Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:58 PM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Jul 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
You are absolutely correct! I forgot that the plane was upside down. But the servos are put in before the bottom fuse is put on. If the bottom fuse has not been glued on, the servos are easy to put in as shown in the picture I put in post 1744.
Again, not really. The rudder servo placement is different. If you build this yak yourself, you will find out that it is best to put in the rudder servo in before top fuse.

Anyway, maiden was a hoot. It was a bit windy so couldn't do CoG trial and finalize the battery location. On the last of 6 fun packs I missed catching it by hand...the prop hit the ground and prop-saver snapped.

Closed Friday, so it will next Thursday before I have some from TH. Any good alternatives? Off to HomeDepot I guess.
asasan is offline Find More Posts by asasan
Last edited by asasan; Apr 19, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:18 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
Cool. Just waiting for it to dry compleatly. On the glue subject I bought some from rcfoam called Ultimate RC foam glue. Kinda pricey. $7.95 for a 2 ounce bottle. Thats alot of glue. On the plus side it works on fan fold, EPP, and the dollar tree foam. I used it on the wikistang and so far so good.

Tom
Yea I mostly only use that and uhu for hinges these days. The foam-Tec is great because it doesn't expand and is actually a bit flexible (not brittle and snap like other types). For the uhu just lay it on one side of hinge and rub it with the other side. Then let sit for 5 min and connect like video below. You really only need a thin film to join them otherwise the hinge can be glued hard and tough to move. Both those glues are the best I have come across so far though.

Glue
http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...8fd09decb63c0c

Uhu for hinges
http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...8fd09decb63c0c

Uhu hinge demo vid
Uhu-Por scharnier (1 min 12 sec)

"scharnier" is the german word for "hinge"

the phrase "ca. 5 minuten antrocknen lassen" means let the glue set for about 5 minutes
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:20 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asasan View Post
Again, not really. The rudder servo placement is different. If you build this yak yourself, you will find out that it is best to put in the rudder servo in before top fuse.

Anyway, maiden was a hoot. It was a bit windy so couldn't do CoG trial and finalize the battery location. On the last of 6 fun packs I missed catching it by hand...the prop hit the ground and prop-saver snapped.

Closed Friday, so it will next Thursday before I have some from TH. Any good alternatives? Off to HomeDepot I guess.
I got some HD prop savers if we meet up tomorrow or this weekend i'll bring you a few.
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:34 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,408 Posts
That is cool. I need to get some of that stuff. I didn't know you could make hinges like that. So thats the stuff on the rcfoam site? Yep, gotta git some.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:55 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
That is cool. I need to get some of that stuff. I didn't know you could make hinges like that. So thats the stuff on the rcfoam site? Yep, gotta git some.

Tom
Yea people say making hinges with the uhu is better than factory hinges.
That foam-Tec glue is awesome too. Unless I have a huge gap for gap filling CA I only use the foam-Tec. Shipping can be a little high from them depending on where you live so while 1 tube of uhu will last forever; for the foam-Tec you may want to grab 2. Foam-Tec takes a little while to set though. There is no accelerator for it. Probably a couple min for initial take, 20 for a good initial set, and 24 hours for final cure. Kind of rubber cementish but once fully dried much stronger IMO.
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:44 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,611 Posts
Finally finished the yak. Here she is.
Where should I put the CG, bearing in mind I'm a novice and just want to prolly fly some circuits today and perhaps a loop and a roll.
What about starter settings for flaps/rudder/vator in mm?
Do these things fly with the tail level? Most of the vids I've watched seem to look like the wing is perm stalled, but perhaps that is just flying 3d.
I'll go for a straight hand chuck, the get some height first.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:24 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
Finally finished the yak. Here she is.
Where should I put the CG, bearing in mind I'm a novice and just want to prolly fly some circuits today and perhaps a loop and a roll.
What about starter settings for flaps/rudder/vator in mm?
Do these things fly with the tail level? Most of the vids I've watched seem to look like the wing is perm stalled, but perhaps that is just flying 3d.
I'll go for a straight hand chuck, the get some height first.
Get your CG neutral (flies hands-off level upright and inverted at about 50%-60% throttle). That's actually where I have mine and all I do is 3D flying.

Yes - it will fly with the tail level. Most people just harrier it around while not rolling or hovering but it will do an absolute beautiful job of flying very in a scale manner as well.

Good luck with the maiden!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:26 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,611 Posts
How many mm back should I set it for the first flight?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:32 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Neutral CG for this plane is about 3.25" or 82.55mm (both from Chris on the first page of this thread) from the leading edge of the wing where it meets the fuse.

What I did (others probably have better techniques) is to simply lay the battery flat on the fuse (just pick a side) and then use my fingers to balance the plane. Once I foudn a good neutral spot I cut out the fuse and put the battery in there.

Save that cut-out in case you need to replace and shift it though. Once you're satisfied then put a light bead of welders around the cut-out area so that the foam won't get so worn down from installing and removing the battery.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:08 AM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asasan View Post
Again, not really. The rudder servo placement is different. If you build this yak yourself, you will find out that it is best to put in the rudder servo in before top fuse
Wow! What ever technology you are using to determine who has built one of these Yaks on this thread is not working. All I know is that when I built my Crack Yak, I used the pictures from page one and had no problems. Subject closed.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Dec 2009
70 Posts
Here is a duh moment!!!

I was too excited when I first received my Yak and actually glued both the top and bottom fuse on before installing my servos

I looked back at my table and all 3 servos just sitting there...doh!

Servos are in...just a little tug here and there on the foam.
CY is perfect with no issues cutting the foam or anything to get the servos in...

Gotta love the quality and strength of this EPP
savagedub78 is offline Find More Posts by savagedub78
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Jimbo what Turnerm said is ideal for the cog, Chris hit it spot on with the Crack Yak. Even though your just starting out I would recommend balancing at this, if you start with it nose heavy it could just teach you bad habits and make it harder for you to adjust when eventually you move the cog back to where it should be. All I would do is set up some different rates, if your transmitter can do it have high rates as all you can get, middle rates at around 80% and low at around 60%. Set expo to 50% on high rates, 40% on mid rates and 30% on low rates, these are just a starting figure and when you get used to it you will find what you like for yourself, everyone is different. I bet you won't be on rates for long but it's nice to have them when your starting out. The only other thing you mention is getting some height, you might need a little bit to make sure it's trimmed out but then get it down and dirty, I can understand your trepidation but honestly these things are hard as nails and that's what they are meant to do

Hope you got out to fly it and looking forward to hearing what you think of it.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,611 Posts
Ok i flew it in the park today. It was probably too windy, but it flew.
I think im going to have to learn to fly again. It was difficult, since im not used to controlling the speed of the aeroplane with the throttle(coming from gliders, i fly mode 1).
But the main thing is it had about 4-5 flights, a few circuits and only one bad landing, a bit of foam came off the nose, and the spar moved away from the wing slighty, i forgot to turn the motor off dohh i think thats what did the nose. Just uploading a few clips of the flight.
It was fun though! Im pleased its in one piece.
I dont think id want to hit the ground too hard, the nose appears pretty weak. A little intro to power flying.
Last edited by jimbo320; Apr 20, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:00 PM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Just ordered landing gear. I will get started on the plane next week. Just need servos... Can I build the entire plane before I add the servos? It looks like they're installed pretty early on during the building process in the pics.
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:10 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,724 Posts
Quote:
Ok i forgot to turn the motor off dohh i think thats what did the nose.
Shutting down the throttle immediately is extremely important and not doing so can cause a lot of damage to your equipment. With the prop stopped and the throttle not off, the motor will continue to draw more and more current until something eventually burns out.

Congrats on you first powered flights.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr