single or dual if you split the elevaors) so this has been a bit of an undertaking. But as you know I enjoy buildig as much as flying so it's all good..
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:28 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
The hatches are done thank goodness. I really don;t care for making them as I'm not very good at it. Access to the pull pull arms the servos drive for rudder and elevator and access to the velcro strap securing the tank are tongue and screw based. Access to the battery uses a spring loaded type sliding bar for easy access. I'll post picwith the covered fuselage.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:20 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
Here are some pics. I google/imaging to see where the headrest is supposed to go before I glue it on. Meaning does the cockpit coaming go all around or stop each side of the headrest. Back to the wing... install ailerons, locate holes to run wires down from wing and cover the top. Thats the plan tonight.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
Accomplished a good amount of work. .I was using the light stain on the tail skid but didn;t like that after a bit. Epoxy on the wood on the cabanes, etc,, even after sanding created a very blotchy appearance so I took some maroonish mailbox paint that we had and used that. I tried rubbing it but ended up just painting all struts, gear, and cabanes. Used spare white solartex for the wrappings. Added the ailerons to the wings and have aileron servos mounted. Ran the wires and have them exiting out the bottom back of wing by the rear cabanes. Working on covering the top of the wing. Need to get the receiver in and figure out the aileron extensions to meet up with the aileron wires. I'll have to make a coiuple holes in front, side of the cockput for the extensions to come out.. I'll post pics later. Have been getting excited the last few days as the end is in sight !!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
Down to covering the top of the upper wing now, then its back to the fuselage for finising up the covering at the front, attaching the cowl, making the final connections needed for the radio and locating the receiver and regulator. Need to get some sort of pilot..a 12" doll is 1/6 scale but I'd be cutting him just below the shoulders. Believe I'm going to run a plank under him left to right that can be screwed at the ends for easy removal. The LHS only as 1/4 and larger pilots and they're all the sport ./ general aviation type.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:46 AM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
180 Posts
Looking good!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:14 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
Wing covering is done. Have tried cutting roundels without much success of having them come nice, round and smooth curved. Any ideas out there thats not paining.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:28 PM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
180 Posts
Closer and closer...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:15 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
Made a punch list of items as I like to do when there's light at the end of the tunnel. Helps keep me on track and not forget anyhting.
1) Aileron pushrods and fuel line clevis keepers
2) Keepers on elevators, rudder and servos
3) Iron front fuse 1/2" excess covering onto firewall, seal
4) Cover, attach headrest
5) Re-Install tank, velcro straps
6) Determine motor offset and re-mount
7) Connect throttle servo
8) Mount Cowl
9) Pilot
10 Roundels, markings
11) Landing gear spreader bar
12) Cockpit Coaming
13) Balance

Thats it.

I'm on a business trip most of next week and looks like Isaac may be paying Fl a visit soon so will need to get ready for both of those. Hopefully I can check a few more things off. We have a warbird funfly at the club mid Sept so I hope to get some trim flighs in before then.
Last edited by Thermalin; Aug 21, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:37 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,475 Posts
"Wing covering is done. Have tried cutting roundels without much success of having them come nice, round and smooth curved. Any ideas out there thats not paining."

Yes. Once upon a time:-)))))))))), I bought a thing made by Olfa, called a compass cutter, model CMP-1. Esentially a blade holder on a beam, adjustable, with a pin pivot point. Works fantastically well.

Still advertised " http://www.olfaproducts.com/SearchResults_1.jsp"''

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:09 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,475 Posts
I have also modified one of these to hold an exacto blade, in place of the ink pen.

"http://www.amazon.com/Alvin-961b-Beam-Compass-Set/dp/B000HEOI66/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345648028&sr=8-2&keywords=beam+compass"

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:23 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
Thanks... not sure why I didn't think of this... the compass or beam cutter would be quite simple to fashion up myself. Heck.. a string, free to rotate secured to a sharp #11 would do the job.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:46 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
Got the replacement headrest covered and attached. Figured out the starter went out in the VAN today... 2 hours later it's out . So replacement goes in tomorrow. That along with the storm which looks quiet menacing may be it till I get back late next week. I need to seal a couple leaks in the roof before I head out. fun fun.