HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:45 AM
United States, NJ, Berkeley Heights
Joined Nov 2009
232 Posts
Discussion
Mini-D Micro DLG

Hi all,

I've never done dlg or hl rc although I have a radian pro a a few other planes.
I have an unused ar6400 and this simple kit was inexpensive and seemed like it might be fun to toss about.

http://www.skyhighhobby.com/micro-d-...lg-glider.html

Anybody out there built one yet, or have tips for my upcoming micro-D build?

Thanks.
AeroHeadTW is offline Find More Posts by AeroHeadTW
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AeroHeadTW; Feb 06, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:20 AM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
419 Posts
Highly recommended! Like you I had never tried a dlg and bought this kit to try it out. Even with a bum shoulder this model flys beautifully! I use SAL, side arm launch and get about 30 seconds on a calm evening. Can't wait till the snow and cold are gone to find some spring thermals Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Last edited by Aeronut41; Jan 22, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:38 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,654 Posts
Looks very cool
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, IL, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2002
977 Posts
Anyone know if these are in stock ready to ship?
Is this company here in the states?
wgeffon is offline Find More Posts by wgeffon
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:19 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeffon View Post
Anyone know if these are in stock ready to ship?
Is this company here in the states?
check out the shipping. international /USA
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Feb 2002
977 Posts
Ya,
Looks like they are here in the states.

Wonder if they have any available.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Oct 2006
21 Posts
Here's two related threads:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...glider&page=13
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834890
Mitch
MitchK is online now Find More Posts by MitchK
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
It's a sweet little dlg.

My grandson bought & built one about 2 months ago.
It flies just like the video shows. I think the kits are put together to order, or maybe he has 1 or 2 pre made & ready to go.

Form order to delivery it took about 9-10 days but well worth the wait!!

A.H.TW, I'll see if I can get him to come on & let you know about his thoughts re. the build.

Larry
LAR43 is offline Find More Posts by LAR43
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Nov 2009
232 Posts
Thanks. It looks like the kits were just released fairly recently--so maybe this thread can be the clearinghouse for discussing the Mini-D. I know I've gotten alot out of the epp yak, micro p-51, 3dhs threads, etc.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Selected FPV Flights
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:41 PM
USA, MI, Birmingham
Joined Sep 2010
37 Posts
I have never built anything so small, but I want to.
A quick read of the linked threads did not turn up much info on Rx/servo/battery choices; can anyone tell me if an Orange 6 channel Rx (or AR600 size Rx), removed from the case, along with some 5g servos would be too big or too heavy?
headdead is offline Find More Posts by headdead
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Feb 2002
977 Posts
Looks like the plane is designed around the 6400 Brick.
Servos and receiver all combined on the same board.

Any other receiver by itself is going to be too big and then, you'd have to add servos.
Probably not going to work.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:26 PM
USA, MI, Birmingham
Joined Sep 2010
37 Posts
Thanks. Looks pretty elegant.
headdead is offline Find More Posts by headdead
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:05 PM
Dub Cult.
Long Island NY
Joined Feb 2011
95 Posts
Hey guys! I am the said grandson.

Anyways the guy who sells them is names Leon AKA littlephoenix here on the forums. As far as customer service he is amazing and very fast to respond with any answers you may have.

Now as far as building this little guy and flying. These micros have to have the absolute lightest wing load possible. Now I built mine on the chubby side and came out at around .8oz's if my memory is working.

Now on to the build tricks What I did was first take the wings and flip them upside down and you gently touch them together. You then take a piece 1" blue masking tape and you run it across the seam so now have the underneath of the wings taped together with the wings touching. So then you can glue the wings together. What I did was take some 5min epoxy mix it with a bit of micro balloons. You then take one wing and let the other hang so you basically are opening the seam sort of like a hinge. Then take the epoxy/MB mix and use a tooth pick and put a small bit along the edge and I mean a very thin coat just enough to coat one wings edge. Then place your wings on a flat surface and prop one wing tip up around 3-3.5" so you get your Dihedral set on the wings. Wipe off any excess epoxy that may have pushed out. Now while thats setting up move on to the next step, Take your rudder and boom and using a bit of light sand paper scuff the end of the boom and scuff the rudder a bit put a drop of CA on the Rudder place your boom square it up nice and kick it. Then you place your elevator on the small piece included to raise it slightly again using some CA place that on the boom at a perfect 90 to the rudder and kick that. Now at this point Check that your rudder and elevator are at or as close as you can get to 90 degrees to each other. and leave it. now at this point the wings should be dry... take the tape off the bottom and i like to use a small little clamp to hold the boom with the rudder hanging off the edge just so it doesnt spin around. So take your wings put a drop of FOAM SAFE ca.on the boom and place your wings on right on the seam. Try and get the wings, rudder and elevator all straight, the more square you get it the better it will fly. Once you are happy with all of that I took a bit of 5 minute epoxy again mixed with some micro balloons and put it on the rudder to boom seam, the same on the elevator to boom seam and finally just take a bit and put it along the entire seam of the boom to wings I put just a bit on both sides.. again LESS IS MORE. so once that is all setup and totally dry your ready to move on and just glue your little nose on cut it for the battery mount your electronics and let her rip!

If you guys need help on the build I have no problem building them for you. Just send them my way with like $20 to cover the return shipping and the glue and ill have them built in one night if you didnt want to bother. Just contact me on my email if you have more questions or need me to help you with them!

Sorry for the long reply i was trying to be as detailed as possible.
c.raynes is offline Find More Posts by c.raynes
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:30 AM
Joined Nov 2009
232 Posts
Thanks for the helpful post.

I'm eager to get my micro-d.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Selected FPV Flights
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:25 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,095 Posts
How much does the foam pod weigh?
thinking of getting one and replacing it with a kevlar or glass one.

Anyone think of doing a pull spring on this? those pushrods might be adding drag which could be reduced with pull spring.

Do you need weight to balance it? Was thinking of getting a FrSky Rx (2gr) and some HK servos (2x 1.7gr) instead of the Spektrum stuff. Was hoping I could narrow it up with separate components even though the separates might be a gr or so heavier.

VERY tempting!!!

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High