HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:13 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
Esm 74 Corsair Engine Choice

I finally ordered my Corsair today after debating for weeks. I'm at a crossroad trying to figure out which Engine I should use to power my warbird. ESM recommends using a 26cc to 36cc engine. I'm already expecting to add a hefty amount of lead to this warbird in order to have the correct cg.

Keeping that in mind I'm considering using a larger engine for several reasons. First I can add weight and cut down the amount a lead needed for CG with a larger and heavier engine. Secondly I don't want to spend twice if I'm not happy and I want more power. I'd rather buy a larger engine and throttle back rather than try pushing the transmitter throttle through the the remote searching for more power lol....

My question is how much larger of an engine should I go with. I was looking at a DLE 40, Fuji 43, the PTE 36 or a DA50 or a G38. I know those are a lot of choices but that's what I'm working with. I've tried looking for someone that someone that has used a larger engine in a 74 but I haven't had much luck. I need some input.... My birds on the way and I need to figure this out....
midastouch_73 is offline Find More Posts by midastouch_73
Last edited by midastouch_73; Jan 20, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:51 PM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined Oct 2009
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch_73 View Post
I finally ordered my Corsair today after debating for weeks. I'm at a crossroad trying to figure out which Engine I should use to power my warbird. ESM recommends using a 26cc to 36cc engine. I'm already expecting to add a hefty amount of lead to this warbird in order to have the correct cg.

Keeping that in mind I'm considering using a larger engine for several reasons. First I can add weight and cut down the amount a lead needed for CG with a larger and heavier engine. Secondly I don't want to spend twice if I'm not happy and I want more power. I'd rather buy a larger engine and throttle back rather than try pushing the transmitter throttle through the the remote searching for more power lol....

My question is how much larger of an engine should I go with. I was looking at a DLE 40, Fuji 43, the PTE 36 or a DA50 or a G38. I know those are a lot of choices but that's what I'm working with. I've tried looking for someone that someone that has used a larger engine in a 74 but I haven't had much luck. I need some input.... My birds on the way and I need to figure this out....
My choice for this airframe is the Zenoah 26...very scale flight/almost underpowered. I would go for something is 33-36 cc range. One guy has a Zenoah G38 and loves it. A guy at our field has the Dauntless w/ST 2300...way fast !!!
corsair167 is offline Find More Posts by corsair167
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:11 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
I just bought the same model and plan to install a DLE-30.

A guy at the field has an ESM Dauntless with the DLE-30 and it's WAY plenty power.

I have a DLE-30 in a 1/4 scale Sig Cub which is pretty heavy to boot and it's way too much power, even with 105 inch span - to fly it like a Cub anyway. But it gets off the runway pretty nicely.

A DLE-30 is plenty for the ESM 74" Corsair. I don't anticipate any fitment problems in the cowl.
LBJ is offline Find More Posts by LBJ
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:09 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2010
165 Posts
hi,
I have the ESM P-47 with the DLE30 in it, very good combination, good buzz power for that size model, the standard muffler is only a redirection device, there are Pitts style mufflers that work a lot better.
the standard muffler fitted inside the cowl on the 47, all I did was to slightly tilt the engine so the exhaust came out at the bottom, I use a JXF brand prop, 19x8 works well.

find a thread about the model, ESM only have a guess at what the CofG should be, usually WAY too far back, (tail heavy) the recommended throws are only good if you like 3D style flying, also an ESM guess.
I have 2 ESM Models, both good kits, fly well, but the 47 is by far the best to fly.
Oldtimer
oldtimer47 is offline Find More Posts by oldtimer47
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, WI, De Pere
Joined Aug 2010
177 Posts
Hi

I had a ESM Corsair and installed the dle 30. Sweet flying airplane. Only issues I have was the esm retracts, they were junk.

Good luck with your build
goforit is online now Find More Posts by goforit
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:13 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
I am going to use the Sierras I had in my H9 Hellcat on the ESM Corsair. They are the best. Same rotating retract design and for the same approximate weight and size model. I had nothing but trouble with the Hellcat retracts till I gutted up and bought the Sierras. Man, they are the best.
LBJ is offline Find More Posts by LBJ
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:28 AM
United States, OK, Guymon
Joined Apr 2011
63 Posts
I'd put a Mintor 33 on it. In that airframe the engine is going to be visible and you need eye candy.

http://www.topdawgaviation.com/Engin.../33cc/33cc.php

Its also shorter than many of the others, including the DLE 30.

http://www.mintor.net/pagine/documenti.html

I have the Mintor 55 and can assure you that the motors are works of art! And the price is close, too $300 vs $325 for the DLE vs Mintor.

At least thats how I'd look at it.
panhndl is offline Find More Posts by panhndl