SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2003, 02:43 PM
almedan valley california
Joined Apr 2003
121 Posts
any advice on how to keep your esc reiceiver plug soldered up good to the p.c. board?

Hello pilots, i have had several e.s.c.'s have planes either go haywire or crash due to the soldered wires at the p.c.b. coming loose, or off during flight. This last time it was a 100 m.p.h. wedgi but thank god i was out and up as she spiraled in. I know its my fault by not checking it before each flight that time , but it seems the manufactures should pre-attach the wire to the p.c.b. or case, and then solder the ends to the p.c.b. thus releiving the tugging action on the solder joint. Thanks for any ideas, as its kind of tricky to fix, due to the small wires, is their such a thing as tapered wire? I realize the lead wire must be small to fit into the receiver slot but is their a better way? Thanks alot ................................pete lane.......airout
airborn express is offline Find More Posts by airborn express
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2003, 02:47 PM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
I've never had that happen. Why do you have "tugging" on the
ESC-Rx wires? Perhaps the tugging should be eliminated.

MX
MX is offline Find More Posts by MX
Old Oct 08, 2003, 02:49 PM
Joined Apr 2003
121 Posts
oops thats receiver, cant edit title, and the word any at the begining should be capitalized.......daaa.pete
Old Oct 08, 2003, 02:53 PM
Joined Apr 2003
121 Posts
mx, its when the e.s.c's are out in the open and the air is tugging on them , perhaps some velcro and some zip ties. I dont have this problem when the e.s.c.'s are enclosed in a fusalage plane. Thanks for taking an intrest.........pete
Old Oct 08, 2003, 04:14 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
gob 5 minute epoxy around the wires, and use a heat gun carefully to get it to flow around the wire base.

That acts as a pretty good strain releief.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 08, 2003, 04:59 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
It's only ever happened to me with one ESC, and that's because the model it was flown in (zagi) had a tendancy to eject motors and battery packs on hard imapacts.

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W