HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:06 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
I am a little biased as a team member for Twisted and the designer of the Crack Yak but I think the Crack Yak is the best of the best in the EPP Xtreme Aerobatic and 3D market. It is a well tested and high quality design. It is built by the absolute best EPP kit manufacturer on earth and it is supported by the best in the business customer support crew at Twisted.

Here are some design traits:

Size. It is a little pocket rocket. 32" wingspan. Fly it anywhere and in any space or wind condition. Generally I like the bigger is better idea but in this case we tried several sizes and people who have flown them like the smaller size best. Even in high winds, people liked the smaller version.

Roll rate. This thing rolls fast. If you have flown an Extreme Flight EXP or 3DHS Slick you will experience a similar roll rate here. So many of our smaller foamies have been slow rollers and that's fine for learning the maneuver but with this plane you can now wind it up and go crazy like a depron indoor foamy. Rolling 8s and loops are a blur!

Leading edge. The leading edge on this plane is notched to provide a clean stall break on elevator type maneuvers but also to give less wing area at the tips so that it will snap, turn and roll better. So, unlike a double taper wing that may tip stall to one direction or the other dramatically in a stall this one will stall relatively straight. It gives better harrier performance than a fully tapered wing but still retains some of the advantages of the taper. The notch also seems to act like a little vortex generator which also helps with slow speed rolls and turbulence going over the stab.

Elevator and rudder control. The tail length, position and design of the tail control surfaces make this plane a little more whippier (if that's a word) than the Xtra Slick for example. You can toss it around with the elevator with tight waterfalls and tumbles. The rudder will turn it around so fast that you can do knife edge loops in your trailer.

You will enjoy any of the Twisted 32" planes!

Chris.
Cool thanks for your reply. Will take it into account.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:45 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,239 Posts
Cool video from our good friend Mr. Dominguez ripping it up with a Crack Yak-55 in some heavy winds, Daniel you rock buddy
Daniel Dominguez on my Crack Yak 55 (Windy Day) (4 min 40 sec)
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:21 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,382 Posts
Just proves that the wind can be your friend. Very nice flying there Daniel.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:24 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Beautiful wind flying! I am amazed at what my Crack Yak can handle in the wind. Even with the 2s paks! I've flown mine on the Washington Pacific Coast when every body else is flying Kites of all shapes and size with a smooth wind off the Pacific at approx 20 mph. many flights in 10 - 15 mph gusty breezes in heavily wooded areas with turbulance all around. The extra quick response of this plane has saved me from many near miss goofs. Flown about 25 paks on it and no real visible damage yet. Had a carbon fibre control rod break on my 2nd flight (Replaced carbon fibre with equal diameter Bonze wire)) and went straight in from 75 ft with only a hairline 2" break in the fuse that glued back with no visible sign of damaged. Also once launched (4th flight), with my elevator trim negative and flew it into the ground breaking about 1/2 off the bottom of the verticle fuse just behind the motor. (Cut a "very fashionable" 45degree angle about 7/8ths) and "Viola" looks like it was " Made That WaY "!

Love my Crack Yak!
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:50 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
617 Posts
I replaced the aileron servo on my CY last night. No big deal really.

Disconnected the two push rods, unscrewed the control from the servo, used a new sharp #11 xacto to free the servo, bent the lower fuse a bit to get it out of the way, used a pair of long nose pliers and pulled it out, test fitted new servo, put some welders on the contact points in the fuse and slipped it in adjusting for fit.
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:09 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,382 Posts
Yeah the rudder and aileron servos don't seem to bad once you get going at it. The elevator servo, on the other hand looks like it'd be interesting, knock on wood I haven't had to replace it.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:26 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,641 Posts
I've done a few elevator servos and it's not as bad as it seems. Just slide a nice sharp blade along the case and pop it out. It helps to take the arm off the servo but leave it connected to the pushrod. It's also a good idea not too use too much glue to keep the servo in in the first place.

Great to see Daniel tearing it up with the Yak!
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:37 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
Just proves that the wind can be your friend. Very nice flying there Daniel.
Very true. When it's windy I go fishing..

Sunbatics - Swiss Fish on Acid (5 min 57 sec)
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:50 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,105 Posts
A beauty of a day yesterday, so went cracking. I love this plane!!
Crack Yak (4 min 15 sec)
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:56 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,105 Posts
One more that I think really shows the pulling power of the 26g Crack Series motor running 3s. It is quite some little motor!
26gram CS on 3s Crack Yak! Nice! (7 min 16 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:18 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,677 Posts
Superb.
So have Twisted signed you up yet? If not, they should!
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:38 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,105 Posts
Haha - thanks Jimbo! As you can see, I love these planes. I am about to build the pitts finally.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:42 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,382 Posts
Oh, look at all those lipos...

Nice flying and videos guys. It's about time you get on the Pitts bandwagon uptime. It's ties the Yak as my favorite plane so far.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:44 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Rolling Circles. Must be something done with a magic mirror and wires. Just can't pull it off with the Crack, or the simulator. Tips anyone?
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:53 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,382 Posts
Mine aren't the prettiest but they are rolling circles. I have the aileron rate about 45 to 55 and the elevator and rudder at 70 for both the sim and real Yak. I'm to slow on the sticks to attempt it at full rates. Hope that helps.