HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
Discussion
HK Flycat DF

I bought this plane along with a big order. If buying it alone the shipping I believe is over $30. So the total cost was in the $45 range for the plane. Still OK for a cheap foamy. When my order weight was reaching the shipping weight of the FlyCat shipped I added it to the order. So I get my order and maybe $10 more I got the plane shipped in a big box. They will pile in all the other stuff in the same box if there is room. That is where you save.

So here is the plane built and I used a Turnigy 4200Kv DF motor they had on sale. I test flew the plane early in January and it flew very well. I guesstimate it was over 60mph with a 1300 3S 11.1v battery. I think with a 2200 4S battery and larger Esc in the plane it could approach 90mph.

Visibility on a white foam plane is not good. I color packing taped the plane with some orange, black, and blue stripes topside and also the undersides to help see the plane. Bulding the plane I recommend putting at least 2mm CF rods inside the planes nose to well past the leading edge and maybe 3mm in the wing spar area. The plane is slim to make it look and fly fast with little resistance. So an unstrengthened plane will just blow apart in a crash.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:21 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,644 Posts
I'd buy it, but looks like EPS foam so just looking at it wrong will break it

Good color scheme.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:33 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
It is not bad a flier. You have to strengthen the plane before putting it together with lots of carbon rods in the fuselage and open the battery compartment to take a larger battery first before gluing it up. I put rods also under each boom and a larger one for wing spar . It is a very good plane. It flies very well. Check these videos out. Not a starter jet.

This flier Billy G gives a good demo using a Little Screamer Outrunner. The plane is a pusher. It is faster as a pusher. He also gives his evaluation on the plane after the flight.
Crazy Fast FLYCAT review By BILLY D Part 2 (2 min 53 sec)

Here is a stock DF version like mine with a 2200 25C 3s battery The stock kit EDF unit with HK 2627-4300kv gold Edf outrunner motor, ESC Turnigy Plush 40A/3A BEC, 3 x HXT 900 servos and TURNIGY 3S 2200 mAh 25C lipo
FLYCAT EDF maiden flight (3 min 23 sec)

Here is a 124 MPH Pusher version demo. If you want speed a pusher is the way to go. This Fly Cat demo has a motor 3400kv, ESC 50a, 4,5x4,5, and a 3s 1800mAh 30c Lipo
Fly Cat HK pusher (200km\h +) (Very Fast!) (1 min 16 sec)

**Neons** Bob
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:56 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
Got my maiden flight in on Jan 31,2010. Flew great but just a bit to much ailerons. I have to trim back some as it is sensitive to them. it was a good maiden with a old 1300mah 11.1 3S lipoly. I believe it was a 25c. I put a scoop intake under the nose for some more air flow. All was just luke warm.
**Neons** Bob

1-31-2012 Flycat- Maiden.wmv (3 min 15 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:12 PM
columbia, sc
Joined Jan 2007
315 Posts
I bought one a while back, along with a big order. did a quick sloppy job of gluing together, didn't use CF spars but rather shish kebab skewers. no problems so far. it isn't as fast as you would think but it is still fun to fly and has that howl that scares the little kids at the park. balance it 110 mm from the apex of the LE and you will be golden. landing is done with 1/2 throttle for approach and 1/3 throttle when you get about ten feet off the deck. you WILL run out of elev. if you slow down!
circletree is offline Find More Posts by circletree
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:03 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
I found as long as I was going fast I had good control. I added more black top and dark. blue bottom to help me see the plane better. It is very hard to see unless the sun is on my back. If I use cruiising speed with it, it sags in the roundup coming back. I have high ailerons throws and I have to take ome off.It is very sensitive to the ailerons. . Other than that I like it pretty well,.
**Neons** Bob
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:12 AM
columbia, sc
Joined Jan 2007
315 Posts
I ordered me a second one, will glass it with lightweight glass cloth. I like the anti-glare panel out on the nose, I'll copy that on number two. lots of fun for 15 dollars! I'm off to Clemson Road, flying time!
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:27 AM
columbia, sc
Joined Jan 2007
315 Posts
flew out one 1300 pack this morning.....still working on finding the optimum approach speed, I'm still coming in too hot, cracked the nose again. nos problemos, will merely epoxy it, but will add some glass cloth to strengthen it. I love the climbing turn, and low fast passes!
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:46 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
When I had the plane out of the box I added 2 CF 1mm or 1.5mm rods from the tip of the nose to beyond the leading edge oft the wing. I had done this to another previous plane and buried the nose 2 times in soft grass 5 inches deep and it never did much damage to the nose area again. Split Blue Arrow CF arrow shafts blanks that I bought in eBay are 5 mm hollow and can be split down to snaller sticks also, Care should be taken to block sand the splits before handling so you do not get a CF splinter. Split arrow blanks can be used in the wing or anywhere else. I also put a 1mm CF under each tail boom. All battery size and other electronics and wires are test fitted before you put the fuselage halves together with at least a few trial fits. I also put an air scoop under the nose to force air into the fuselage.

I did notice that a tube extension was on one of the demo videos in here. I do not recall if it was in the box. I think the tube will help in the elevator handling as it directs the thrust onto the elevator also at slower speeds. It has to be very light plastic so it does not effect the CG much. The DF has a degree of down thrust also to raise the nose in flight built into the foam mount.

**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Feb 05, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:50 PM
columbia, sc
Joined Jan 2007
315 Posts
I broke down and ordered two more.......one will be a DF and I am going to try the pusher for the second.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:24 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
I was going to go pusher but I wanted to try the DF. I have a few other DF's but nothing was as fast as my last pusher with a 4.7x4.7 Apc prop. She howled and was pretty fast for me at 105mph. Hit a tree about 90mph. I found about 15 pieces of foam and electronics. All the strengthening I did had no effect here. I have the components bagged for maybe a FunJet. I feel the pushers are faster.
**Neons** Bob
Old Feb 09, 2012, 01:57 PM
columbia, sc
Joined Jan 2007
315 Posts
finally getting a handle on landing mine, i still start my approach from what seems like two miles out! i throttle back to 1/2 throttle on downwind, ease down to about 1/3 right before making my turn crosswind and chop throttle on final, then ease back into it while slowly feeding in up elevator....a higher AoA helps scrub off some speed and keeps me from having to walk 100 yards to retrieve the durn thing...it will skim along in ground effect for a loooong time!
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:46 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
Sounds like you are still coming in hot. It just seems strange to come in down wind and turn for some cross wind. Is your head on wind blocked by trees or some obstruction on the landing approach? Or is the wind across the field? At least you got it safely in. Sometimes on my straight pass across my field with a tailwind for my approach, I have to make a large circle with throttle slow to bleed speed the as I come onto the wind. If I am high I make a corkscrew a lap or two for the approach. I try to bring it in 1/4 throttle to about 6 feet off and kill it for the skid in. I only skidded maybe 8 feet to a stop. That is what I did in the video.
**Neons** Bob
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:32 PM
columbia, sc
Joined Jan 2007
315 Posts
oh no, I always land into the wind. downwind leg is followed by crosswind then final approach, just like full scale aviation. flew out two packs today, second pack I flew to LVC...luckily the LVC hit as I was just about to flare! the ESC that I am running (Turnigy 30A) has a soft LVC which slows the motor gradually. I still like to make the long approach, it just looks better to me!
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:46 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
Seems like you are having a great time with the plane. I was hoping I could get out tomorrow with my FlyCat. Temps in low 50's here. Unheard of weather. I may finish my house project to late. The sun angle will be in my eyes.
**Neons** Bob