HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:38 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,554 Posts
As we saw...
Well thats good you got your electronics.
Nice flying dan!
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:17 AM
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
Is my motor getting too HOT.

Eflite 300, eflite 10-amp esc and a sky lipo 500mah 3cell 20c and 9X4.7
i caant even hold the motor for long, it smells after maby 1.5- 2 min of flight is it just the prop or the 3 cell or both thank for any and all help
idkstall is offline Find More Posts by idkstall
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:23 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,187 Posts
If this is your motor http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1150

Then you should prop down. It says 8x3.8 is the biggest you should go on 3s you can use the 9'' prop on 2s only
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:21 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idkstall View Post
Is my motor getting too HOT.

Eflite 300, eflite 10-amp esc and a sky lipo 500mah 3cell 20c and 9X4.7
i caant even hold the motor for long, it smells after maby 1.5- 2 min of flight is it just the prop or the 3 cell or both thank for any and all help
On that motor, use a 8x4.3 with 3 cell, or a 9x4.7 on 2 cell. You are pushing it a bit too hard.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:00 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Trim Change??

I've notice on the 1st couple of flights, after taking the plane from a cool basement and car to outside that my trim needs a lot of adjustment.
Usually the rudder needs significant amount and some elevator. Aile not much, if any, trim needed.
When I look at the rudder, I can see that it is offset some and follows the trim input I made.
After a few flights, I find myself slowly removing the trim I put in and elevator, rudder are back to neutral.

Feels like something to do with temp change. The other morning when I flew, trim didn't change at all, but in the evening when temperature differential is 30 degrees from home to field I see this happen. One thought was the servos centering, but I don't think that's it, since the trim moves the rudder from neutral to fly straight.
Does EPP change shape a little from cool to hot environments? In storage, I hang the CY by the prop so it should be straight.
I'm going to experiment by leaving the plane in a warmer area next time to see if I have to trim on the first flights. I recall someone else talking about this, but can't find the post. Curious as to what his resolution was, if any.

Any thoughts on this?

By the way, this plane is great! My first 3D foamy and a ton of fun!
Woody_99 is online now Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:14 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
You came to the right conclusion it is tempreture change that causes it. There has been a lot of talk about it on the various threads.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:17 AM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
I've notice on the 1st couple of flights, after taking the plane from a cool basement and car to outside that my trim needs a lot of adjustment.
Usually the rudder needs significant amount and some elevator. Aile not much, if any, trim needed.
When I look at the rudder, I can see that it is offset some and follows the trim input I made.
After a few flights, I find myself slowly removing the trim I put in and elevator, rudder are back to neutral.

Feels like something to do with temp change. The other morning when I flew, trim didn't change at all, but in the evening when temperature differential is 30 degrees from home to field I see this happen. One thought was the servos centering, but I don't think that's it, since the trim moves the rudder from neutral to fly straight.
Does EPP change shape a little from cool to hot environments? In storage, I hang the CY by the prop so it should be straight.
I'm going to experiment by leaving the plane in a warmer area next time to see if I have to trim on the first flights. I recall someone else talking about this, but can't find the post. Curious as to what his resolution was, if any.

Any thoughts on this?

Mine does that, also. I have a habit of NOT hanging it vertically when not flying, so the surfaces droop a bit. Try hanging by the tail or motor (not the prop, as the prop saver band will stretch and fail).

I just flew mine 10 min ago in the loading dock before heading in to work.
Sixinarow is online now Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:17 AM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post

Any thoughts on this?

Yep, the temperature change causes the foam to expand and contract (but the pushrods do not). This is what causes your trim changes. It's all part of the game with EPP foamies. Just-re-trim and fly!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:31 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
WOW, thanks for the quick feedback!
Good to hear that it's inherent to EPP and not something else wrong. I can deal with that. Probably easiest to hang it in the garage while charging batteries to let it equilibrate.

Thanks again!
Woody_99 is online now Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:09 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
So should we keep our planes in the heat for a little before flying and then trim?
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:33 AM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
So should we keep our planes in the heat for a little before flying and then trim?
There's nothing you can do really...just fly it when you want it and trim it.

Hanging the plane by the prop is a good idea because it puts no stresses on the airplane that can twisted or warp it over time, but it's not an absolute necessity.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:54 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
There's nothing you can do really...just fly it when you want it and trim it.

Hanging the plane by the prop is a good idea because it puts no stresses on the airplane that can twisted or warp it over time, but it's not an absolute necessity.
foamie storage coming soon to a Twisted Hobbys' website near you..
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/VFS-System-VFS.htm
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:56 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
cdee
NICE Cdee!!!
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:06 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
cdee
I saw that on the Twisted site a day or two ago - congrats!

May have to pick one up if Brad keeps feeding my addiction.

That will hold 32" and the larger 43" & 47" planes won't it?

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:13 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
I saw that on the Twisted site a day or two ago - congrats!

May have to pick one up if Brad keeps feeding my addiction.

That will hold 32" and the larger 43" & 47" planes won't it?

JC
Yes... I have everything from a UMX Beast to a PA Addiction hanging from my VFS System...
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee