HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:18 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Never mind guys, I just aswered my own question. I broke down and actually read the manual for the ESC (I know, I know) that TH so nicely provides on their website. I just had to run through the Automatic Throttle Calibration. Now I know...
Baron68 is offline Find More Posts by Baron68
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Fixed my CY yesterday by putting a MG90 for rudder. Pain in the butt.. I happened to break a bit of the carbon rod while trying to position the servo. I had just enough left to get a good amount of throw.

On my next build I will make sure to use MGs all around. Even though this is the first time I stripped a servo on any of my CY birds.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
569 Posts
>>>>I broke down and actually read the manual

An act of last resort!
wayfaringdreamer is online now Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:43 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
I was desperate! Haven't had a Crack Yak fix in a week!

The original aileron servo broke so I replaced it with a Solar D220 Digital 9g Micro Servo. Kind of tricky to cut the old one out and replace with new but worth it. The ailerons center up perfect every time now. Now that I calibrated the throttle...all is good!
Baron68 is offline Find More Posts by Baron68
Last edited by Baron68; Nov 05, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Sep 2011
569 Posts
I have to replace my aileron servo as well due to pilot error.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:36 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,340 Posts
Hot glue and masking tape makes for easier replacement if needed.

On the subject of the esc. Has anyone tried the various other settings in the esc?
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:56 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringdreamer View Post
I have to replace my aileron servo as well due to pilot error.
Please report how the swap worked out and if you came up with any tricks. I was wondering about that.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:06 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Please report how the swap worked out and if you came up with any tricks. I was wondering about that.
I used a syringed and soaked the area with acetone. It didn't damage the foam or the servo. While it soaked I I cut away at it with a fresh blade and slowly pryed away. The only issue is getting in the socket where the servo is buried in. My mistake I glued the sides in also .. I won't do that again. Going back to my blue tape method that I did way back when I first had a yedge.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:45 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,095 Posts
I got a 4 pack fix this morning.... was worth it
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined Sep 2011
569 Posts
Quote:

Will do, I haven't gotten to it yet.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Jan 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doncius85 View Post
Is the Turnigy 2204-14T motor with 9x5 (or 8x4.3?) prop the best option from hobbyking for outdoors?
Very good motor. Have used on both the Crack Yak V1 plus the new Crack Lite.
Nimbus Dave is offline Find More Posts by Nimbus Dave
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:16 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Hey guys. Im thinking of getting the slicko or this crack yak as my first 3D plane. Do you guys have any pros and cons about the crack yak? I posted a similar post in the slicko thread to get some opinions on that one as well, so I would just like pros and cons on the crack yak.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:17 PM
Want to Fly, Have to Work
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
Quote:
I've had to replace the aileron servo twice on my Edge 540. I simply cut a rectangular piece of foam out of the wing right next to the servo, the same size as the servo case, pull that piece out and save. Then carefully cut through the glue around the servo with an x-acto knife to release the servo. Then just slide the servo sideways into the notch in the wing an pull it out. After putting in the new servo, glue the little piece of foam back in with Welders; you'll never know you cut that piece out. Piece of cake.
BeerBatter is offline Find More Posts by BeerBatter
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:20 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,193 Posts
Sounds like a good approach, thanks
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:48 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Hey guys. Im thinking of getting the slicko or this crack yak as my first 3D plane. Do you guys have any pros and cons about the crack yak? I posted a similar post in the slicko thread to get some opinions on that one as well, so I would just like pros and cons on the crack yak.
I am a little biased as a team member for Twisted and the designer of the Crack Yak but I think the Crack Yak is the best of the best in the EPP Xtreme Aerobatic and 3D market. It is a well tested and high quality design. It is built by the absolute best EPP kit manufacturer on earth and it is supported by the best in the business customer support crew at Twisted.

Here are some design traits:

Size. It is a little pocket rocket. 32" wingspan. Fly it anywhere and in any space or wind condition. Generally I like the bigger is better idea but in this case we tried several sizes and people who have flown them like the smaller size best. Even in high winds, people liked the smaller version.

Roll rate. This thing rolls fast. If you have flown an Extreme Flight EXP or 3DHS Slick you will experience a similar roll rate here. So many of our smaller foamies have been slow rollers and that's fine for learning the maneuver but with this plane you can now wind it up and go crazy like a depron indoor foamy. Rolling 8s and loops are a blur!

Leading edge. The leading edge on this plane is notched to provide a clean stall break on elevator type maneuvers but also to give less wing area at the tips so that it will snap, turn and roll better. So, unlike a double taper wing that may tip stall to one direction or the other dramatically in a stall this one will stall relatively straight. It gives better harrier performance than a fully tapered wing but still retains some of the advantages of the taper. The notch also seems to act like a little vortex generator which also helps with slow speed rolls and turbulence going over the stab.

Elevator and rudder control. The tail length, position and design of the tail control surfaces make this plane a little more whippier (if that's a word) than the Xtra Slick for example. You can toss it around with the elevator with tight waterfalls and tumbles. The rudder will turn it around so fast that you can do knife edge loops in your trailer.

You will enjoy any of the Twisted 32" planes!

Chris.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777