SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:55 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
The metal to metal to metal slippage points would explain your feeling that it takes longer for it to lock back up after slipping..

The lack of any cushioning might became a problem when you start sucking up and mulching those Oak leaves.. But till beats raking them up..

If only raking them up was even an option. It's not like other places when we have fall here. The leaves keep growing and old ones are falling every day, constantly. Since i have like 100 oak trees in my yard, as well as all my neighbors. Raking them up would be frivolous. As they would simply be right back the next day. Hell within a few hours. Grass does not grow under all this shade and leaves, even in the summer. so it's not like i have much of a yard to keep. When it's a little windy it's like it's raining leaves out here.

But your fat fuel line was both tacky and thick enough to create a frictioning effect rather quickly. That was the point i was trying to make. Your design will always have it's place for it's simplicity and cheaper cost.

In the line of simplicity. Your shafts, being the stock ones. Share a design i was enjoying with the tail hub being affixed to the shaft. I had my first ben clutch failure yesterday and it was, MAYBE, from my own fault and being careful not to over tighten the grub screw. But the tail hub flew off. LUCKY for me it still held the tail and didn't go shooting off or tail spinning. I landed and what i found was crazy. It should have flown off, and it damn sure should not have been holding the tail..

I got lucky, i still have all the parts. But i nearly had to buy a whole new clutch because of loosing that tail hub. So special care needs to be taken. I went ahead and coated the whole tip of the shaft in locktite this time as well as flooded the grub screw's hole. This way hopefully, not just the grub screw is holding it. The screw did not come loose, btw. The hub simply slipped off the shaft because it was not tight enough.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:30 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
If only raking them up was even an option. It's not like other places when we have fall here. The leaves keep growing and old ones are falling every day, constantly. Since i have like 100 oak trees in my yard, as well as all my neighbors. Raking them up would be frivolous. As they would simply be right back the next day. Hell within a few hours. Grass does not grow under all this shade and leaves, even in the summer. so it's not like i have much of a yard to keep. When it's a little windy it's like it's raining leaves out here.

But your fat fuel line was both tacky and thick enough to create a frictioning effect rather quickly. That was the point i was trying to make. Your design will always have it's place for it's simplicity and cheaper cost.

In the line of simplicity. Your shafts, being the stock ones. Share a design i was enjoying with the tail hub being affixed to the shaft. I had my first ben clutch failure yesterday and it was, MAYBE, from my own fault and being careful not to over tighten the grub screw. But the tail hub flew off. LUCKY for me it still held the tail and didn't go shooting off or tail spinning. I landed and what i found was crazy. It should have flown off, and it damn sure should not have been holding the tail..

I got lucky, i still have all the parts. But i nearly had to buy a whole new clutch because of loosing that tail hub. So special care needs to be taken. I went ahead and coated the whole tip of the shaft in locktite this time as well as flooded the grub screw's hole. This way hopefully, not just the grub screw is holding it. The screw did not come loose, btw. The hub simply slipped off the shaft because it was not tight enough.
Like I said in one of my other posts he should of made a counter sink on the shaft for the grub screw to sink into then there would be more than just the friction holding the hub from coming off. Or left ridges like I do on mine. Good thing is that just about all the time the tail rotor is pushing the hub onto the shaft.

I just came in to turn off the computer.. I'm going to the cottage,, not sure when I'll be back..

No word yet on if I'll be getting more shafts to make more kits up...

Take care... Bob
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:43 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I had a similar issue with my HK250 when changing the tail drive to Align parts. The Align shaft only has a small divot for the set screw to seat in, too small for the screw. It came loose several times on testing.
I ground the divot large enough for the set screw to seat properly. I then swabbed a little green sleeve retainer on the outer half of the hub. I put a little blue loctite on the top threads of the set screw and installed, being careful not to get any on the bottom to the set screw as thread lock can inhibit the holding capacity of the screw. It now holds so well I need a pinion puller to get it off.
I have not installed my slipper, but I think I will mill a flat on the shaft for the set screw to seat against.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Aug 2008
170 Posts
saved by the clutch

Well, I never really had a problem grinding tail gears on my 4#6 w\ techhead, but I thought the clutch was such a cool idea I got one and installed it.

It just paid for itself. When the flight path got a little to close to a crab apple tree, a gust of wind, and the tail prop snagged a leaf and wound its way up into the twigs. Must have run a good fraction of a second before shutdown, after which it just hung nose down swinging in the breeze.

There was no damage whatsoever to the gear train or the prop. After extraction it flew exactly as before.

Thanks Bob!
LiftBuster is offline Find More Posts by LiftBuster
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:26 PM
Get It? - Got It!
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2007
454 Posts
Bob I am interested in ordering a slipper clutch. Let me know if you will be making more.
Thank you
Maverickk is offline Find More Posts by Maverickk
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
38 Posts
Sounds like a must have for v120d02s! Are you still making them?
Sicilian0 is offline Find More Posts by Sicilian0
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:04 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,952 Posts
Quote:
I just came in to turn off the computer.. I'm going to the cottage,, not sure when I'll be back..

No word yet on if I'll be getting more shafts to make more kits up...

Take care... Bob

When he returns and gets around to the computer he will respond. It might be another week or 2 though.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:36 AM
Joined Aug 2012
38 Posts
Nice, thanks! I did read that he was going to the cottage just didn't realize it was several days ago!
Sicilian0 is offline Find More Posts by Sicilian0
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:57 AM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,064 Posts
Sunday I went tail in into the house dented the aluminum siding lip at top of garage opening. It slipped locking collar up against bearing on slipper clutch, tail shaft sleeve on tail steering set popped out. Had no stripped D holes or gears. Snapped sleeve back in readjusted collar on clutch back in the air. That's what made me decide to install the other clutch I ordered from Bob before I stripped D hole in B gear. Much quicker installation not having to replace B gear. Have Benmlee clutch for my third remaining V120d02s but I think I'll wait for another Bob's clutch instead after seeing how good Bob's work & reading how people are bending shaft on Benmlee clutch.
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:40 AM
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
I replaced my tail driven shaft of my v120d02s with the one of 4g6 carbon shaft and seems to have less friction on my heli.....makes it more powerful....however, robs slipper clutch keeps slipping and made the heli go hurricane every time I pulled on full throttle. I replaced the rubber tubing but still the same thing happened after a few hard throttle 3d flights..... Has anyone experienced the same thing? The 4g6 carbon tail rod is slightly shorter than theological metal tail rod......
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:21 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
I replaced my tail driven shaft of my v120d02s with the one of 4g6 carbon shaft and seems to have less friction on my heli.....makes it more powerful....however, robs slipper clutch keeps slipping and made the heli go hurricane every time I pulled on full throttle. I replaced the rubber tubing but still the same thing happened after a few hard throttle 3d flights..... Has anyone experienced the same thing? The 4g6 carbon tail rod is slightly shorter than theological metal tail rod......
Wait a minute here,, don't go blaming your slipping on my clutch Most likely it's the carbon fiber shaft spinning in the "D" holes on the "A" or "B" gear.. Why do you think Walkera switched to the metal shaft?? I'm sure it wasn't a money saving move but more of a problem solving one of the carbon fiber shaft rounding off it's "D".. Try CA'ing both gears on to the shaft and see if my clutch then works as designed.

NOTE I'm back in production with kits ready to ship on 9/14/12..
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:47 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian0 View Post
Nice, thanks! I did read that he was going to the cottage just didn't realize it was several days ago!
I'm back and in production email slipperclutch@mi.rr.com to place a order..
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Jun 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
Wait a minute here,, don't go blaming your slipping on my clutch Most likely it's the carbon fiber shaft spinning in the "D" holes on the "A" or "B" gear.. Why do you think Walkera switched to the metal shaft?? I'm sure it wasn't a money saving move but more of a problem solving one of the carbon fiber shaft rounding off it's "D".. Try CA'ing both gears on to the shaft and see if my clutch then works as designed.

NOTE I'm back in production with kits ready to ship on 9/14/12..
Hehe it might b the bearing oil that got into the tube and causing it to be slipping.... The carbon rod works well too thx bob
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:56 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
Hehe it might b the bearing oil that got into the tube and causing it to be slipping.... The carbon rod works well too thx bob

My clutch uses what's called a dry clutch,, which means it must be clean and dry.. I surely thought you knew this or I would of pointed this out first...

Hope to be shipping orders out today..
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:19 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
I have slipper clutches and parts in stock.. slipperclutch@mi.rr.com