SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:29 PM
Registered User
Mrj3cub's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
Build Log
My first KIT! It"s the SIG 1/4 scale cub!

So, here we go!
My first ever balsa KIT.

Have been looking at buildthreads and dowloading lots of pics latley, and I am feeling quite ready now.
Starting with the fuse formers as the plans say, and epoxied it together with lots of weight on it. Good tight fit! Man It is so much fun to cut and shape these balsa sticks!
More to come later!
Mrj3cub is offline Find More Posts by Mrj3cub
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:04 PM
AMA 910957
EJWash1's Avatar
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj3cub View Post
Man It is so much fun to cut and shape these balsa sticks!
To me the essence of the hobby. Ever so decompressing!

All the luck with your build. Lots of help if you need it.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:26 AM
Registered User
Mrj3cub's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
I really wanted the PA 18 supercub cowl and conversion, but because its my first build, I will stick to the plans from SIG and make it as simple it can be for me.
I will tough modify the door form Cubmans site.
I think the NE-1 scheme is cool and maybe this will be it.
It will be covered in Solartex. I have not decided what engine I will put in it, but the asp 160 twin is tempting because of the sound and scale look.
The Robart 1/4 scale cub gear is ordered.

I probably will be asking a lot of questions, but and hope a few will follow my build

Later!

Howard
Mrj3cub is offline Find More Posts by Mrj3cub
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:46 AM
Balsa breaks better
Thermaler's Avatar
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,201 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of balsa dust. You will knick you fingers with knifes and pins, you will scratch your head and wonder why they did it that way. You will try something different and curse, you will also say hey that's neat ( share those with us).
When it is all done and over you will admire your work, think of things you will do better on the next one.
Then comes the inevitable, you will break it. Rest easy, you put it together the first time, you can do it again.

Enjoy the relaxation, ignore the fustration and don't glue you fingers together! ;<)

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:04 AM
It must have a machinegun
Scaledown's Avatar
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,278 Posts
Good on you for taking the plunge with kit building.
I would avoid using epoxy unless the instructions say so. Its the heaviest type of glue there is. Yellow carpenters wood glue (aliphatic resin) is a popular balsa glue.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:17 AM
Registered User
Mrj3cub's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaledown View Post
Good on you for taking the plunge with kit building.
I would avoid using epoxy unless the instructions say so. Its the heaviest type of glue there is. Yellow carpenters wood glue (aliphatic resin) is a popular balsa glue.
Yes! The inatructions say to epoxy the formers. For the other gluing i will be using Titebond orginal woodglue. Seems quite popular for building than the CA and all the health issues with that... Also then , have some good time to get the jointalignment perfect with Wood glue! My english is way out of line! Not my mothertounge
Mrj3cub is offline Find More Posts by Mrj3cub
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:25 AM
Registered User
Mrj3cub's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of balsa dust. You will knick you fingers with knifes and pins, you will scratch your head and wonder why they did it that way. You will try something different and curse, you will also say hey that's neat ( share those with us).
When it is all done and over you will admire your work, think of things you will do better on the next one.
Then comes the inevitable, you will break it. Rest easy, you put it together the first time, you can do it again.

Enjoy the relaxation, ignore the fustration and don't glue you fingers together! ;<)

Joe
Thanks Joe! Dont say I will break it
I wont! Or?
Mrj3cub is offline Find More Posts by Mrj3cub
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:51 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Howard
Welcome to the Builders' CLub, and good luck with your project. I've built several Sig kits, including their 1/5th and 1/6th scale Cubs, and they all flew very well - so should your big Cub.

Take it slow and easy building your kit - think through things before gluing! Make sure your choice of engine, radio and that sprung undercarriage are all sorted out with regards to fitting into the model before you get too far along.

Sitting looking at a nearly finished and covered model wondering how you are going to fit rudder and elevator pushrods into the fuselage is not good, for one example that I have heard of before.

If you want to finish your model in a colour scheme other than 'Cub Yellow', Bob Banka has a very large range of alternates available from: http://bobsairdoc.com/ I've bought documentation packs from him before and had good service.

Good luck!

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:59 PM
Registered User
Mrj3cub's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Hi Howard
Welcome to the Builders' CLub, and good luck with your project. I've built several Sig kits, including their 1/5th and 1/6th scale Cubs, and they all flew very well - so should your big Cub.

Take it slow and easy building your kit - think through things before gluing! Make sure your choice of engine, radio and that sprung undercarriage are all sorted out with regards to fitting into the model before you get too far along.

Sitting looking at a nearly finished and covered model wondering how you are going to fit rudder and elevator pushrods into the fuselage is not good, for one example that I have heard of before.

If you want to finish your model in a colour scheme other than 'Cub Yellow', Bob Banka has a very large range of alternates available from: http://bobsairdoc.com/ I've bought documentation packs from him before and had good service.

Good luck!

Dereck

Thanks Dereck! Many good advices!

Tonight I have finished the front and rear fuselage formers.
Have also used my new scroll saw to cut out the printed balsa sheets. Seems to do a decent job this saw.
This is awesome! Verry satisfying to se the bits come together.
Tomorrow i will start building the fuselage. If this is coming together as easy as the formers, it will be nice. NOT BAD for my first build i must say
I am very proud of myself
Mrj3cub is offline Find More Posts by Mrj3cub
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:30 PM
Registered User
SunDevilPilot's Avatar
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2008
852 Posts
Subscribed...

You have picked a great, but challenging kit. Take your time and you will end up with a great model. I am just about finished with mine. I just need to cover the fuselage and do the paint.

You look like you are off the a great start. I'm glad to see you enjoying the build process. There really is something about building that is addictive.

Here is my build thread, if you have not found it already.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8857500/tm.htm

SunDevilPilot
SunDevilPilot is offline Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:20 PM
Registered User
epoxyearl's Avatar
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,986 Posts
First build

Hi .welcome aboard.You speaking just fine!..you said 'build' and 'Cub' and that's all I needed to hear.
Enjoy the ride.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:55 AM
Registered User
Mrj3cub's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot View Post
Subscribed...

You have picked a great, but challenging kit. Take your time and you will end up with a great model. I am just about finished with mine. I just need to cover the fuselage and do the paint.

You look like you are off the a great start. I'm glad to see you enjoying the build process. There really is something about building that is addictive.

Here is my build thread, if you have not found it already.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8857500/tm.htm

SunDevilPilot
Hey SunDevil!
Ye, have been studying pictures in your thread sideways,up, and down. Lots of great info and "buildlearning"

Nice to have you along!
Mrj3cub is offline Find More Posts by Mrj3cub
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:03 AM
Registered User
Mrj3cub's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Hi .welcome aboard.You speaking just fine!..you said 'build' and 'Cub' and that's all I needed to hear.
Enjoy the ride.
Hey E.Earl!

Ye, there is something about these Cubs.. The way they fly.. its just so much fun to me! I started rc planes just six months ago. Have been building a few ARF`s these months. But there really is something about that what say " if you haven't build it yourself, its not really yours". I enjoy building maybe more than flying now.

Glad to have you in!
Mrj3cub is offline Find More Posts by Mrj3cub
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:32 PM
Registered User
kingconsulting's Avatar
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
842 Posts
Good luck! Look forward to watching.
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale New 46" SIG 1/4 SCALE CUB FLOAT KIT-STILL SEALED LCS Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Dec 18, 2011 02:05 PM
Sold SIG 1/4 scale J3 cub kit unbuilt Free Shipping lesgilmer Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Aug 18, 2011 01:44 AM
Sold Sig 1/4 Scale Clipped Wing Cub Kit, NIB - FREE Shipping! Johnny Angel Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jun 09, 2011 01:52 PM
Found Wanted Sig 1/4 scale J-3 Cub kit # RC48 Build2fly Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 May 20, 2011 05:35 AM
For Sale 1/4 Scale Piper Cub (Sig Kit) pcampjax Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Mar 07, 2011 02:55 PM