SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:18 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
828 Posts
Maidened mine yesterday!

After work and some errands I rushed to the park, where my FB was already flying his Widowmaker. The temperature was about 50F (and dropping fast,) wind about 10 mph. flew one 460 3-cell NanoTech in my RACores EppYak 55 (with tip plates) to get my thumbs going. Then I flew the remaining two batteries in the new Crack Yak. WOW, what a wonderful plane!

The greatest difference in the two planes is the lack of coupling in the CY. Very little aileron is required in flat turns. Knife-edge is supremely easy - little or no rudder is required. I was able to snap-to-hover repeatedly - a trick that I had not previously done well. All in all, I managed the best 3D I have ever flown. Of course all things are relative - I'm still a 3D beginner.

The Crack Yak doesn't exhibit much wing-rock, but much more than the EppYak - the tip-plates really made the EppYak rock solid.

I could say more, but suffice it to say that I LOVE the Crack Yak!

Dave

BTW, I am running a 1500kv Blue Wonder 24g motor and a Castle Creations T-bird 18 speed control.
I'm using an APC 8X3.8 prop. Servos are all Futaba 3114 high-torque micro.
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Last edited by ombudsman; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:21 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel8or View Post
Finished mine yesterday (2-11-2013). I plan on flying it this weekend if the weather holds up. I have it balanced for 2s; now I'm having second thoughts, because the all-up weight is 7.3 ounces on mine, with landing gear. Did not expect it to be that heavy.
Oh no worries, it will be a blast on 2S, trust me. Looking at your fresh new Crack Yak makes me jealous. I've been debating with myself on whether to build a nice new one with the new "Crack Series" motor.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:27 PM
accel8or
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
Oh no worries, it will be a blast on 2S, trust me. Looking at your fresh new Crack Yak makes me jealous. I've been debating with myself on whether to build a nice new one with the new "Crack Series" motor.
Yeah, the new motor looks like a game changer from the standard Blue Wonder motors that I've used on other 3d foamies. Thanks for the encouragement on using the 2s I'll see if i can get somebody to video the maiden this weekend. Thank you KamikazePilot and Bloosee!
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How people size you up
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:51 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,677 Posts
I reckon the only way to improve at knife edge is to fly it, until you get it. So i flew 2 packs on knife. Im still not very good, it requires reversal of the elevator and rudder (depending on canopy or belly facing), fine trim of the ailerons, and fine throttle control (which incidentally wasnt required on the sim). Quite a lot in fact !. So im doing knife until i can do circuits, i think it might be a while.
I nearly took my head off at 1.20.

Knife Edge (3 min 22 sec)
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:28 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
What does the Mrs think to your new hair cut Jimbo

Practice make perfect, your gona have to get some lights on that thing. At least you got to go out today, it was blowing a gale up here
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:32 PM
accel8or
Joined Dec 2010
485 Posts
The way I learned k.e. was on the sim first, always thinking that rudder & aileron are opposing. and turning is by using the elevator. it's just a fun move, even while learning nice video, btw. you're on the right track!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:58 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,677 Posts
Lights, yeah, I forgot about them. Can't remember where I put em.
I think it's gonna be a while til I can do a full circuit. Pretty weird lifting the nose with the rudder and vice versa. Did the music work? I got a message saying blocked in some counties.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:01 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Smack Yak
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:39 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,382 Posts
One Crack Yak $75, Radio gear and batteries for said Crack Yak $200, A go pro camera $250. Crack Yak flying toward your head in Knife Edge: Priceless.

Nice one again jimbo. Music works fine on my end.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:49 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,773 Posts
The Crack Yak is how I learned to fly KE, then perfected it on the big Telink Extra Slick.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:13 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
One Crack Yak $75, Radio gear and batteries for said Crack Yak $200, A go pro camera $250. Crack Yak flying toward your head in Knife Edge: Priceless.
OMG 2 more packs, more knife edge practice, and two more near head shot misses.
Perhaps I'd better go back to the sim, or I'll be in hospital sooon. The Pitts on 3s makes quite a racket when it flys past your ear.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:05 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
OMG 2 more packs, more knife edge practice, and two more near head shot misses.
Perhaps I'd better go back to the sim, or I'll be in hospital sooon. The Pitts on 3s makes quite a racket when it flys past your ear.
Little tip when on the Sim Jimbo always have a little wind enabled will make you work a little harder and be more like flying in reality.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:59 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,382 Posts
Who needs a barber when they have a Crack Yak.

Adding wind in the sim when practicing is great. If it lets you do it where the wind wraps around helps too.

The winds have kicked up a notch here, so I'm going be stuck building and doing some sim time myself.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:43 PM
accel8or
Joined Dec 2010
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
Who needs a barber when they have a Crack Yak.

Adding wind in the sim when practicing is great. If it lets you do it where the wind wraps around helps too.

The winds have kicked up a notch here, so I'm going be stuck building and doing some sim time myself.
And for a close shave, razor blades on the prop Yeah, adding wind lets you do some cool things like knife edge hovers. Have you tried flying the CY at the RF6 glider slopes?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:02 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,382 Posts
Not yet well I did try one then went to a lake site. I'm digging the yak off the small pier. And you can rip the wing off the yak in the sim and still fly it.

Need to check my fleet and batteries, so having high winds this weekend is a good excuse.