HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:50 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arena View Post
Rolling Circles. Must be something done with a magic mirror and wires. Just can't pull it off with the Crack, or the simulator. Tips anyone?
Practice 4-point rolls until you're blue in the face. A single complete revolution first, then string two together, then continuous 4-point rolling, right to left pass in front of you, then left to right...

Eventually you'll find that the stick movements for 4-point rolls are starting to flow together into a continuous repeatable motion, and that's the start of your rolling circles. Rolling harriers are just a slightly harder variant.

Don't get discouraged either. It takes months of dedicated practice for most people - years in some cases if practicing often is not an option. I'd guess somewhere between 100 and 200 packs for that initial "hey, that was almost an ugly but sustained rolling circle, sorta, kinda, if you squint" feeling, and that much again for something resembling proficiency.

Low rates can help, especially on fast-rolling planes like this one, and especially when you're starting.

It's all about practice and effort invested. That's what makes 3D so rewarding
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:14 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Kamikazi Pilot. What expo rates are you using with those rates?

I have been flying with all rates at 80% with 30% expo.
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:29 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,082 Posts
I used to use around 75% expo on everything. It will smooth things up. I now use around 50% expo on ele/rud and 25% or so on ail. I have dual rates, full on one switch and then reduced aileron for the lower rate (ele/rud stay 100%) - to learn rollers, I was visiting someone in hospital over an extendend period one time, and ended up with a lot of spare time. One day, I spent a whole day getting the rollers down on the sim and that did it.
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:34 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Great video's Rick.

I found the hardest bit to getting rolling circles was the last quarter when it starts coming back at you. Like H2SO4 said getting the stick inputs and timing down for four point rolls then smoothing them out and linking them together together to get consecutive rolls in a straight line line is the first part. Then to bend it round the circuit you have to bring the timing forward for an outward rolling circle or delay it for an inward rolling circle. I did the same as Rick too with ailerons set on very low rates but rudder and elevator on high rates. I don't use it much now as it can stop the roll when you get very high alfa on rolling harriers but to start off with it was handy to just jam the aileron stick hard over and just concentrate on your rudder elevator inputs.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:46 AM
ride hard and fly low
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
It takes very little input to do rolling circles with these planes.
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,333 Posts
On both the sim and model I have 60 on full and 20 on low rates. As the other guys already mentioned it takes quite a bit to get good at. I went the tougher route and started doing the harder stuff instead. What can I say, I like a challenge.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:53 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
I started learning rolling circles by doing the only thing I knew how to keep it going. I started doing them using the rudder only, no elevator. That way I was only thinking about 1 input. They looked a little clunky obviously but you could call it a rolling circle. Then after I was comfortable with what my left thumb was doing I started adding the elevator where needed to smooth it out. May not work for all but that's how it learned it. I haven't mastered going both directions yet but getting there.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,348 Posts
Man, I have to get my build queue reduced so I can order one of these for the winter.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:20 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Don't get discouraged either. It takes months of dedicated practice for most people - years in some cases if practicing often is not an option.
Ive been practising for 6 months and lots of stick time, I still havent got a clue.
Only 14 year olds can get it in a coupla months, us oldies dont have a chance of a quick learning curve, itll take years i reckon.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
534 Posts
Had to replace the rudder servo. Very calm weather here today flew 8 batteries only bonked her twice.

Just got some blue thera band delivered for prop savers.

Boy this plane is fun to fly!
wayfaringdreamer is online now Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:45 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Flew the crack yak today with the mg90s installed on the rudder. Flew great. Was @ MLTs field today and let him get a pull on the crack yak and he loved it.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:38 AM
AirSurfer
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Sep 2011
621 Posts
I'm building my Crack yak and wanted to ask what's the throw /deflection of each control surface ?
is there a setup for low /high rates ?.
TBone08 is offline Find More Posts by TBone08
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:33 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,333 Posts
Hey Tbone I'm pretty sure most guys have 45 degrees of throw on the Yak. As to high and low rates depends on the flyer.
On mine I have it set at.
High 100%
Low
Ailerons 50%
Elevator and rudder at 75%
Expo
High +60
Low +25

Good luck on your build.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:25 AM
AirSurfer
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Sep 2011
621 Posts
thanks. theres no set rate from Twisted ?
TBone08 is offline Find More Posts by TBone08
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
534 Posts
Just flew 4 batteries, great weather here. The more I fly the CY the more I love this plane!

On 3rd flight the thera band prop saver let go and the prop went sailing off into the blue!

Was able to land it with no problem and found the prop put it back on and finished the battery.

Charging some batteries for the SBach.
wayfaringdreamer is online now Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer