HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:20 AM
Registered User
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Why can't we use a slow fly prop with the standard set screw or comperssion type Collett bolt on set up and just get rid of this rubber band stuff? Props are cheap.
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:30 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I went with a custom wound motrolfly which has a longer protruding shaft and on 4s I have yet to encounter prop coming off using surgical tubing from Lowes.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:26 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Ducati Mechanic's Avatar
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arena View Post
Why can't we use a slow fly prop with the standard set screw or comperssion type Collett bolt on set up and just get rid of this rubber band stuff? Props are cheap.
We tend to fly these planes, up close, and personal. I catch mine, and If you hit your hand, your going to want that O-ring to pop off!
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:35 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronZav View Post
Ok this is my first post, I have been reading this whole thing and now have a question that has not been answered definitively I guess. So got the Yak a couple of weeks ago. Awesome service as expected, great plane as expected, a blast to fly, more than expected. Got a couple 3 cells 8x4.3 and a couple 2cells with 9x4.3 . The topic of the props not staying on the saver is killing me, more so with the 3 cell but also with the 2 cells. Any move with high power and a turn, my props go off center of the saver and I have to land, depending on orientation, sometimes not so smoothly. I emailed Brad and of course he responded right away and assured I had the new milled saver on my motor (fyi picture on the site is not the new one, Brad said he is gonna change it). Brad then called me imediately after the email to explain (this guy kicks butt) . He said he is aware that the 9x props have a looser fit and is not sure why, thats just the way they are. So I have been flying a lot, but Im getting frustrated by not being able to fly a whole pack without landing and straightening things out unless I fly at harrier speed and dont do any sharp moves with throttle on. Seems like the saver is a bit to shallow, I know the point is to save the prop, but its gonna kill my motor or plane because of the vibration or the immediate need to land to fix the problem. I know some others are having the same problem and I am wondering if anyone has found a solution. I know somebody is using welders on the prop, but having to do that every 10 flights is crazy. The saver is eating the heck out of the props due to this mess. Any help would be much appreciated, this thread is awesome thanks for all the info put up, made for an informed buy. Like I said, I have been super happy with everything, but this is driving me nuts. Tonight was the last straw when I had to climb 20 feet into a tree to get it after a slipped prop! lol, not a prettty sight. Didnt want my first post to be so long and whiney, but hey, want to enjoy this sweet plane. I even went to the local hardware store this weekend brainstorming in the nuts and bolts section trying to think of a solution. Seems like it shouldnt be necessary though, I wonder why they were milled so shallow?
Hello Aaron, and welcome to the forum. I have had this issue as well. My friend sent me some thicker o-rings and it stopped. I have also had issue with the prop hub wearing out, and I fixed this with a little epoxy.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:42 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2006
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Nice thanks but your buddy code just sends you to the HK home page.
You're right. Idon't know why. This is the actual URL of the page with the discounted price. Try this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...1-0540C920AB99
asad is offline Find More Posts by asad
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:36 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2006
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronZav View Post
Ok this is my first post, I have been reading this whole thing and now have a question that has not been answered definitively I guess. So got the Yak a couple of weeks ago. Awesome service as expected, great plane as expected, a blast to fly, more than expected. Got a couple 3 cells 8x4.3 and a couple 2cells with 9x4.3 . The topic of the props not staying on the saver is killing me, more so with the 3 cell but also with the 2 cells. Any move with high power and a turn, my props go off center of the saver and I have to land, depending on orientation, sometimes not so smoothly. I emailed Brad and of course he responded right away and assured I had the new milled saver on my motor (fyi picture on the site is not the new one, Brad said he is gonna change it). Brad then called me imediately after the email to explain (this guy kicks butt) . He said he is aware that the 9x props have a looser fit and is not sure why, thats just the way they are. So I have been flying a lot, but Im getting frustrated by not being able to fly a whole pack without landing and straightening things out unless I fly at harrier speed and dont do any sharp moves with throttle on. Seems like the saver is a bit to shallow, I know the point is to save the prop, but its gonna kill my motor or plane because of the vibration or the immediate need to land to fix the problem. I know some others are having the same problem and I am wondering if anyone has found a solution. I know somebody is using welders on the prop, but having to do that every 10 flights is crazy. The saver is eating the heck out of the props due to this mess. Any help would be much appreciated, this thread is awesome thanks for all the info put up, made for an informed buy. Like I said, I have been super happy with everything, but this is driving me nuts. Tonight was the last straw when I had to climb 20 feet into a tree to get it after a slipped prop! lol, not a prettty sight. Didnt want my first post to be so long and whiney, but hey, want to enjoy this sweet plane. I even went to the local hardware store this weekend brainstorming in the nuts and bolts section trying to think of a solution. Seems like it shouldnt be necessary though, I wonder why they were milled so shallow?
Until a permanent, and better fix is available, suggest you try using small lock straps as shown in the attached pic. Have used for several months now and no balance problems. Yes, it does defeat the purpose of the prop saver, however, the prop is absolutely guaranteed to stay on.......
Nimbus Dave is offline Find More Posts by Nimbus Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:41 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
Thanks for the answers guys. Good to see what everyone else is trying and to know Im not the only one having the issue. Really wish there was a more permanent fix, but guess I will have to just wing it. I have heavy o rings and they are a pain just to get them to fit over the screw cant imagine getting something heavier/thicker over them. Ok Im off to go eat up some more props, will probably run out today and have to wait on my HK order which was my first and after ordered saw the fine print (may take up to 45 days for your order! Awesome)
AaronZav is offline Find More Posts by AaronZav
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:43 AM
Team Twisted!
hone1er's Avatar
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Don't worry it usually doesn't take that long. It does take like 2 or 3 weeks though. I can never wait that long so i usually order from twisted hobbys and get my props in 2 days
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
Registered User
Portugal(Lisbon)
Joined Aug 2010
28 Posts
Hi guys

Its ok this motor to use in the crack??

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9070

thanks
carlospt is offline Find More Posts by carlospt
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:54 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2006
32 Posts
After much searching on the Hobbyking site, I found this one to be the most appropriate. I've ordered it but it would be a couple of months before i get an opportunity to use it.
P.S: There are other suitable motors at Himodel.com, some of them being offered by Twisted Hobbys also for their various foamies.
asad is offline Find More Posts by asad
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:16 PM
Slopeaholic
jimbo320's Avatar
Joined May 2011
3,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus Dave View Post
Until a permanent, and better fix is available, suggest you try using small lock straps as shown in the attached pic. Have used for several months now and no balance problems. Yes, it does defeat the purpose of the prop saver, however, the prop is absolutely guaranteed to stay on.......
Neat idea, i might try that, after a few flight my prop saver is usual sloppy and giving me judder anyway, so would be good to get rid.
Is that just three small tie wraps? I guess lock strap is the US equivalent to the tie wrap?

Thx.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:19 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
We call them zip ties usually
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:38 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,182 Posts
Flew three packs in the Great Hall (banquet hall) after work. Those paper balls are hard-to-avoid obstacles!

Video here. Embed not working. Taken with phone's camera so excuse the poor quality. I thought of it last minute and just tucked it in my transmitter's strap.

I THINK wifey is getting me a Go Pro for my birthday next week

http://entertainment.webshots.com/vi...64685427OkNIBS

Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Last edited by Sixinarow; Sep 01, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:20 PM
Registered User
Aviefly's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Plenty of obstacles in there, nice flying, not bad footage for a phone cam wedged in your transmitter strap. Strange how the embed code doesn't work! I had a go for you too.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2006
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
Neat idea, i might try that, after a few flight my prop saver is usual sloppy and giving me judder anyway, so would be good to get rid.
Is that just three small tie wraps? I guess lock strap is the US equivalent to the tie wrap?

Thx.
Yes on the three small tie wraps. They work extremely well. Absolutely no reason to continue to eat up prop hubs etc. Simple, light weight and cheap fix......
Nimbus Dave is offline Find More Posts by Nimbus Dave
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Twisted Hobbys - Telink 3D Buster EPP Bipe Build Thread, Flight Video just posted!!!! aerofundan 3D Foamies 573 Sep 24, 2014 09:32 AM
Discussion Twisted Hobbys - RC Factory USA YAK-55 39" Build Thread/Videos & Flight Video!!!!! cbriggs11 3D Foamies 78 May 28, 2014 06:40 PM
Build Log Twisted Hobbys - Telink 43" Yak 55 - Build, Fly, Vid hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 1006 Feb 22, 2014 04:52 PM
Discussion Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak! hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 181 Sep 13, 2013 04:54 AM
Discussion RC Factory USA - Twisted Hobbys - 1.2m SU 29 Build Thread. hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 97 Oct 19, 2011 07:34 AM