HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:51 AM
Justin S
United States, NC, Mt Holly
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
Chris, nice build thread!! I'm almost completely done with mine, and I wanted to point out something. The extended servo arms are not necessary to get the really high throws. But, I think you could get more elevator throw with the extended arm.

The thing I noticed is that the servo arm doesn't go on exactly perpendicular to the servo when electronically centered, so you lose a little movement (in my case, up) because of the sub-trim that's needed to get the surface centered.

Even with this, I'm still getting around 45 degrees on the "short" side of the elevator throw, which I'm sure will be enough. With the longer arm, I think you could completely max out the throw in both directions.

With the stock arm on the rudder, the rudder is within a 1/4" of the elevator, and I think I could get more...so absolutely no need for the longer arm there from what I see.
justinsebastian is offline Find More Posts by justinsebastian
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:13 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
With this plane it is do responsive that you really only need about +- 35 degrees in the tail to get great 3D performance. In the Ails you definitely want as much as you can get.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:34 AM
Round Lake, IL
Joined Sep 2005
151 Posts
I have been out of foamy flying for some time, but still have some equipment. Do you guys think an Axi 2204/54 would work on this airframe? I always ran it with a 3s 450 pack, but not sure if that setup will be too heavy for this plane. Looks like I can run that motor on 2s, just not sure if it will be enough. Any thoughts?

http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...e=54&line=GOLD

Thanks!

Brian
bjohnson80 is offline Find More Posts by bjohnson80
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:36 AM
Justin S
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
With this plane it is do responsive that you really only need about +- 35 degrees in the tail to get great 3D performance. In the Ails you definitely want as much as you can get.
Then you absolutely don't need to worry about the extended arms. I remember that it didn't need much elevator. It has a TON of aileron throw I have a feeling I'll be dialing back, or flying in a mid-rate configuration most of the time.
Last edited by justinsebastian; Jan 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:38 PM
Justin S
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
By the way, for those of you using the 6 channel orange spektrum receiver (the one that TH sells), it helps a bunch to take the case off.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:05 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnson80 View Post
I have been out of foamy flying for some time, but still have some equipment. Do you guys think an Axi 2204/54 would work on this airframe? I always ran it with a 3s 450 pack, but not sure if that setup will be too heavy for this plane. Looks like I can run that motor on 2s, just not sure if it will be enough. Any thoughts?

http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...e=54&line=GOLD

Thanks!

Brian
Brian,

I did some research and it looks like that motor will work well on 2s with a 9x4.7 prop if you want to use 2s. Another option is to just use 3s 350 or so if you want to stay around the same weight. I plan on trying both 350 and 450 on 3s, I'll let you know how it works with the heavier packs.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:37 PM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,312 Posts
Thanks for the kudos peeps,,,,,,,,,,,

Couple of thoughts, IMHO attending big events, the market of indoor F3P /3D is pretty standardized now on 50W with 20g batteries into a 8X4.3 Slo Fly prop on planes of 4-5 oz.

The CY falls nicely into this catagory with just bumping up the batttery to 30g and 60-70W into same prop, @ 5-6oz with durable EPP and supplied hardware/electronic setup. It really is exactly what I needed and wanted as the 4-5oz are purpose built and delicate with highly modified electronics and hardware.

My other new 2012 model I have had since 10/11, is the Telink Xtra Slick, it is a most excellant flyer and at 26oz with 400W static it slows to a snails pace as well, however 400W into an APC11X4.7 Slo Fly prop gets it moving in short order, I love to do WOT 75' loops off the tip of the TX and listen to the airframe whistle......

Then my next 2012 model I madened this month as well is the EF 48" Edge 540 with 800W into a Vox 12X6, To say that flying with Chris J and Chris H for a week @ triple tree in SEPT, has had a huge impact on my fleet would be an understatement, but this fleet has really opened my eyes to the ease of which a design can accomplish BIG TRICKS and precision, up to this point I felt where a lack of skillsets late in the game @ 50years old.

You can be assured that TEAM TW really sets the bar high in whatever CJ were to expect out of a 3D design and why I pay to play. I'm hooked, I just hit the SEND FUNDS icon.......

Now I just got to get NATASHA , to do the back against the wall CY pose in her 5" silettos with my CRACK YAK at E-fest......
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:52 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Very nice c/f. The Crack Yak looks even better in the air, can't wait to get my hands on one. What set up are you running? can't make it out in your vid but the motor looked gold.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:20 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,885 Posts
Speaking of E-Fest... Who is going?

Let me rephrase that as to stay on topic...

Which of you Twisted pilots are going to E-Fest?

(yup - that's better)

I'll be there on Saturday.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JC Spohr; Jan 25, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
Round Lake, IL
Joined Sep 2005
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
Brian,

I did some research and it looks like that motor will work well on 2s with a 9x4.7 prop if you want to use 2s. Another option is to just use 3s 350 or so if you want to stay around the same weight. I plan on trying both 350 and 450 on 3s, I'll let you know how it works with the heavier packs.
Great, thanks. Looking forward to your results with the heavier packs.
bjohnson80 is offline Find More Posts by bjohnson80
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:55 PM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,733 Posts
Well,I just bit the bullet,and ordered one! (Like I need another plane) Ron
Ron_Dog is offline Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:01 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,319 Posts
She's done and ready for maiden in the morning, AUW with battery is 6.5 oz so I'm really happy with this
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:18 PM
Prague Ruzyne, Czechoslovakia (former)
Joined Jan 2003
461 Posts
the first video is posting right now...

posted! the plane is amazingly close to depron shocky performance indoors...

Twisted Hobbys / RC Factory Crack Yak (5 min 1 sec)
David Kyjovsky is offline Find More Posts by David Kyjovsky
Last edited by David Kyjovsky; Jan 25, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:26 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,950 Posts
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:34 PM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,733 Posts
Ron_Dog is offline Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!