HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:13 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
I'm using a torch now all the time. Just seems easier to me. Can get the piece up to temp quickly, remove the heat and it just flows.

Les.. I pre tinned both wires but not the bend of the main wire toward the axle. Wrapped in thin wire full length but not overlapping. The pic makes it look somewhat globby but it's all through the gear and wire wrap.

I have a roll of silver solartex but the Italian base is cream which looks nice. I was looking and found this:
http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelA...i17_DS_1a.html
Also gives nice views of where the pull pull leave the fuselage. Not sure if I want to deal with the top pull passing through the top of the horiz stab which I know was done back then but would be neat.
Based onthe angle of the wires coming in... they would best work if criss crossed inside the fuse to the opposite side... or.... they could be routed straight forward once inside. THe folks at rcscalebuilder suggest criss crossing with nyrods epoxied to gether at the crossings to keep wires from rubbing.

I also like the red and green fuselage wrap from above. These pics also show me the entrance of the pull pull wires for the elevator.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Last edited by Thermalin; Feb 27, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:52 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,389 Posts
"Les.. I pre tinned both wires but not the bend of the main wire toward the axle"

Good. Can't tell from the pic.

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:12 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Installed the motor mount last tnight emporarily (no epoxy sealing, etc yet) and plan on doing the motor to the mount this evening and start on the cowl install.

On the control horns some 1/4 scale folks have been using 1/8" ply wooden horns coated in epoxy and secured to the elevators/rudder so I think this is what I'll do as it will look scale-ish. With the horns in place I'll be able to layout the pull pull wires.
Last edited by Thermalin; Feb 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:54 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Drilled and tapped the mount for the motor. One of the bolts on the back of the motor was in the way of one of the motor mount to firewall bolts. I filled the original hole and redrilled the mount so the bolt would sit between the two small bolts on the back of the motor in the carb area. Engine is 90 degrees to the left looking from front so the exhaust will exit out the bottom. Now that the engine is in place I'll make a floor for the tank so its at the correct hieght. Odd but there was no wood or instruction in the kit for a tank floor ??.

Wondering If I shoulid invert the motor and have the cutout at the bottom where it needs to be anyway to clear the head. Are there any issues with running a "smaller" 4 stroke inverted.
Last edited by Thermalin; Feb 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:51 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,389 Posts
" Are there any issues with running a "smaller" 4 stroke inverted. "

No different than any other. I have been known to invert the airframe for starting; after started, revert to upright.

Les
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:33 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
" Are there any issues with running a "smaller" 4 stroke inverted. "

No different than any other. I have been known to invert the airframe for starting; after started, revert to upright.

Les

Thats funny... I mentioned that to a friend last night when we were discussing me going inverted. I said back in the old days.. i remember seeing guys doing this but not in a loooooong time. I thought there may have been some changes to carbs, etc in the newer engines. Well that's good.. I will take a little time and invert it. it's one of those things where down the road I'll be seeing the head sticking out and say you know I should've........ Depending how much cowl needs to be rremoved I was thinking smething like this but maybe not so drastic, though this cutout is scale per what was being modeled.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:57 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Hi thermalin I have had inverted motors get flooded while just sitting from a siffening from the tank. If one does not know it a good starter will mess a nice flooded motor up in a hurry. Dont ask me how i found this out . I just stopped in to see your build ,looks great so far.Now i have to go back and read all the posts .lol joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:51 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
Thats funny... I mentioned that to a friend last night when we were discussing me going inverted. I said back in the old days.. i remember seeing guys doing this but not in a loooooong time. I thought there may have been some changes to carbs, etc in the newer engines. Well that's good.. I will take a little time and invert it. it's one of those things where down the road I'll be seeing the head sticking out and say you know I should've........ Depending how much cowl needs to be rremoved I was thinking smething like this but maybe not so drastic, though this cutout is scale per what was being modeled.
Agreed...I have one eng sticking out for four years now,and the work to hide it then,seems negligible now.It irks me everytime.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:34 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,389 Posts
"I said back in the old days.. "

You need to understand that the "old days" were my days:-)))))))))))))))

Les
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:20 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
The old days to me were the early 70's. I remember hand launches of large trainers (from a spectator viewpoint)? One wouldn't even consider it today.

I inverted the motor and have an issue with the muffle as it exit directly into the front main gear. If I could angle or locate an exhaust with more bend it would be fine. The rule as i understand is the outflow area shouild be twice inflow area so I may open up the bottom a bit more.

This is neat but not for 50 bucks
http://www.pspec.com/details.asp?ProdID=52&category=4

I kept looking.. this is doable
http://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalo...t_Systems.html
Last edited by Thermalin; Mar 03, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:14 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,389 Posts
Nah. These were the "old" days.

Les
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:33 PM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
159 Posts
Wow, those are some old days :-) At least I can say I was on this planet before then. Thermalin... Not so sure. Check that car out!
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:34 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
I was in diapers.. or possibly even still a thought

I found what I needed to route the exhaust. A 90 degree adapter which will allow me with the stock extension to route direclty out the center bottom.
http://www.rcspecialties.net/product...el=RCS10x75/90

Was playing with the tank install. With the tank in the upright position it's next to impossible to route the lines downard. So I've never done this and not sure if its common, or if there is another way but I'm thinking of putting the tank in upside down? The stopper connections will then be epxosed and easy to hook up. While I ponder that I'm going to start the pull pull for the elev and rudder
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:57 PM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
159 Posts
What about a smaller tank that will give you some extra room to route?
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:11 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
The issue is the type of tanks available direct the routing upward

what i call a protector type.. keeps the lines and tubing from getting crushed. This tank itself blocks the lines from being able to run downard.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD723&P=ML

Tthe typical slant type. Less so but still need bend and rout downard.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFU50&P=7

with either when mounted upright no matter the size the lines will need to bend downward. The carb inlet and muffler nipple will be near the bottom of the cowl.

I dont' think it matters which orientation the tank is placed. right side up or upside down.