HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2003, 12:57 PM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
How do I reverse a servo?

I will be running 2 aileron servos off of a "Y" connector and I need to reverse 1 of the servos. Is there a easy way to do this? thanks....R....
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2003, 01:00 PM
Closet Extrovert
In transit Los Angeles ->AZ, -> KY
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
Forgive the obvious question, but can you just mount it in the opposite direction?
Jim Poor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Poor
Old Oct 08, 2003, 01:26 PM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
By far the easiest way is to get a Y harness with a reverser in one leg. Expert Electronics (http://www.horizonhobby.com) sells one.

The other option is to go in and reverse the outer two leads on the potentiometer, and reverse the two leads on the servo motor.

Just turning the servo around won't help. Remember, a servo's movement is angular; it moves around in a circle. No matter how you turn the servo around its axis, the servo will still move in the same direction.

On the side requiring the "reversed" servo, you need to mount your pushrod to the opposite side of the servo wheel, while maintaining the pushrod geometry so both surfaces move the same amount...

One option is to mount the servo upside down in the same place. This is often not practical, as the servo body would be protruding outside the plane.

Another option is to move the servo sideways so you can attach to the opposite side of the wheel, and keep the pushrod angle the same. As long as you keep all the distances the same (servo arm length, control horn length, pushrod length), and the pushrods are both parallel when both servos are centeredl, it will work fine.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Oct 08, 2003, 01:37 PM
Closet Extrovert
In transit Los Angeles ->AZ, -> KY
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
I was thinking of a wingmounted servo, guess it doesn't pay to assume. In the case I had in mind, if you mount one servo with the arm/wheel facing one way and the other opposite, the motion is reversed.

Randyk,
Where are you mounting the servos?
Jim Poor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Poor
Old Oct 08, 2003, 02:42 PM
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Servos are in the wing (ailerons). I just bought the plane from another "zoner" so I dont know if the servos are glued in or screwed in yet. I should get it in the mail tomorrow, I will look as soon as it gets here....R...
Old Oct 08, 2003, 05:59 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyK1
Servos are in the wing (ailerons).
You shouldn't have to reverse anything. If both servos face inward, or both face outward, an ordinary Y-harness will work fine. You can even get some aileron differential if you set up the linkage right.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Oct 08, 2003, 11:08 PM
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Miami Mike
You shouldn't have to reverse anything. If both servos face inward, or both face outward, an ordinary Y-harness will work fine. You can even get some aileron differential if you set up the linkage right.
Miami Mike, I turned 1 servo upside down so its working so far, BUT how do I " You can even get some aileron differential if you set up the linkage right." I think I should have 12-15mm up and 2-3mm down. Is there anyway to do this on one channel? What would happen if I left it at 12mm up & 12mm down? Thanks for your help......R......
Old Oct 09, 2003, 02:52 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,455 Posts
Randy,

Assuming that your servos are mounted on their sides, then switch on your radio and let the servos centre themselves. Remove the arms and then cant them forward by one or two splines before re-attaching them. Instant differential!

Here's a pic of my Bandit, showing the set-up used.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Oct 09, 2003, 06:00 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,476 Posts
That's what I had in mind, but I doubt that it's possible to get 12-15mm up and 2-3mm down that way. That's a ratio of 5 or 6 to 1 rather than the more common 2 to 1. Randy may have to settle for what he can get or else buy a new radio.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Oct 09, 2003, 08:32 PM
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
I just gotta get this to hold me , untill I can save up for an Eclipse (very soon). Thanks, ..R..