HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:16 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
...I'm pretty confident i found the issue.
You are pretty confident you found "the issue". Rather than check everything, you assume the job is done. Just cautioning you against assumptions. I'd check all the setup dimensions.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:47 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
Resoldered the front left bracket farther down the strut and all is well. All measurements are nearly identical.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:21 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
I had a lightbulb go off on the spreader bar after thinking about it for some time. I didnt care for the wooden spreader with rubber bands on each end at the wheels. I could see it vibrating away in flight. I wanted some thing shock absorbing as far as spreading so what I came up with was a brass outer tube cut in the middle and angled on each end to match the gear. The angle on each end is bolted to the gear down by the wheels. An inner brass tube allows the outer to ride on it and spread and close up again. I added small hooks with thin wire wrap and solder on the outer tube approx 2 inches each side of center. These are connected with the elastic that is used for bracelets and such. This is great stuff....doubled up its much better than rubber bands and without as much give. I have shrink tube over the whole mess and now the gear spreads approx 3/4" with a good tug and comes together nicely again. The elastic is replaceable as well which is nice.

We're off to the Sugar Bowl tomorrow for a few days so when I get back it soldering the plugs on the aileron wires, and finding some type of pilot bust and thats it. After all this I'm almost afraid to fly it but will when the planets are in aligment and the time and weather is right.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:21 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
One thing that has not been mentioned yet (so far as I can find) is the topic of the Center of Gravity.

Have you checked this yet?

Has any extra been needed adding to the nose in order to balance?

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:11 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
I had it all loaded up except for the pilot and it was smidge tail heavy.... i figured out I need about 2.5 ounces in the nose... and am looking into a weighted hub from harry higley. My last bit of business is a pilot and I originally was thinking of justs chopping a GI Joe type doll at the shoulders but I think that would put me more behing the 8-ball for CG... So I'm looking for a "foam" alternative or similar. To me this plane needs a pilot. Soooo... once i have the pilot bust on board.. I'll recheck the CG and order the correctly weighted hub. Then I;ll have to get up the nerve to take her to the field...
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:25 PM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,361 Posts
How about a stuffed "Snoopy" type character?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:33 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
OK... So, moving your engine back as you did, the CoG still was not too bad.
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:16 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
Apologize for not posting here.... I'm in the middle of fixing up a crashed clipped cub since i'm stuck on the pilot.

I assume if I didnt have to move the motor back the CG would have been good but it didnt affect it much. The only 1/6 scale pilot I have been able to find that isn't $$$ is this gal and she does look the part. Figure I can tie a scarf around her / his neck... darken up the blue jacket with the brown/greyish paint and it'll pass...
http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN9115

I suppose if I take off the lipstick and gruff up the face a bit.. who knows... for 7 bucks it's worth a shot so going to order her and see what we get. My daughter who has grown out of dolls, gave me permission to perform a beheading of Ken. He looks a bit to happy to be going off to battle and I have no idea how to get him in some cloths and goggles but placing him in the cockpit has re-ignited my juices to get this bird finished.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:04 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
I ordered this guy
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPZH9
and it's shipped. Going to paint him up and see what happens... I think it will be fun as I never painted a pilot figure before.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:08 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
Started painting the base colors. Painted a silver rim and brown on the goggles.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:14 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
Couldn't stop painting as it was a bit of fun... I think I need to take off some of the "dirt" on the face and fix up the lips just a bit. The goggles need to be shaved just a bit on one side so I can attach to the face better. Had some trouble with the lips getting a good pink... he looked like a drag queen there for a bit. Not to bad though considering I had no idea what I was doing... Some type of scarf should finish him up.

Wondering how to attach him now.. was going to put scruff up the inside and epoxy a thick slap of balsa to the inside base.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:36 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
He's ready for battle...
I used a rubber band for the headstrap and some linen type material for a neck scarf.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:32 PM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,361 Posts
That really looks good.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:59 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
Thanks...

I think in two weeks I take her up for the first flight. This weekend is bad and next weekend I leave for Brazil for work, back on Friday morning...we'll see.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:45 PM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
194 Posts
Yeah, he does look good. Nice job!
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna