HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:52 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,340 Posts
"Thanks... not sure why I didn't think of this... "

We usually adapt what we have/use/learn at work to satisfy our hobby. Since my beginnings were in electro-mechanical edsign (before CAD), I just carried those tools over.

" Heck.. a string, free to rotate secured to a sharp #11 would do the job. "

It would, but it would also be difficult to keep from wondering around, as you scribed the circle and your hands changed positions.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:30 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
[QUOTE=LesUyeda;22527030
" Heck.. a string, free to rotate secured to a sharp #11 would do the job. "

It would, but it would also be difficult to keep from wondering around, as you scribed the circle and your hands changed positions.

Les[/QUOTE]

You were right... as i rotated aroiund the first attempt the scribed circle became successively smaller in diam due to the string rolling in on the pencil. When i accounted for that it was better but still not great. Will try a hard / fixed length medium like those in the url.

spent the day bringing in furniture and battening down the hatches.. and as usual. it seems the storm is moving farther and farther west which is good.. .of course if you dont take precaution.. that seens to be when it hits. Flight was cancelled to Sao Paulo so it's scrambling time.

Tail feathes clevises and servos have fuel line keepers on now. Covering at nose is taken care of. Have very small rectangle holes cut next to rear cabanes for aileron wire plugs to run into fuse so I can connect inside rather than have the connection outside. Beleive I have the receiver locations (main and satellite) figured out. If all goes well I'll be back Fri morning. This is Apollo 13.. we'll see you on the other side of the moon Houston... (love that movie!)
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:01 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,340 Posts
"You were right... "

You and my wife:-)))))))))) Was there ever any doubt???:-))))))))

When you have been as deep into this hobby as I, for as long as I have, you have tried just about everything to save a buck, and time.

Les
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:28 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
"You were right... "

You and my wife:-)))))))))) Was there ever any doubt???:-))))))))

When you have been as deep into this hobby as I, for as long as I have, you have tried just about everything to save a buck, and time.

Les

Agree.... and for me.. I started when you couldn't just run to the store and pick up the lastest purpose designed gizmo to fix your problem. I think Dubro had 10 producst (not really but you get the idea). I enjoy the problem solving part of building as much as building. Used to love the hints an tips section of RCM. To this day I still have a comb screwed to my engine stand where I drop the throttle pushrod between the splines for a steady unattended setting.
Last edited by Thermalin; Aug 28, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:58 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
I was able to put some time in the last day or so and got serious about mounting the receiver, wires and tank after a day or so of thinking about. Not much room in there.. like putting sardines back in the can. Will put the tank back in todayand then put in the motor offset of 2 degrees right thrust. I was looking at an older issue of MA and a two part article on trimming provided an easy way to set right thrust. Believe it was using a 12" prop.. measring from tips to tailpost with 3/16" difference in lengths equaling one degree. After that it will be soldering ends onto the aileron wires to meet the extensions coming from the receiver.

I usually don't do much details until I fly it but since I don't know how this is going to go on the maiden I decided to paint the roundels on the wing tops. No fuel iwll get up there so it wont be an issue and that will be easier than continuing to try to get nice circles cut from film. I was hoping to be ready for our warbird funfly this weekend but dont think that's going to happen.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:36 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
I have the motor mounted and based on measurements is just less than 2 degrees right thrust and 1 degree down from using thin washers behind the mount... Receiver and tank are back in. Need to mount the cowl and work on the finishing touches
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:05 AM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Been down with a nasty bug for a couple days and today I felt good enough to work a bit.
I painted the wheels and scuffed them up a bit and they look ok. I pushed som paper towels between the rubber and rim with paniters tape on half. I cut the roundels but they're not right. The green needs to be thicker so I'm going to cut another. I primed the cowl and it seems they are red / white stripe or green / white stripe or red, green and white stripe. I think I like red, green and white. Stripes are on the thick side.
Last edited by Thermalin; Sep 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:33 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Took some pictures for MR CESSNA.. .as I have been promising them for him (I'm told) !!

Basically built now.. need to finish up a few details. Add the aluminum covers, paint inside of wheels. .add a spreader bar, paint stripes on the cowl... add faux rocker arms on the wing, windshield and insignia on sides. Was hoping to run the motor today but rained most of the afternoon. It has a few tanks through it but not for some time. Cowl was placed on but not attached so it looks askew... same for fuel lines..not connected.
Last edited by Thermalin; Sep 16, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,224 Posts
I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been following along. The ship looks really nice!

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:32 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been following along. The ship looks really nice!

EJWash

Thanks.. after this I still need to repair my clipped cub.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:06 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
I painted the cowl tonight and it came out pretty good. Need to let the red cure completely before dulling it. I only had red gloss in spray so the shine needs to come off.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:12 AM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
158 Posts
Bout time on those pictures. I really like the looks of this plane. Very nice. I can't wait for the maiden. I'll take the video so it can be posted.... The colors you selected really make it. This weekend maybe? Next week if weather is not worthy?
wcessna is online now Find More Posts by wcessna
Last edited by wcessna; Sep 18, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:27 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Dulled the grey and red and it looks better. Gave it a light sanding and rubbed the dust across and into both colors. I think some sort of flat sealer is needed?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:31 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,340 Posts
Clear Krylon comes in a Matte finish, and since it is outside the cowl, fuel residue will be minimal.

Les
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:47 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
Clear Krylon comes in a Matte finish, and since it is outside the cowl, fuel residue will be minimal.

Les
Thanks.. I'll try that.. and exhaust is routing out the bottom as well.

I added the smaller of the two metal panels temporarily. I picked up some 0 size screws and I think they look the part. I thought I needed more but the plan showed the screw locations. The other side is more than twice as large and I'll put that on tomorrow. Instructions say to expoxy it to the frame which would require removing some covering and I think the screws would need some help. They're only going into the 1/32 ply. Plan and google show it angled back a bit as well.