Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Lord View Post
nice
do you know how long will it take to get to the UK?

A little over a week seems most common.. I'll email you the customs form number later so you can track it till it leaves the states..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:11 AM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Well, I hope you have a nice time on vacation

I just got a v120d02s myself this weekend, and stripped the gears on my maiden flight (which was pretty decent considering it was my first flight on ANYTHING that wasnt co-axial.. soft landed it after a hover, but in a bush )

I will most likely be ordering one of these from you in the near future, but might try to make one myself first.. only cause your gone till next month and this months RC budget is already used..
Paladine is offline Find More Posts by Paladine
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:19 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladine View Post
Well, I hope you have a nice time on vacation

I just got a v120d02s myself this weekend, and stripped the gears on my maiden flight (which was pretty decent considering it was my first flight on ANYTHING that wasnt co-axial.. soft landed it after a hover, but in a bush )

I will most likely be ordering one of these from you in the near future, but might try to make one myself first.. only cause your gone till next month and this months RC budget is already used..
Well if you can't pop for less then 20 bucks to save 100's of dollars in gear's and time replacing them.. You might be in the wrong hobby..

Many have tried and few have managed to make a slipper clutch that works as good as mine does...

You have 24 hours to change your mind and get one in the mail to you before I leave... hint hint....
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Well, part of it is paypal holding my funds from what I sold, so i gotta wait till that clears, not the actual SUPER AWESOME PRICE of 18 bucks .

Its also the fun of building one myself with the plethora of spare parts in my buddy's garage :P

Might just buy yours as a back up anyway, knowing it will work and to support the cause!
Paladine is offline Find More Posts by Paladine
Last edited by Paladine; Jul 23, 2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: cause i wanted to add stuff
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:03 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladine View Post
Well, part of it is paypal holding my funds from what I sold, so i gotta wait till that clears, not the actual SUPER AWESOME PRICE of 18 bucks .

Its also the fun of building one myself with the plethora of spare parts in my buddy's garage :P

Might just buy yours as a back up anyway, knowing it will work and to support the cause!

The cause does need supporting..
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined Jun 2011
572 Posts
waiting.....can't wait to see it.....waiting......man...i've been reading this thread from page 1 to 11 and i'm getting so excited. I wish it would be in the mail when I get home today! Can't wait to put it on.....chuck the rest of the 20 packs of spare cone gears into the bin.....n crash as many times as i wish (or do not wish.... =P)........
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:29 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
waiting.....can't wait to see it.....waiting......man...i've been reading this thread from page 1 to 11 and i'm getting so excited. I wish it would be in the mail when I get home today! Can't wait to put it on.....chuck the rest of the 20 packs of spare cone gears into the bin.....n crash as many times as i wish (or do not wish.... =P)........
Good things come to those that wait.. But even with the wait the slipper clutch will only protect the tail NOT the whole heli..
Last edited by livonia bob; Jul 26, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Jun 2005
155 Posts
Quote:
I ordered mine as my heli was in transit. I have yet to put it on and I've crashed a number of times already.

I figure that I need to strip the inside gear anyway, so I'm hoping that'll be the weak link.

I think a quick throttle-hold finger has a lot to do with not breaking anything in a crash!
indiggio is offline Find More Posts by indiggio
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:56 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiggio View Post
I ordered mine as my heli was in transit. I have yet to put it on and I've crashed a number of times already.

I figure that I need to strip the inside gear anyway, so I'm hoping that'll be the weak link.

I think a quick throttle-hold finger has a lot to do with not breaking anything in a crash!

You need to strip the "C" gear not the inside "A" gear which is the one that most strip out as it's the hardest one to replace..

While a quick TH finger will save lots of other damage,, it does little for saving the tail drive as the main blades do keep turning for a bit, so stopping the tail while the main blades are stil spinning down can and will strip the tail drive some times.. As well just landing/taking off from grass, or my favorite way of backing the tail into my pants leg while hovering close in and low..
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:26 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
So here is a story for the books. I installed a turbo ace 215 motor (15,500kv). This this is serious. The best motor i have used for this class. It smokes the extreme spin 16,300 motor while using the stock pinion. Also i want to mention i have hundreds of flights on this helicopter and on the slipper clutch itself since i received it a few months ago now. Probably near or over 300 flights.

Ok that said. While flying today I lost my tail suddenly mid flight and crashed! Oh NO! Walking up closer and looking at the tail it looked bent and the wind was blowing the tail rotor like a pin wheel! I turned the main rotor and all the gearing was functioning perfectly, including the exterior left side locking collar!! Apparently the slipper clutch after many flights and many, many, many crashes has weakened enough that the torque broke it at the key mark or somewhere near the right side bearing. Very interesting. Moral of the story. Check the clutch shaft for damage and wear every now and then. Now i have to get a new one! lol.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
ace 215 motor

>I installed a turbo ace 215 motor (15,500kv)

Hi - Did you make any other changes ie to the electronics or the frame with this, or did the motor drop right in? Thanks.

I.R.
Rhodesian is offline Find More Posts by Rhodesian
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:07 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodesian View Post
>I installed a turbo ace 215 motor (15,500kv)

Hi - Did you make any other changes ie to the electronics or the frame with this, or did the motor drop right in? Thanks.

I.R.
Motor does just drop right in. However you need to be able to pull and press your own motor pinions. The stock D02S pinion is more than enough, you just need to be able to switch it from your stock motor to the 215.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:07 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
So after disassembling the tail and installing the stock tail gearing. This is what i have found and my evaluation of the slipper clutch after 300+ flights and countless crashes.

1. The slipper clutch is actually a harder composition than the "C" gear. After many flights the "C" gear is what has received all of the wear! Bravo to Bob for finding a very suitable material for this application on the clutch. (see pictures)

2. The slipper clutch itself is very durable. I don't think the clutch should ever need to be replaced. Though on one instance where i had it too tight the clutch did become soft and no longer held tightly. Over tightening the clutch is not needed and bad juju. After removing the clutch and leaving it in my parts box it did seem to return to it's original density and hardness.

3. The key mark bob had placed on the tail rotor shaft, in my opinion, does not weaken the shaft at all. I never had an instance where i bent the shaft in a crash. It is in fact the place where my shaft snapped and broke mid flight. However it is my opinion that the key mark is not the sole reason for the shaft breaking. Impacts from crashing and general wear from having torque applied over time has probably weakened the section that broke.

Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Jun 2011
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Motor does just drop right in. However you need to be able to pull and press your own motor pinions. The stock D02S pinion is more than enough, you just need to be able to switch it from your stock motor to the 215.
hi,

where did u get the motor from? any website that you can recommend? Thannkkkk youooouuu!! =)
eugenechong is offline Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:25 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,321 Posts
Quote:
hi,

where did u get the motor from? any website that you can recommend? Thannkkkk youooouuu!! =)
Wowhobbies is the only place i know of that sells them:

https://02b5baf.netsolstores.com/tur...nstalle-5.aspx

But the pinion gear that comes installed on it will not work with the D02S. If you have a pinion puller and a vise you can swap the one on your stock motor though.