HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:26 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Cat Joe View Post
What do you guys do for replacement prop-saver rubber bands? I got this plane at the beginning of the month, and I've been flying the wings off of it. Yesterday, I went to fly and the rubber band broke.

Thanks,
Joe
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10609

I find the optimal slice is around 2mm wide. Less than that is too stretchy and too willing to let the prop go under WOT on 3S. More than 2mm becomes too strong and difficult to seat in its place over the prop.

10m divided by 2mm yields 5000 individual prop saver bands

The other advantage is that silicone won't degrade as rapidly as rubber, if its left on the prop between sessions. I found I really couldn't do that with rubber prop saved bands because they'd go brittle within days if I didn't remove them after flying. The silicone bands are much hardier in that respect, and I simply leave them on until one breaks. Even that rarely happens with 2mm widths.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
525 Posts
O rings from local hardware store have been working for me.

I also just got a bunch of the thick ones from twisted hobbys.

Saw a youtube vid of a guy who cuts exercise bands and claims they work great. (see H2S04 post above)
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, VA, Rockingham
Joined Sep 2010
26 Posts
I really like the heavy O rings from Twisted Hobbies on my Crack Yak. I am running the TH 2206 motor with their 12 Amp ESC, a GWS 8x6 prop and a Headsuprc 3S 350mAh 35C lipo. Those fat O rings will not fly off or allow the prop to vibrate under full power. However, I do use a mechanics "pick", ( an ice pick with a 90 degree bend at the tip) to help get it onto the prop saver, as they are stiff. Happy Flying, Oldpoppy
oldpoppy is offline Find More Posts by oldpoppy
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, CO
Joined Aug 2011
106 Posts
H2SO4, wayfaringdreamer, oldpoppy,

Thanks for the suggestions! I have some exercise band around here, so I think I'll try that. If it doesn't work, I'll buy some o-rings.

Thanks again!
Red Cat Joe
Red Cat Joe is offline Find More Posts by Red Cat Joe
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:26 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,321 Posts
Sling shot tubing works too. Use bands from Greg at wmparkflyers and the heavy duty o-rings on my birds without a hitch.

Got some airtime today and still love how this plane flys. Going have to sell the others since they just collect dust.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
+1 on the sling shot tubing. You can pick it up and Walmart for next to nothing.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Just pulled the stripped 5 gram servo out of my crack yak. Decided to go with a metal gear servo instead so I don't have to do this again. What are the recommendations ? This time will go back to wrapping them with blue tape and securing them with hot glue.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:18 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,609 Posts
I swopped my tower pro out for an eMax 9g on the rudder. Has taken my landings on the rudder out of prop hangs so far.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
I swopped my tower pro out for an eMax 9g on the rudder. Has taken my landings on the rudder out of prop hangs so far.
Thanks Jimbo.. Will look into those..
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Jul 2012
46 Posts
aileron horn arm

i,m changing my ailern differential horn arm on my crank yak, and was wondering inside or outside hole? i have seen both used. i use a dx6i radio.
groundman is offline Find More Posts by groundman
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:28 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Outer hole if you want more throw inner if you want less
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:45 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,182 Posts
Turn 60 today, bought myself one of these bad boys! Pulling the gear out of another plane. Build looks simple and straightforeward. Have not had time to look for mods, is there anything I need to do? Thanks!!!
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:09 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,321 Posts
Other than getting it built and flying I can't think of anything. This bird is to fun as is! Just have plenty of batteries charged you'll get addicted. Enjoy the plane...
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:37 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin' Wayne View Post
Turn 60 today, bought myself one of these bad boys! Pulling the gear out of another plane. Build looks simple and straightforeward. Have not had time to look for mods, is there anything I need to do? Thanks!!!
Wingin'... nice way to "treat" yourself..!! Box Stock Rocks!!
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:22 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Happy birthday Wayne. Welcome to the Crack club, you'll love it
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly