HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:17 AM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Discussion
Got my MPA this week! YES!

My MPA showed up the beginning of this week. I was very impressed with the packing and documentation. All the bits and pieces were there. I strongly suggest picking up the recommended balance cable extension. The unit is built very solid. Actually, it is sturdier than it appears in the FMA ads. I was worried about possible flexing of the PCB but the heavy ABS base securing the PCB more than takes care of that concern.

I figured I would test this unit out. I pulled out six 6S 5300 maH 30C Gens Ace packs I had sitting at storage charge. I hooked all six up to the MPA for a snug but comfortable fit. Since you don't get a lot of wire length on the balance plugs for these lipos, I would suggest picking up some 6S-XH extension cables at your LHS. This especially applies if you have big hands and fingers like I do. You want to be able to connect and dis-connect the balance connectors comfortably without breaking anything.

I connected everything to my PL-8 and fired up the 24 volt power supply. Using the "High Power" setting, I set the PL-8 to deliver a 33 amp charge current which is comfortably below the 40 amp maximum current of the MPA. The 33 amps gave slightly over 1C charging to each pack. I set the PL-8 to cycle charge. Everything worked exactly as I expected it to. Using the CCS software, I could see that all six packs charged evenly, paused and then discharged to storage level.

I'm happy!
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
206 Posts
Just got my two, and I hope Howard watches this thread!

Amazing device and very good workmanship.

Howard, the package insert mentions "daisy chaining" them, but how does one go about hooking up the mains when doing this?

Thanks
ReddiK is offline Find More Posts by ReddiK
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:16 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddiK View Post
Just got my two, and I hope Howard watches this thread!

Amazing device and very good workmanship.

Howard, the package insert mentions "daisy chaining" them, but how does one go about hooking up the mains when doing this?

Thanks
See my answer in the other thread where you posted same question...
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Feb 08, 2012, 06:31 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Hmm, you guys mentioned packaging and instructions, mine came in in bubble wrap without a single piece of manual.
Odd.
I have purchased some deans caps as well, because mine came without (not a big deal)
Great board anyway.
Since I don't have any manual (haven't had a chance to use the board yet), what wiring mode should I set my PL8 to? XH or leave at FMA wiring mode?
Never mind, found this http://www.revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1400.pdf
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Last edited by AcidDrink; Feb 08, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 06:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
206 Posts
XH-my two came in bubble wrap, with a one sheet manual, and each Dean's connector had a cap.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Mine came fully documented with every Deans cap in place.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:00 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Thanks guys. As I said no big deal, looks like European distributors got just the boards without boxes and deans caps.

Boards are out of stock and ETA is March, so I am glad I've got mine.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
206 Posts
Caps are pretty cheap. If you need a set, I'd be happy to send them.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Looks like this thing is almost jumping off the shelves at F.M.A. That has to say a lot about the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
Boards are out of stock and ETA is March, so I am glad I've got mine.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
206 Posts
When you consider HOW MANY functions it has (the Swiss army knife of parallel boards), the price is almost nothing. This is typical of the "new" FMA design philosophy, in my opinion: the value received for any of its designed is amazing, and when compared to other products from China, or whatever, well, there is no comparison-you get outstanding design and quality manufacturing, along with many, many more functions or whatever.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 01:59 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddiK View Post
Caps are pretty cheap. If you need a set, I'd be happy to send them.
Thank you for your offer, I've got a couple of sets from ebay really cheap.