Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:31 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey572 View Post
Question...

I'm getting some vibration with an 8X4.3 TuffProp on the combo motor, at all RPMs. I balanced the prop, and it was SLIGHTLY better but was still getting some buzzing. Then while letting a friend try it out, the prop popped off of the saver causing a belly landing (no damage).

It seems like the prop saver is slightly too small to keep the prop perfectly centered. It came with a couple of other adapters, but both are too big. I'm using the recommended heavy duty o-rings.

Any suggestions?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tart_Cord.html

^ Lifetime supply of high quality O-rings. Much better than any rubber-based alternative. Far stronger, more resilient, and more tolerant of being left under load for long periods of time (don't have to take it off when done flying for the day).

I regularly abuse the hell out of my props and prop savers on my CY and Edge 540. Average is one hard nose smack per session, with a couple of "gee, that's not so bad" impacts thrown in for good measure

Vibrating prop generally means one of the blades is bent too far forward or backward.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:46 AM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Check this out:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419378

Do a google search for Thera bands. Surgical tubing you can buy in US...
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:46 AM
LOWERRR!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2006
1,481 Posts
I had the bent blade issue with GWS props often. I eyeballed this one and it looks straight...

I'll tinker with it more tomorrow. It's in a hangar at work, I'm cozy under the covers, and it's raining outside... screw it

Edit: thanks for the links, I'll check them out. I can't remember if this prop saver can be flipped, but i just remembered that fixed the issue on my other foamy (prop fit better on the other side).
MadMonkey572 is offline Find More Posts by MadMonkey572
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:29 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampflyer View Post
Hey fellow crack addicts, question for ya....

I have a TH lite power combo in my crak yak lite and I'm wondering what if anything from that lite power combo can be used on the original crak yak?

My lite is getting pretty beat up and instead of replacing it with another fresh lite kit I was thinking of getting the original. I fly strictly outdoors anyways and love to fly in the wind....

Thanks folks.
Yep...nothing beats the original CY for the wind...I'd especially go with the heavier motor and ESC. I just recently did the opposite, I equipped my Lite series with the 26g motor and love it. It's like flying 3s and the weight wasn't noticeable. I actually liked it more for outdoors.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, FL, Keystone Heights
Joined Dec 2012
627 Posts
that would be an easier option..

what do you like about it more now, with the heavier motor?
fly better outdoors in a small breeze?

thanks.
swampflyer is offline Find More Posts by swampflyer
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:41 PM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Yes, a little better in the breeze, and gobs of power...my lite kit came in at 6oz. even, w/450 lipo.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:44 PM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
I had all sorts of issues with the prop savers. I dont use them any more. I use cable ties now, i find they break equally as effective as the prop savers, but dont wear out and the propellor start to slop around.

I refurbished my swiss fish over the holidays, no flying due to the rain.. She now sports a 6inch shorter wingspan and new colour scheme, perhaps she will do the rolling loops now like the sweasel will.

Untitled by slopeflyer12, on Flickr
You mean small zip-ties? Hmmm
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:07 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,639 Posts
Yes, like this.

jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:10 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,639 Posts
I was tempted to fly today, but I'd need water floats!

Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:37 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Yes, like this.

Wow, that's brilliant! I've got soooo many of those small zip ties... This will be perfect!

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:38 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
My new Crack Yak should be here tomorrow and in the air by Saturday evening! Because I'm gonna build it like a boss (with very few mistakes, I hope)!!!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:47 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,340 Posts
Hyperion motor, tasty. I feel for ya jimbo bout not getting airtime.

Just take your time Mad. Rushing ends up in mistakes, ask me how I know.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:05 PM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
Yes, a little better in the breeze, and gobs of power...my lite kit came in at 6oz. even, w/450 lipo.
so Dan what you saying is that the CYL motor is just lighter,or less power,
i would think because of the 1750kv rating that it would be more powerful,
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,676 Posts
Quote:
I had all sorts of issues with the prop savers. I dont use them any more. I use cable ties now, i find they break equally as effective as the prop savers, but dont wear out and the propellor start to slop around.
Have you tried silicone (surgical) tubing? It stretches during hard impacts rather than breaking, which lessens the shock to the motor and mount. Looking at those cable ties, my guess is that the comparative lack of stretch would transfer quite a jolt to the rest of the plane from a prop strike.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:09 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,639 Posts
Mad, make sure you put the eye on opposing sides of the prop. See the pic. That way it should balance ok. Mine works fine, its super smooth, and it holds the prop on with 3S and will break 'before' the prop breaks. Play around until you get a solid fit that looks symmetrical.

Kam, I need the small ply formers on the front on that, with that motor on 3s it is ballistic!