HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
I've been working on this one lately. I'm with Jimbo, I can't seem to wrap my head around the belly in hover. The low wing always gets the rudder but it's opposite of top in. Top in wing on your right gets right rudder, bottom in, wing on your right gets left rudder. My brain understands this but can't seem to translate it to my hand. I don't have a problem with inverted flight, but can't seem to grasp this one for some reason.

Azarr
When you say your ok with inverted flight do you use the rudder a lot on your turns or do you tend to go back to aileron elevator turns? This can be the key to get used to using the rudder in the reverse orientation, at least it was for me. I found doing inverted harriers starting away out and flying back towards myself easiest to start off with then when feeling more confident set it into a circuit and try and keep it going all the way round. The next move is once its come round the circuit in one direction try to switch to a circuit in the opposite direction so you end up doing a figure of eight. I found doing this it got me used to using the rudder inverted in all orientations.

The other way is as has been said is the sim but consider using the hover training mode if it has one. You should be able to select to control rudder only or maybe just throttle and rudder and set the orientation to belly in.

This is what makes the hobby so great, always something new to learn.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:42 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
When you say your ok with inverted flight do you use the rudder a lot on your turns or do you tend to go back to aileron elevator turns? This can be the key to get used to using the rudder in the reverse orientation, at least it was for me.
No, I have no trouble flying inverted harriers, inverted figure eights in both directions using the rudder (my CY needs opposite aileron to stay flat inverted)
Which is why the belly in hover is frustrating, for some reason muscle memory just takes over as if I'm hovering top in. I know I'll eventually get it but it's taking longer than I expected (wanted )

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,653 Posts
Funny I can do inverted circuits with the rudder, but can't get the belly prop hang, or four point rolls apart from left roll towards you.
What sim has a hover training mode?
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I've RealFlight 6 and downloaded the crack yak from KnifeEdge swap page. The real Crack is pretty close to the sim Crack. Coming from fly heli, I don't have problem with flying the Crack straight at me and at the last possible second pull back on the elev and pump the throttle to get the plane into a belly in hover.

Heli and plane both have the same right stick movement (mode 2 here in the US). Pulling the elev (right stick) down, pulls the nose of the plane towards the canopy and pushing the elev forward pushes the nose towards the landing gear.
As for the rudder, when belly in hover, move the rudder in the same direction as the dropping wing and it will straight out the plane.

There is one last common thing when flying 3d, both heli and plane, you must quick move the stick to get the plane to react and then neutralize the stick unless the particular 3d move required holding the stick in a particular position for extended period, of course with minute adjustments.

If you can, purchase The Pilot's Guide to Mastering Radio Controlled Flight by Scott Stoops ... an invaluable book for RC planes, whether just flying circuit, IMAC or 3D.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
I've RealFlight 6 and downloaded the crack yak from KnifeEdge swap page. The real Crack is pretty close to the sim Crack. Coming from fly heli, I don't have problem with flying the Crack straight at me and at the last possible second pull back on the elev and pump the throttle to get the plane into a belly in hover.
I'm glad to hear you think the sim Crack Yak is pretty close.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2000
7,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post

As for the rudder, when belly in hover, move the rudder in the same direction as the dropping wing and it will straight out the plane.
Yes,comma,but,however, the stick movement is opposite that of canopy in hover. Top in, right wing drops to pilot's right right rudder brings it back, but belly in the wing (left) dropping to the pilot's right requires left rudder. After years of hovering canopy in, my left stick seems to have a mind of its own

Azarr
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Just ordered mine today

I fly outside, any power combo's and lipo's recommendations?

Thanks !
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:08 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
Just ordered mine today

I fly outside, any power combo's and lipo's recommendations?

Thanks !
Stock setup with 3s 450 packs from hobbypartz
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Finally hovered decently

This is why I bought this plane. I had tried hovering previously and always mangled it. I have only had 3 sessions on this plane and was always coping with a lot of wind. Last night for the first time I managed some decent looking hovers. I managed to work my way down a little instead of always working upward slowly. I came home from the local field and the wind had died completely. I did some practice in my smallish front yard and had no trouble at all. Anyway, just wanted to tell someone. I need to work on belly-in now.
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:41 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Congratulations
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
Build - Fly - Crash - Repeat
United States, NY, New Hyde Park
Joined Feb 2008
24 Posts
Twisted Hobbys Coupon

Anyone know if TH has any coupon codes? Daddy needs a new Crack Yak!
vincentvega is offline Find More Posts by vincentvega
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
USA, NY, Brookhaven
Joined Mar 2003
1,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Yes,comma,but,however, the stick movement is opposite that of canopy in hover. Top in, right wing drops to pilot's right right rudder brings it back, but belly in the wing (left) dropping to the pilot's right requires left rudder. After years of hovering canopy in, my left stick seems to have a mind of its own

Azarr
It just take time to get passed your instinct to react and retrain your left thumb. But then you woun't be able to hover canopy facing you anymore!
Rickc
RickC2009 is online now Find More Posts by RickC2009
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:53 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC2009 View Post
It just take time to get passed your instinct to react and retrain your left thumb. But then you woun't be able to hover canopy facing you anymore!
Rickc
haha so true.. Same thing when you start doing rolling circles in the opposite direction of what you learned. You forget how to do it the original direction.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by livinma1; Jun 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Jan 2000
7,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC2009 View Post
Rickc
So true

Azarr
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
Ok, so everyone egrees stock set up on 3S? I been waiting to order my power combo
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver