HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:49 PM
Germany, NDS, Wolfsburg
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
That is so amazing...for me this has nothing to do with training...it's simply magic.
Zepner is offline Find More Posts by Zepner
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:58 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
I had a good go on the sim today, i also found that using the rudder late (by this i mean overrunning the dead central point) gave you the turn, much more effectively than turning with the elevator. In the end i was just adjsuting the pitch with the elevator.
I look at it more in the way that your trying to use both to steer and both to maintain height just with different amounts of each in different attitudes. Think of the inputs for a big long slow roll and now turn that slow roll in to a one roll circuit, a thing of beauty when done right. If you only used one surface to steer and the other to maintain height it just wouldn't work the same. Saying that, it is possible to do a pretty reasonable rolling circuit with an aileron elevator model, it's just a little more ragged round the edges.

Quote:
I like to roll left circuits, with a right roll (or outward i think you call it). Thats my preferred, i was practising right circuits with a right roll (so an inward roll). This is where i found the rudder more effective.
Be careful not to fall into the same trap I did, make sure to try and practice rolling left too. At one point I could do pretty decent inward and outward rolling circuits rolling left but could hardly manage a single bog standard right roll

Quote:
I also had a go at rolling loops, which once i tried to do a rolling circle but vertical, it started to click. So it was a good session on the sim. Managed a few nice ones, some rolling 8s and rolling cubans I think on the rolling loop you use the elevator to turn (need more time to be sure of this).
That's the odd thing about rolling loops for me. I can do rolling cuban 8s not too bad but when I try to do a normal rolling loop I loose it as it should be tucking back under. I really need to get my sim up and running again and spend some time trying to nail it down.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:25 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,657 Posts
More rain, more sim today. Things are certainly better than my last session a few months back on the sim. Right rollers looking decent both ways, left ragged, and rolling loops improving. The power is a lot more critical in the rolling loop, and I think Honer mentioned the way the rolling speeds up as you fall, so you have to reduce aileron throw. Timing is very critical as you go over the top, get it slightly wrong and it's all over the place.
Who is that joe smith guy, some amazing flying. I loved that rolling elevator, never seem that before.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:44 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
I look at it more in the way that your trying to use both to steer and both to maintain height just with different amounts of each in different attitudes. Think of the inputs for a big long slow roll and now turn that slow roll in to a one roll circuit, a thing of beauty when done right. If you only used one surface to steer and the other to maintain height it just wouldn't work the same. Saying that, it is possible to do a pretty reasonable rolling circuit with an aileron elevator model, it's just a little more ragged round the edges.
I used to do them with aileron and elevator only.

A couple weeks ago, I started trying to do the single slow roll circle. It really makes you think about the inputs.

Initially I got the 1st quarter, then the 2nd, and then the 3rd had me stuck for a bit. Then it clicked in and I moved onto the 4th and final quarter of the circle.

It worked for me. Of course I am still practicing it on the sim and have moved to working on it on my 48" Sbach. Now I need to start trying the opposite direction on the sim.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Feb 2012
116 Posts
My first one stripped without even flying the plane. 2nd one lasted about a minute, then I lost elevator and rudder servo. The TP 5 g servo's are junk, I had some cheap Detrum 9g laying around and installed them. Flying almost daily for over a month with zero problems, even cranked the elevator to 110% just to see how it would hold up. No problems at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhavener View Post
I stripped the rudder servo today Any tips on replacing it? Just cut it out and glue in a replacement?
Mr Oz is offline Find More Posts by Mr Oz
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:06 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oz View Post
My first one stripped without even flying the plane. 2nd one lasted about a minute, then I lost elevator and rudder servo. The TP 5 g servo's are junk, I had some cheap Detrum 9g laying around and installed them. Flying almost daily for over a month with zero problems, even cranked the elevator to 110% just to see how it would hold up. No problems at all.
So i could use 9g servos instead of 5g and be just fine? Would 9g mg servos be too heavy?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Feb 2012
116 Posts
At my skill level I could not tell the difference from weight. What good is something a tiny bit lighter that does not work and you can't fly? Matter a fact it feels more precise now and I had a buddy fly it to get his opinion, he agreed and is installing 9g now in his Crack Yak since he lost 2 5g rudder servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
So i could use 9g servos instead of 5g and be just fine? Would 9g mg servos be too heavy?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
116 Posts
Here is a pic of the 9g servo's I just installed in my TH Extra Slick
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:39 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I have four Crack series planes and all but one are set up with tower pro 5g on the tail, while I have managed to strip one(which I wouldn't have expected not to strip given the whack it got) and one that I literally wore out I have been more than happy with them. Happier with them than the "ahem" quality hitec 5045hb's on the other one They have all been flown a lot too, I don't keep track but we are talking hundreds of flights on them all. Oh and they are all wound up to 150% travel too
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:51 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
5g tower pro are more than up to the job no need to add 9g servos i have had hundreds of flights on my Crack series and they have had some serious abuse, especial when flying urban gorilla making regular contact with brick walls and iron railings and still yet to have a 5g go on me.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,657 Posts
Id also say the servos hold up well, if youre not a newbie... They dont break when the pros fly them (Kris/Avie), but with dumb thumbs, they dont last as long...
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
116 Posts
Agreed I'm a "dumbthumb" But I had 2 5g servos that never made a flight and one rudder servo that failed after 10 seconds and a couple of flat rudder turns. Must of got a batch of defects?

Quote:
Id also say the servos hold up well, if youre not a newbie... They dont break when the pros fly them (Kris/Avie), but with dumb thumbs, they dont last as long...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Feb 2012
116 Posts
You are lucky! Could I have the lottery numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
5g tower pro are more than up to the job no need to add 9g servos i have had hundreds of flights on my Crack series and they have had some serious abuse, especial when flying urban gorilla making regular contact with brick walls and iron railings and still yet to have a 5g go on me.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:40 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,344 Posts
I'm cruel to my planes, just two stripped servos in the year I've been flying. Last one was a rudder landing from five feet up. Doing a hover on a pack that dumps, bad idea! Running hextronic and tower pro servos in my birds. Guess I'm lucky like Kris and Avie.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:02 PM
Justin S
United States, NC, Mt Holly
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
I definitely beat the crap out of mine, I hardly ever hover without putting the rudder on the ground. I've had 1 of the servos go out on rudder in hundreds, if not 1000+ flights. I bought a few extra of those servos since they're so cheap, and they've been in the drawer since I got em. I would say if you've broken more than 1 or 2 after 1000 flights, you're having bad luck. Sounds like maybe just a bad batch you got.
justinsebastian is offline Find More Posts by justinsebastian