SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Build Log
Build: Birdofplay 62" Flyguy

Flyguy 62 Version 2 Build Log is at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1836963

Adizero Flying Golfers at Torrey Pines (5 min 10 sec)

History: Flyguy came to being after a visit to my local hobby shop where one of the workers showed me a 30 second clip of an RC flying man. I decided I wanted to design and build a flying person while keeping it inexpensive, simple to build and easy to fly. The design has 11 Depron parts and on the larger versions some plywood bracing and 4 carbon fiber stiffeners. Flyguy can easily be built in less than 10 hours and I have built one in as little as 5 hours, with precut parts.

This Build Log is a “how to” step by step process of building a 62” Flyguy using the Birdofplay 6mm Depron cutouts available from Northwest Cutout Service. His website is balsabuddies.com. The plans are also available on the Flyguy discussion thread and are posted here. This build is a first trial of the cutouts. Modifications I mention in the build log should be incorporated in the actual cutouts and plans. With the tabs/slots, it is easy to trial fit every step and is recommended.

I will be using only hobby store available parts to complete Flyguy. Recommended power is 200 to 400w. 200w provides good, advanced trainer performance, while over 300w provides unlimited vertical capability. Although I will be using a 200w Parkzone motor, I will be bracing Flyguy for up to 400w of power. I will also personalize the head graphics. If you follow this process, you will have a durable Flyguy that will fly well.

In addition, if you happen to get out to the Los Angeles or San Diego area and would like a RTF Flyguy 62 Version 2, I now offer them flight tested, less battery and transmitter for $700. Inquire through flyingguys.com.

Flyguy Discussion Thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1505753

Happy flying.

Fun, build video made with photos.
Build: 62" Flyguy with balsabuddies.com Cutouts by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 7 sec)

First 2 flights.
1st Flight of the balsabuddies.com 62 Inch Flyguy by Otto Dieffenbach (2 min 39 sec)

Flyguy62 as Superman.
Airshow: RC Flyguy 62 as Superman Superhero by Otto Dieffenbach (3 min 0 sec)

Flyguy Flash Mob in HD (may take some time to load but worth a look).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Bfhp01NWQeM

Step 1

Flyguy is not a slow-fly plane like most Depron foamies; he is more like a balsa shoulder wing trainer. Make sure you do not reduce the prop pitch for slow-fly; he needs to move through the air for effective control.

What you will need. Feel free to substitute with equivalent:

Electronics (an old plane is a good source for parts)

A Transmitter that can mix Elevator and Ailerons, Pitch and Roll, for elevons (most have this feature)
Parkzone F4u or T-28 900kv motor and standard Parkzone prop (9.5 x 7.5)
30 amp ESC
3s 2200 mah 20c battery (Turnigy is $10)
2- Parkzone metal gear digital servos, DSV130M
AR600 Spectrum receiver
One 10 cm servo extension pigtail for ESC connection

Alternate Power Package for vertical performance:
Turnigy D3536/8 1000KV Brushless Outrunner Motor $16.90
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18228
40 amp ESC (Ebay $20-30)
Bf-109 Parkzone 3 blade prop cut down to 8.5" and balanced
3s 2200 mah 20c battery (Turnigy is $10)

Airframe

balsabuddies.com 62” Flyguy or hand cut one from plans
¼” or 5mm plywood (12x6 inches)
Parkzone Bf-109 flap hardware set, PKZ4921
4- Small Dubro hinges (comes in pack of 6)
1/8” carbon fiber tube, 40” long
2- Music wire 1mm
2- Small diameter coffee/cocktail stir straws
Gorilla Glue
Foam Safe CA with accelerator
5 minute epoxy
2 zip ties
Foam mounting tape
2-3 mm heat shrink tubing

Tools

Sharp knife
Razor saw
Sanding block with 150 grit paper
Flat table/work bench
Hand saw or scroll saw to cut plywood (if you don’t own one, find a friend that does)
Small Philips head screwdriver
Pliers and wire cutters
T-pins or equivalent
File (to bevel identified slots)

Finishing (optional)

4 sheets of glossy inkjet photo paper (digital camera, printer, computer, PowerPoint)
Rust-oleum spray paint, large cans $3.77 (many colors, Home Depot)

Here are a full sized PDF set of plans, not a tiled version. Tiling can be accomplished with either Adobe X or Bill Segraves' ScaleAndTile3 software. The 62 inch is covered in this Build Log. The 46 inch is constructed the same except without plywood and is covered in the Flyguy46 Build Log. The 31 inch has a separate Build Log with plans and flys great. I have built two 62", two 46", a 39", a 38", a 31" and a 22". The flight characteristics are all similar; advanced trainers.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Apr 09, 2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Removed a line, added plans, pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 2

If you will be personalizing Flyguy, you will need to take head shots with your head looking up. You will need a front, side and back and a program like PowerPoint to enlarge or shrink the images. I use a plain background like a door.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 13, 2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 3

Select your power system. This is a standard Parkzone F4u/T-28 setup. The ESC is a 30 amp and battery a 3s 2200 mah 20c. A standard X mount can be attached to the Parkzone 900kv motor and then a 5mm plywood motor mount can be cut. Mine is X shaped to allow airflow.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 4

The balsabudies package comes as a double pizza box. 6 sheets of Depron, well packed.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 5

Take a sharp knife and separate the parts from the sheets. Save the sheets for scrap. Lightly sand the edges in preparation for assembly.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 6

Assemble the breast plate, sides and center body plate. I use foam safe CA with accelerator but Gorilla Glue will do. I use disposable gloves to protect the working surface.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: correction
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 7

I don’t like the mutant hands (5 fingers and thumb), so you can trim them as shown. It will not affect flight and will make a more durable hand (no extended thumb to break off). Join the two top/arm plates together with CA.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 8

Remove the chest nub so that Flyguy will slide smoothly on landing.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 9

Parts prepped and ready for assembly.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 10

Optional: You will need to size the head shots to fit the Depron cutouts. I use PowerPoint and print on glossy inkjet photo paper. Save the PowerPoint sized images for future replacement of images on Flyguy. For the side shot, I flip the image to insure the same outline. For the front and back, trim to the same outline and then draw the outline on the Depron. Note that you will now have a top and bottom side of the top plate. Trim the Depron to the image outline. Head graphics should be applied after build completion. I use Welder contact cement in the red tube. I put a bead on the back and spread to a thin layer with my finger.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 25, 2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: correction
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 11

I did a fit check and determined I needed to trim a little on the neck and could lower the top/arm plate 7/8 of an inch and still easily accommodate a 10 inch prop.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 12

You will need to cut a 5mm plywood neck T for durability. You can use a hand saw or scroll saw (recommended). The width of the T is ½ inch. The weight will help balance. Glue with a thin bead of Gorilla Glue. DO NOT USE WATER!
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: correction
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 13

First I marked the location of the ½ inch wide 5mm plywood lateral motor support. I located it over the first Depron tab. The support should span side to side and replace the front of the first tab. I lay the motor on the Depron with the plywood motor mount against the lateral support location and locate where the prop slot and motor cutout will be. I then make appropriate cuts and glue the Depron and support pieces in place with Gorilla Glue.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 14

Use a razor saw to remove excess Gorilla Glue. Easy to do when glue gets to rubber phase; more difficult if totally cured. Second photo is of the finished motor support bracing.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: correction
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 15

The prop slot location requires the front of the breast plate to be trimmed by 2 inches.