HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, OH, Barberton
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Discussion
Water cooling information needed

New to boats...got a question about water cooling. I bought a used brushless boat that has no motor water cooling. also the ESC has no cooling. I'm planning to do the coiled tubing around the motor. And put some coils on the ESC also. Now my questions....is it better to cool the motor first/ or the ESC...does it matter ?? . And how would you attach cooling tube to the ESC ? zip ties ??
rustytoolss is offline Find More Posts by rustytoolss
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:46 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,911 Posts
Hi RT,

Do you have some pictures of the items in question?

It may be very well possible, the components are selected to be able to work without watercooling...

If that is the case, adding watercooling is an extra, but also means extra weight, reducing speed and runtime.

If you do need to install watercooling, I'd use a home made (also commercially available) cooler like this for the ESC:

A coil around a brushless motor is generally speaking not very effective, unless it's wound tightly, pushed onto the can using heatconductive paste and secured in place with a piece of shrinkwrap, which also shields the paste, which is nasty stuff, specially on cloths and skin (don't ask...)

Much better is a cooling jacket, where the water runs directly on the motorcan like this:

With a single inlet, the water goes to the ESC first, than to the motor.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:04 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,020 Posts
Water Cooling

If the boat didn't have it from the factory, is there some reason you think it's needed now? These factory set-ups, are usually pretty well engineered. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:29 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,952 Posts
..and be very careful using a piece of metal tubing touching the tops of the mosfets. Doing that to some of the older esc's will fry the controller. And is the motor a brushless outrunner?
I second what CaptCB says. If it didn't have it before, why add it?

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:23 PM
United States, OH, Barberton
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave View Post
..and be very careful using a piece of metal tubing touching the tops of the mosfets. Doing that to some of the older esc's will fry the controller. And is the motor a brushless outrunner?
I second what CaptCB says. If it didn't have it before, why add it?

Dave
The boat is a Aquacraft Mini Thunder, that has been modified with a brushless 2435 4400Kv inrunner motor, ands the ESC ic a HobbyKing 50Amp. Because of the way the motor mounts (strap over the center) I don't think a water jacket will work. Also have not found any 24mm jackets. The orignial motor was a brushed 380.
rustytoolss is offline Find More Posts by rustytoolss
Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:36 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytoolss View Post
The boat is a Aquacraft Mini Thunder, that has been modified with a brushless 2435 4400Kv inrunner motor, ands the ESC is a HobbyKing 50Amp. Because of the way the motor mounts (strap over the center) I don't think a water jacket will work. Also have not found any 24mm jackets. The original motor was a brushed 380.
Hi RT,

The stock motor had a rudimetal watercooling bolted onto the front (see the picture on the Aquacraft site), I assume that wasn't used when the brushless motor was installed?

If so, does it cool enough (probably not...)?

Strapping a motor down in a fast electric that way should have been forbidden from day one, as it makes it harder to replace it with something that does need a functional cooling jacket.

If it were my boat, I'd remove the plastic parts forming the motormount, close the holes with ABS card so the tub is one piece again and use a proper motormount (angled aluminum) so you have room for a coil.

Make sure to use heatconductive past and cover the coil with heatshrink:

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Cooling water always goes to the ESC first and the motor second, I also second improving the motor mount and changing to a cooling jacket if you are able to.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal