HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:19 PM
Uh Oh Jungo
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2003
779 Posts
Thanks for doing all this for us Mark. I've answered "Yes" to the the poll as I'm sure many others will as more people discover the IR method of assesing lipos. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Jeff
ParkJeff is offline Find More Posts by ParkJeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:52 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,156 Posts
Thanks Jeff. I sure appreciate it.

I emphatically agree that the data will be most useful if it's all in one place so I will commit to have it all in a single spreadsheet by the end of next week. As evidenced by the database spreadsheet, I'm no Excel guru but I muddle through. Consequently, the first stab will consist of compiling all of the data in the same Excel format. Once I have it all in one place I will then research ways to make it easily sortable and searchable.

Keep bugging me.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:16 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,156 Posts
Hi all,

As promised, I have started to compile all of the reported results in the database thread. They're located in the .zip file in post #1. Not complete yet but I'm better than half way through and wanted to get some feedback on its usefulness.

Cheers,
Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:30 AM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Jan 2007
11 Posts
Mark, Had an opportunity to look at the lipoly database the you have posted. It is just great. It should prove to be a great resource and a real valuable source of battery info. Thanks for the work you and everyone has done Stan
Abington Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Abington Flyer
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:26 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,156 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Stan and glad that you find it useful. Hope to have all of the data compiled soon so that it's even easier to make meaningful comparisons.

Regards,
Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:22 AM
Uh Oh Jungo
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2003
779 Posts
Hi Mark,

Haven't had a chance to post the past few days. Thanks very much for putting the data in a worksheet for us. I'll be checking it out as soon as I can find some time to download onto my desktop PC. Need a big screen to take in all the data.

Jeff
ParkJeff is offline Find More Posts by ParkJeff
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
Thunder Power G6 65C

I have read about 15 pages and I'm starting to come to a conclusion and correct me If im wrong.

The G6 Thunder power 65C batteries are actually not capable of 65C-130C as claimed?

I'm looking at getting a few 3S 1800mAh TP G6 65-130C batteries but I was led to this site from someone i will leave nameless in order for me to understand what manufacturers claims is not always true.

Is the price tag worth it $50 for one TP 65C 3S 1800mAh lipo? I'm beginning to rethink my choice.

Thanks
jetspeedz is offline Find More Posts by jetspeedz
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:00 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
I have read about 15 pages and I'm starting to come to a conclusion and correct me If im wrong.

The G6 Thunder power 65C batteries are actually not capable of 65C-130C as claimed?

I'm looking at getting a few 3S 1800mAh TP G6 65-130C batteries but I was led to this site from someone i will leave nameless in order for me to understand what manufacturers claims is not always true.

Is the price tag worth it $50 for one TP 65C 3S 1800mAh lipo? I'm beginning to rethink my choice.

Thanks
No, you're not wrong.
I do not believe any existing lipo is capable of more than a genuine 40c discharge as we understand it, ie a constant current discharge at 40c without excessive volt drop and/or excessive temperature rise with subsequent cell damage.

There have been so many wild claims here followed by invitations to post real discharge curves followed by silence that most people now accept the fact.

Wayne
Wayne Giles is offline Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
Wayne, I want to thank you for your work on this thread and I have began reading your "Lipo C Rating" thread as well. It does not surprise me how manufacturers make these wild claims just to make a sale at the expense of deceiving customers.

Back on topic, I have searched but can not find anything specific on the TP 1800 3S packs IR values so I can only assume based on the larger capacity TP data on this thread that the same issue applies to the smaller packs. Coincidentally i was also recommended Boost lipos which have similar claims.

Now I was led to this site by another manufacturer which claims a much lower True C rating for their batteries and told me:

"You will see that for a cell of 1500mAh it requires an IR of less than 1mΩ to support 65C. IR's that low are completely unheard of, especially in mini-type packs. True IR's in these mini-type packs are typically in the 6 to 8 mΩ range and higher."

I guess my question is are the TP lipos even slightly better than a 25C lipo of the same size 3S 1500-1800mAh or is their IR rating basically the same as their competitors and not even worth the price tag. I don't suspect the 40C rating you mentioned is the TP or Boost lipos which has been tested for 40C continuous?

Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:10 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,156 Posts
Wayne is absolutely correct. 65C continuous for a full discharge is currently preposterous and would result in a damaged pack. TP is obviously not alone in their propensity for making unsubstantiated performance claims. This trend is currently an epidemic and precisely why this thread and the tool exists.

This does not mean that the TP packs are not great lipolys and worthy of their price. Only the consumer can make that assessment. For a typical sport flyer, there may be better options. For competitive racers, the TP packs may prove to be a bargain.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
Mark, i see your participation in this thread and I thank you as well for shedding a light on this issue.

Your statement about TP to me is a little confusing, if the rating is overrated to boost sales does that not mean the price they are asking is not worth the value you are receiving.

I guess a better question is what would you recommend for me looking at a 3S lipo between 1500-1800mAh. I'm going to be running two of them in parallel in a car with a Neu motor which is capable of drawing 1000W which equates to 90A Max draw (1000w / 11.1v = 90A)
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
Wayne same question for you what do you recommend, I initially decided to go with TP b/c of their marketing claims but I for one will not be suckered thanks to a honest vendor leading me to this site.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:26 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,156 Posts
My statement merely meant that the TP lipolys may be the absolute best available and some are willing to pay whatever price the seller demands to obtain the best available performance.

500W from any 3S 1500-1800mAh lipoly is asking a lot and would lead to a short life if this is a continuous or average power draw. I have my doubts whether the TP's or any other lipoly can handle this on a repeated basis.

I typically consult the data in the lipoly performance database thread and other scattered threads when making purchase decisions. I have only seen a few reports on the "65C" TP's but they seemed to offer great performance. I have never purchased any TP packs myself but then my typical flight times are between 4-15 minutes so I tend to purchase packs more in the 'budget' end of the spectrum. My current favorites are 25C Hyperion CX and 25C Gens Ace.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:29 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post

I guess my question is are the TP lipos even slightly better than a 25C lipo of the same size 3S 1500-1800mAh or is their IR rating basically the same as their competitors and not even worth the price tag. I don't suspect the 40C rating you mentioned is the TP or Boost lipos which has been tested for 40C continuous?

Thanks
I really don't have enough experience of TP lipos to be able to answer your question. Many people say that TP lipos have a longer life than cheap lipos but I have not used many so am not qualified to comment.
In terms of IR and hence C ratings, I don't believe that they are particularly outstanding.
Mark is right to point out that 'C' rating is not the only criteria in buying a lipo. The problem is that it is too often used as a dishonest sales claim.

Wayne
Wayne Giles is offline Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
My statement merely meant that the TP lipolys may be the absolute best available and some are willing to pay whatever price the seller demands to obtain the best available performance.

500W from any 3S 1500-1800mAh lipoly is asking a lot and would lead to a short life if this is a continuous or average power draw. I have my doubts whether the TP's or any other lipoly can handle this on a repeated basis.

I typically consult the data in the lipoly performance database thread and other scattered threads when making purchase decisions. I have only seen a few reports on the "65C" TP's but they seemed to offer great performance. I have never purchased any TP packs myself but then my typical flight times are between 4-15 minutes so I tend to purchase packs more in the 'budget' end of the spectrum. My current favorites are 25C Hyperion CX and 25C Gens Ace.

Mark
I understand, I have looked at the list and downloaded it but most of the batteries on that list are much larger capacity than what I need or lower.

This Neu motor is highly efficient which is why I decided to use it over a big block conversion. The issue is finding the right batteries that can actually supply the power it needs without melting or ballooning up. I have looked at three options based on recommendations between TP, Boost and SPC. My concern with SPC was not enough Max Amps to feed the motor, while the TP and Boost claims were much higher made it a obvious decision until i read this thread which has given me a totally new perspective. The problem is most people look at what is advertised which is the C rating and not IR. So unless i can get some first hand hobbyist to tell me what they have actually measured out of the 3 different packs I have to rely on data from much larger capacity lipos to come to a conclusion, hence my problem in choosing the correct lipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles View Post
I really don't have enough experience of TP lipos to be able to answer your question. Many people say that TP lipos have a longer life than cheap lipos but I have not used many so am not qualified to comment.
In terms of IR and hence C ratings, I don't believe that they are particularly outstanding.
Mark is right to point out that 'C' rating is not the only criteria in buying a lipo. The problem is that it is too often used as a dishonest sales claim.

Wayne
I agree, I guess i was hoping to get some first hand experience from you guys in terms of TP lipos