HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:31 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2004
20 Posts
Discussion
Aeroworks 52" Freestyle Extra 260 Build

Hello fellow RCGroupies

I'm "building" a new Aeroworks 52" Freestyle Extra 260 and figured since this is a brand new airplane on the market you guys wouldn't mind seeing a few pictures and video once its completed.
Aeroworks has completed just about every step of assembly at the factory. It is pretty much just bolt/ screw your equipment in and fly type airplane. Tonight I was just planning on un packing everything and doing a few misc task. But its looking like the only thing to do is start assembly. If you would like to see diffrent pictures of the parts please feel free to ask. I will try and make sure and post them on here.
Jason
Jason 3-danhakl is offline Find More Posts by Jason 3-danhakl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:32 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2004
20 Posts
If you are not familar with Aero Works QB (quick build) models, these pictures show exactly what a QB model offers most others do not. Fit and finish of a QB model is beyond what most custom builders could ever match. The included hardware is all high quality and included because it works. The best part of owning a QB model is the level of pre fabrication done for you at the factory. Every step that can be completed at the factory has been done. This saves a ton of time getting the airplane ready to fly. Just a couple examples are pre cut and mounted wheel pants. All you have to do is bolt them on to the pre drilled landing gear
The cowls are also pre mounted and cut out for proper airflow to cool the motor. Larger QB's have the engine baffles molded into the cowl. Bottom line Aeroworks does whatever it takes to produce the highest quality and exceptional flying airplanes on the market. This takes all the work out of it for us and makes sure getting to the flying field happens asap Also the airframes are so well build they last for years and still fly just like the day you test flew it

All of this QB info is well known in the Giant Scale crowd but might be a new concept here in the smaller electric segment.
Last edited by Jason 3-danhakl; Jan 24, 2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:32 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2004
20 Posts
Video Link

Jason Danhakl Aeroworks 52" Freestyle Extra 260 (5 min 20 sec)
Last edited by Jason 3-danhakl; Jan 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: adding you tube link
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:27 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,619 Posts
looks good. Thanks for posting
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:01 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,757 Posts
Looking forward to video.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:29 AM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Nice looking piece there JD!
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:32 AM
Norway, Rogaland, Sandnes
Joined Oct 2009
301 Posts
Looks good. Wouldn't mind a few pics of the finished plane and maybe a video.
awry is offline Find More Posts by awry
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:49 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2004
20 Posts
Well I've got most of this project completed already. Mounting the stab was very straight forward with the center alignment pin. I hate dealing with getting the tail feathers aligned properly and that little dowel sure saved a lot of

For the ultra weight guru the tail wheel assembly is a spot where some weight could be lost. Maybe just a skid if your ok with the grinding noise. I'm flying off grass and pavement so the tail wheel is staying just as provided. Also the main wheels are a little on the large side compared to most 50" electrics I've messed with. They are very light but a person might be able to shave a few grams with smaller wheels.

I've always really liked Extra 260's and this one has the classic lines of the 260. But it is clearly wrapped in a full on 3d airplane. More to come today as progress happens.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:52 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2004
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awry View Post
Looks good. Wouldn't mind a few pics of the finished plane and maybe a video.
LoL Man I just took it out of the box yesterday
I will post video very soon at this rate of progress!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:29 AM
Highlands Ranch Colorado
Joined Sep 2010
59 Posts
Just got mine today! Double boxed, nice packing job and everything wrapped individually. Just took everything out of the box everything looks perfect. It was impressive that all the holes are already pre-cut. The only things you have to cut out are for the inner side force generators if you decide to use them (yes I will) and a heat exit. The Ultra-cote was beautiful. The decals are already pre-cut. Very nice manual. It comes with a matching spinner! Going to go with the recommended Hacker A30-12XL it should have plenty of power. Stopping by the Hobby Store in the morning to pick up some odds and ends. Hitec HS65MG's for the aileron's, Hitec HS85MG for the elevator and going with the HS5085MG for the rudder. 1-18" servo extension 4-3" servo extensions. I should have this completed by tomorrow afternoon. Suppose to be windy tomorrow so maiden on Sunday Sunday Sunday.
vinman0725 is offline Find More Posts by vinman0725
Last edited by vinman0725; Jan 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:07 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2004
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman0725 View Post
Just got mine today! Double boxed, nice packing job and everything wrapped individually. Just took everything out of the box everything looks perfect. It was impressive that all the holes are already pre-cut. The only things you have to cut out are for the inner side force generators if you decide to use them (yes I will) and a heat exit. The Ultra-cote was beautiful. The decals are already pre-cut. Very nice manual. It comes with a matching spinner! Going to go with the recommended Hacker A30-12XL it should have plenty of power. Stopping by the Hobby Store in the morning to pick up some odds and ends. Hitec HS65MG's for the aileron's, Hitec HS85MG for the elevator and going with the HS5085MG for the rudder. 1-18" servo extension 4-3" servo extensions. I should have this completed by tomorrow afternoon. Suppose to be windy tomorrow so maiden on Sunday Sunday Sunday.
Show us some pics of yours. I'm going to test hop mine today. Amazing how fast the assembly process happens. Really looking forward to wringing this things neck!! :-)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:54 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2004
20 Posts
Well she is ready to test fly. The graphics make it look better IMO. Hoping to get decent video today. Will post that tonight.
Equipment used:
Motor: Rimfire 32
ESC: Flight Power 50 amp
Batt: Flight Power 2500 25c 4s
Servos: Futaba s3156's
RX: Futaba R617
TX: Futaba 7C

The airplane weighs right at 56 oz minus the battery. That is right on target of whats listed by Aeroworks on the box. I think if you really worked at it maybe an ounce could be shaved off. At 56oz she should have very light wing loading and fly awesome. I'll know later today
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:55 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jan 2004
20 Posts
Got six flights on her today. The weather was awesome but a little cloudy so sorry for the dark video. This airplane flies very solid but really shines in High Alpha anything. Just stable as can be dragging it around on the prop. Really does the straight line stuff nice to. The color scheme shows up well in the air and flies bad ass. Can't wait to get more flight time. One thing I noticed right away is the rudder works really well with all those SFG's. With a little practice I'm sure that can be exploited more
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:19 AM
United States, KY, Morning View
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Do you feel the rimfire motor is a better choice or the hacker
bjackson1206 is offline Find More Posts by bjackson1206
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
Highlands Ranch Colorado
Joined Sep 2010
59 Posts
Jason I am also interested in the comparison to the Hacker. Can you post your motor numbers? watts/amps/prop size? Thanks

Was looking forward to my maiden today but we are having 25mph winds......

Your video was awesome!
vinman0725 is offline Find More Posts by vinman0725