Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:03 PM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
HS-65HB for ailerons and 2 HS-45HB's for the elevator and rudder.
Cool, I'm just going to go that route. Thanks.
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Feb 2012
245 Posts
If my Plane is to tail heavy, will it slow roll rate or affect anything else.
Zbak is offline Find More Posts by Zbak
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbak View Post
If my Plane is to tail heavy, will it slow roll rate or affect anything else.
Depending on how tail heavy, it can make the plane completely uncontrollable. In addition, if it is tail heavy, it will affect knife edge flight (whether the plane tracks straight or not). It will also affect the tendency of the plane to maintain neutral flight (no tendency to climb or descend) in upright and inverted flight.

There are lots of threads on telling how to adjust it, but the basic idea is that you first set it by getting the plane to balance the right distance from the leading edge of the wing. Then you fine tune it by looking at what happens when you try to fly inverted after trimming for neutral flight when upright. You want the plane to neither climb or descend when inverted at the same throttle level that you trimmed the plane to fly neutral when upright.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:47 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Speaking of CG stuff, I ran several packs thru the CY yesterday, after almost a month off. Talk about rusty. Anyway, I spent two sessions trying to get it trimmed well enough (being the rookie I am) to check the CG. Low and behold, it's a bit nose heavy. Didn't have anything with me to adjust the CG, so next weekend maybe. Looking forward to getting it dialed in.

The CY really is a joy to fly. I had way too much fun yesterday! Shhhhhh, Obama will have it declared illegal if they hear too much of that.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:05 AM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Jul 2011
120 Posts
Do a lot of you have the CF landing gear that is almost 25% of the cost of the plane itself?

Is there a wire alternative?
asasan is offline Find More Posts by asasan
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:15 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,214 Posts
Some customers do not like to run them, fortunately the LG is not needed to enjoy the model to its fullest flight potential. Personally I fly without the LG do to my flying loaction (backyard over grass).

If you are looking for a great alternative here is Get Real LG mod post. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=288
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:02 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,395 Posts
Just went to the Twisted Hobby web site. Very nice. The prices are a little high on some things but thats ok cause they have the stuff I need. Dont have to look at a dozen sites to get it. Thanks to who ever posted it.
Tom
carr52 is online now Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asasan View Post
Do a lot of you have the CF landing gear that is almost 25% of the cost of the plane itself?

Is there a wire alternative?
I have Twisted Hobby planes with and without the landing gear. My Crack Yak has the LG. Personally, I like it, and I think it actually helps the plane be even more rugged. This despite the fact I fly in my back yard, and landing with it is mostly pointless. I do enjoy taking off from the deck with it.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Sep 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Full aileron and high rates (as high as they'll go - I think I even have my end point adjustment at 150). It's definitely fast but the more rudder and elevator you use the more it will slow things down. I can't view my video from work but if I recall correctly, there are times through the video that the roll rate slows down... that's when I'm giving more rudder and elevator to turn sharper.

It's all timing. Usually if I get the first rudder input in there quick enough the rest just kinda flows. I pick out a spot on the plane to look for as a key to make sure my fingers are in the right spot. That way if I get behind (or ahead even) I can adjust and keep the rollers going.

However... when I first started learning rollers I did use dual rates to help slow things down for me. I can't say whether that actually helped or hurt me to be honest. All I know is that my rollers started looking a LOT better once I went back to full rates.
do you have Real Flight Simulator? If so I'd LOVE to see a video of you executing rolling circles (with the remote window on screen so I can see stick movements).

I'm trying to nail this in Real Flight first and I've only been able to sustain rolling circles (1 out of 10 tries) using Ail and Elev (no rudder at all). I use the elevator to keep the alpha and to turn the plane. Although i dont exactly have full control over how tight my circles are...I can kind of adjust it but for 50% of it, i'm just along for the ride and every once in awhile I'll slam the elevator in or out to bring the plane back into the circle....
Natemare13 is offline Find More Posts by Natemare13
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:46 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natemare13 View Post
do you have Real Flight Simulator? If so I'd LOVE to see a video of you executing rolling circles (with the remote window on screen so I can see stick movements).

I'm trying to nail this in Real Flight first and I've only been able to sustain rolling circles (1 out of 10 tries) using Ail and Elev (no rudder at all). I use the elevator to keep the alpha and to turn the plane. Although i dont exactly have full control over how tight my circles are...I can kind of adjust it but for 50% of it, i'm just along for the ride and every once in awhile I'll slam the elevator in or out to bring the plane back into the circle....
I'm using Phoenix, not RF. Sorry man...

If you learn to use both rudder and elevator I think you'll find that you have more control. This maneuever took me the longest to learn by FAR so don't get frustrated if it takes some time to figure out. Some people seem to pick up on it quickly though.

If you want to keep a high alpha rolling harrier then you're most likely going to have to pulse your throttle a little bit.

If you use rudder and elevator then they will both help you keep the plane in the air but then just think about the timing on your elevator for controlling how tight your circle is. If you hit elevator earlier (when the plane is close to KE position) then it will turn faster but you'll have to rely more on rudder for keeping the plane up. If you hit elevator later (coming out of KE position but still at a slight angle) then your turn will be slow BUT you'll also have the advantage of being able to use elevator to also keep the plane up.

I time my elevator based on the position of the canopy. If I want to roll straight then I try to have full elevator when the canopy is either straight up or straight down. If I want to turn then I hit my elevator a little before the canopy is straight up or straight down. My brain has just sort-of memorized what my left hand needs to be doing all time - it's just a cadence sort of thing mostly but the more I practice the more I'm able to adjust if necessary too.

So that's how I think about it but honestly - it just comes down to practice, practice, practice. The things I'm telling you were probably also told to me a billion and one times but they didn't really make much sense to me until I sort of just figured things out. It's just one of those things - once you know how to do it, it seems easy to talk someone through it but it doesn't make much sense to the person you're trying to help.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Dec 2009
70 Posts
Hey guys,
I am having a little hard time centering my ail extension arm on the servo
I need about 12 clicks of trim to get it close to center and I know not to do that.

Are you guys using subtrim or lots of it to center the Aileron servo extension?

thanks
savagedub78 is offline Find More Posts by savagedub78
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:52 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagedub78 View Post
Hey guys,
I am having a little hard time centering my ail extension arm on the servo
I need about 12 clicks of trim to get it close to center and I know not to do that.

Are you guys using subtrim or lots of it to center the Aileron servo extension?

thanks
I spend a bit of time switching servo arms about and turning them around to find the ones that fit on at 90 with no subtrim before I fit the extension. You'd have thought all the arms would come out of the mold the same but they don't seem to. If I can't get them bang on I'll use a little subtrim but only if I have to.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:11 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
I had to use a fair amount of sub-trim to get the rud and ele centered. Re-binding after setting things up resolved a flakey rudder sub-trim issue with the OrangeRX.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Feb 2012
245 Posts
My plane goes up invertide and upright straight?

What should I do?
Zbak is offline Find More Posts by Zbak
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:27 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,626 Posts
It's tailheavy. Move stuff forward.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik