HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 31

Glue some shaped foam, 1 inches wide, to the breast plate, as shown. This will keep the side edges from digging in to soft dirt on landings. Sand to the side contour and cover with Duct Tape in your favorite superhero color. I used clear packing tape to protect for the test flight because I haven’t decided what he is going to be yet. If damaged from landing on rough or hard surfaces, the duct tape is easily replaceable . Tape should also be applied to his thighs. Use a yard stick to determine location, laying it flush across the bottom.
Otto Dieffenbach is online now Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 21, 2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: correction
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 32

I use the small Dubro pinned hinges. I attach the hinges to the surface of the Depron sheet using Foam Safe CA, with accelerator. I first install one side of the hinge on the top of the elevons/feet. I put a small drop on the Depron, lay the hinge on the surface and then touch the hinge edge with the accelerator. After initial set, keep flexing the hinge to insure free movement. Now apply CA to the top of the hinge at the holes to really secure the hinge. CA doesn’t get to maximum strength for about an hour and this takes a few tries to master.

Tip: To apply the accelerator, unscrew the spray nozzle from the accelerator and use the tip of the draw hose like a brush. I made a wood base for my accelerator bottle because you will knock it over.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 33

Glue the hinges to the outer center body using CA with accelerator. Leave a inch gap between the side and the elevon. Trim the outer edge of the elevon to match the outer center body. As the glue sets, continue to flex the hinges.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: correction
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 34

Cut 2 plywood gussets for the motor lateral and neck T joint. Glue the top/arm plate and neck assembly to the body. Use Gorilla Glue to glue foam to foam and epoxy to glue wood to wood. Glue the gussets in place with epoxy and use T pins to hold top plate in position.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 21, 2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: correction
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 35

Glue top of head in place.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 36

Cut 2 upper shoulders from scrap. Glue inline with the sides on top of the top plate.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 37

Cut a 2 inch wide piece of Depron from scrap and cut to the width of the sides just under the top plate. Glue the doubler under the top plate and to the sides. Position it so that the end is located at the side/top plate intersection. This doubler will make handling Flyguy much easier.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: correction
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 38

Locate your receiver on the bottom side of the center body plate, in the center. This is a location of minimal wind blast. Attach the receiver to the Depron with double sided foam mounting tape. Plug in your servos and ESC. Check to make sure you plug the servos in the correct positions; check operation and direction of travel. Glue servo wires and extensions neatly to the Depron with CA or use good tape.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: correction
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 39

I like to be able to change motors/ESCs, so I have plugs and zip ties to aide in removal. Zip tie the ESC to the plywood neck T and attach the motor and ESC plugs. Check to make sure the prop camber is facing front and the prop is free to rotate. Power up and check motor rotation, if backwards swap two of the motor wires.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 40

T pin the feet in the flying position, level with the outer center body.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 41

Put a Z bend in one end of the 1mm music wire. Attach that end to the servo. Cut the Z bend off the clevis rod that came with the control surface horns and center the clevis on the threaded area. Attach the clevis to the horn and cut the 1mm wire so you have 7/8 inch overlap. Cut five 1 inch sections of plastic coffee stir straw. Slide these sections on the 1mm wire. Cut a 5/8 inch piece of 2-3mm heat shrink tubing and slide it on the 1mm wire and back over the clevis rod. Note the amount of wire that protrudes from each end of the heat shrink and detach the clevis. Move the clevis well away from the foam and shrink the heat shrink tubing with flame or heat gun. Reattach the clevis. Apply thin regular CA to each end of the heat shrink and hit with accelerator. Evenly space the coffee stirrer sections along the 1mm wire and tack to the side with Foam Safe CA glue. Over glue the coffee stirrer sections with epoxy.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: word omission
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 42

Set up the throws so that full up and full down (no roll) looks as shown.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 43

Try to make all the air ways as clear as possible for minimal drag.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 44

CG balance should be 3/8" in front of the shoulder blade notch, at the arrow. I needed 1.0 oz at the head to balance. Check your lateral balance to insure it is on the centerline. Total AUW is 29 oz.

I've done a lot of recent flight testing and now recommend a CG location of 1/2" in front of the notch (1/15/2013).
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 16, 2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: correction
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,717 Posts
Step 45

Celebrate!!!!! You are ready to fly. Throw him in the car and head to the local soccer field.

Flying tips-

Flyguy is easy to fly. Do not be concerned that he does not look like an airplane, because he does fly like an advanced trainer. It does take some mental adjustment to see/fly a human form in the sky. Because the center of drag is above the thrust line, he will do a slight pitch up with applcation of power even with the 4 degrees of down thrust vector. This is a desireable trainer characterisitc. Like most advanced trainers with ailerons, you will have to apply a little up to keep his head high in turns. I have had several beginners get stick time on Flyguy. These are flyers that have just figured out the right from left issue when the plane is coming towards them. They have enjoyed every minute of the experience. With this power setup, Flyguy cruises just above 1/2 throttle. Landing approaches can be flown with partial power but be sure to cut power completely just before touchdown. This will keep you from digging the prop into the ground, allowing it to rotate out of the way. Hand launches are easy but awkward. I set the transmitter on the ground, pick up Flyguy and hold him with my left hand by one of the breast plate skids at the CG. I then carefully (avoiding the throttle) pick up the transmitter and slowly apply full throttle and then give a gentle, nose high (15 degree) push and release. Off he flys. Check out the various videos. For the first few flights, it may be easier to ask for a hand launch.

Trimming: Your Flyguy may have a yaw to the left or right due to motor or structure alignment issues. If the yaw is significant, Flyguy will turn one way better than the other. This should be trimmed out immediately. If you have a nose left yaw, cut the inside left ankle surface of the Depron and bend the left foot toward center by a 1/4" and run a bead of CA down the cut line (note photo). If you have nose right yaw, do the same to the right ankle. Repeat until he tracks straight and you have good turn authority both directions.

Happy flying.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Mar 02, 2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Flying tips