HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:03 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
Work is proceeding at a snails pace these days but any progress is progress, I have the hingepoint blocking in and the holes to accept the points on all moveable surfaces. BUSA recommended minis so I orderd two for the ailerons, 1 for the rudder and am going to use my standard bb for the elevator. It's just a LOT of area to move around back there. The last main piece of construction is hooking up the elevator rudder servos. Since I have the elevator servo in hand, that's nexr.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:20 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
Worked on the pull pull for the elevators today.. have the bell crank in place and wires attached to it and will later tonight. Made a small hatch underneath just behind the bottom wing to assist with access to the bellcranks for service if needed. Moving to the tank mounting until the servos come in. Not sure what to do about the tank yet

My tank is slant style so mounting up right requires some irregular bends in the brass tubing to make it to the inverted carb.. I could turn the tank upside down but that seems extreme. Either way it's a bit tight in there regarding space.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:29 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
Pull Pull is loose but in place. Dual wires top and bottom. one for each side of elevator.
Old May 09, 2012, 02:32 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
Well USPS says my servos were delivered 5/7 2:18pm... but they're no where to be found.. so trying to figure that out.... does not look good.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:24 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
Found my servos at another business in the building . Will try to install for the rudder and elev this evening.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:09 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
As i was mounting the servos in the quite tight space... i had an idea and maybe others already doing this. I used my GP Hole Locator to mark the holes through the servo grommets. This prove invaluable and not sure why I havent done this before in any servo application. It's easily used with one hand.
http://greatplanes.com/accys/gpmr8130.html
Old May 13, 2012, 10:35 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
Rudder and elevator servos are in and working moving the surfaces as expected. I needed to put one upright and invert one due to the bellcrank connects being on different planes. Bending the wiire for the rudder control when the servo was upugright required a to severe bend and caused binding issues.

THe wires for the elevators are not parallel but it doesn't seem to cause issues as the length of the brank and horns are the same distance at the pull pll connections. They aren't parallel as i was matching the actual setup in the real thing. They near each other at the fuse entry point and then expand apart agin in my setup . Maybe on the real thing they were parallel to the control arm in the fuse.
Last edited by Thermalin; May 13, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:09 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
Everything moves nice.. took video on my phone but youtube didnt like the format and several free file converters didnt either. On to servos in the upper wing t which should go quite a bit quicker.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:02 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
Completed the plates for the aileron servos. I added doublers to the ribs to prevent bowing out when covering shrinks. I may need to add one on the outside as well. The minis came in and I need to mound them to the underside of the plates now. The plans have the servos sitting on rails such that the horn and servo top are completely exposed but I prefer to side mount with the arm through the slot for a nicer appearance. I picked up a cylindrical tank as well as space is a little tight for a standard slant style.
Last edited by Thermalin; Jun 08, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
Horns in place and the backplate is inside the aileron so you wont see it from the top. Servos are done. I'm going to pick up some extra wire and solder to the lead so it's one continuous run into the cockpit. . A little sanding and top and bottom wings can be covered.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:21 PM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Looks good Thermalin! BUSA looks to have some nice kits, maybe one day That and i like the fact that there shop is only hour and a half away from me.
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:26 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
Expoxied the firewall area, temporarily mounted the motor and and working on the down and right thrust. Have an issue with how to run the throttle pushrod. Arm is just about directly behind the motor.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:46 PM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
194 Posts
Makes the brain work harder... I know you love the problem solving part. What would a kit be without some challenges along the way? BORING. Can't wait to see the fly...I think you need to take the Stearman out for some slow flyer practice first.
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:37 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
Maybe this weekend if the wind drops.. she's ready to go.. im tiring of taxiiing around the driveway
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:43 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,489 Posts
construction halted....You know its time to clean up when you cant find what you need....my tubing bender to finish the tank install..

I picked up a round tank due to space and when installing I realized I can run the throttle directly out the back of the motor, through the firewall and it will run right past the tank due to its shape. I'm having the tank in foam sitting on two rails around which will be two velcro straps. I have a bottom hatch for access.