HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Discussion
Slipper clutch for Walkera 4#6, 4G6, V120 size shaft driven tails

As some of you are now receiving them in the mail.. It's time to open a thread and post the instructions. And have a place for discussion on the V2 adjustable slipper clutch.

They cost $14.00 each plus $5.00 S&H in USA this is with Delivery Confirmation as I'm getting burned by the USPS with them losing them or taking two weeks to go 800 miles.., all others $5.00 S&H FIRST CLASS INTERNATIONAL PARCEL both are allowed up to three per package weight wise. If you wish to order more,, If you are far away getting a spare now might be a good idea as there is always the chance that you will still bend the tail shaft in a bad crash..

A kit is a new tail shaft with a new notch for the collar's set screw, the new adjustment collar with set screw installed, a Allen wrench for the set screw, two cut to proper length for your heli tubing one is a spare, one spare screw for the outer collar. That's it no,, no instructions, read them below, no paper work just a plastic bag with these parts in it. Shipped in a plain brown padded envelope so no one will have a clue just what you ordered.

Payment is via PayPal invoice that I'll send to you after you tell me your PayPal email address...If you wish to order one you can use this email address making sure you tell me what model heli you want it for and how many.. .[/COLOR].Make sure you include your PayPal email address. I will ship it to your PayPal address as shown on your PayPal account.. Unless told other wise.. .

slipperclutch@mi.rr.com

UPDATE:
To place a order just email slipperclutch@mi.rr.com and tell me what model heli, how many you want to order, and where you live.. Cost is $14.00 ea. plus $5.00 S&H in the USA and $8.00 out of USA per order. Shipping is via USPS First Class..

Please go here for the most up to date instructions
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=260088
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Last edited by livonia bob; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:22 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Slipper clutch instructions

Livonia Bob's slipper clutch for V120D02S and other'sSlipper clutch instructions

Before we start lets make it clear what the tail gears are called.. The "A" gear is the one that is driven by the main gear and it's under the metal cover under the main gear.. Unless you have already stripped this gear there is no reason to go in there.. The "B" gear in on the tail's drive shaft that's inside the tail boom again unless you have messed this up there is no reason to touch it.. The "C" gear is the one on the Tail Rotor shaft and this is the only one you need to be worried about.. And this one "C" you have to strip out the "D" hole that the shaft fits into to make it a "O" hole so it slips on the tail rotor shaft when you rotate it..

UPDATE.. Some of the newer V120D02S and replacement gear sets are using a new "B" gear that is a little thicker and the teeth may be kissing the tube. If you run into this you just have to file off a little from the back of the "B" gear so that it sits closer to the bearing on the boom.

OK lets start..

1. Remove the tail rotor blades, and the hubs using one of the Allen wrenches that were in the D02S parts bag or a OOO size Philips screw driver to removed the hub screws depending on what Walkera used on your's.. You can then pull the hubs off the tail shaft, no need to take the arms off the slider.. Now take the steering arm off the slider,, Holding the heli so it’s hanging nose down with your left thumb nail pull up on the arm to get it off the ball as this happens with your other hand's forefinger slide/pull/rotate the pin out of the fork..

2. Now take off the collar on the left side of the shaft and pull the shaft out of the tail holder... Taking the “C” gear that was on the tail shaft and sticking the shaft back in it a hair and start twisting and working the shaft into the gear stripping out the “D” hole. PLEASE do NOT try and use a drill to do this as this will make the hole off center.. Just take your time and keep working at it till you get the shaft all the way through the gear and it will turn freely doesn't have to be loose just needs to be able to rotate freely..
3. OK lets install the new shaft. I now ship the collar on the new shaft so using the supplied Allen wrench remove it from the shaft, DO NOT REMOVE THE SET SCREW FROM THE COLLAR YOU WILL LOSE IT just back it out till it will slip off the shaft, you will notice that there are now two flats on the shaft and they are on the same side of the shaft remember this for later. Slip the slider on the shaft making sure it's on the right way,, stick the shaft through the right side bearing, install the collar that came in your kit small end goes on first towards the bearing, slip one of the pieces of fuel line on the shaft. There will be two short cut to correct size for your heli, use one the other is a spare, also I have sent you a spare screw for the old left hand collar in-case you messed it up..

4. Take your original shaft and stick it through the left side bearing and place the “C” gear on it.. but not so far as to have it sticking out of the gear you want the end to be inside the gear..

5. Now comes the hard part,, you need to work the new shaft with the tubing on it into place on the “C” gear and line up the two shafts and work the new shaft into the “C” gear as you are pulling out the old shaft while pushing the new shaft through the "C" gear and then the bearing.. This will fit you just have to work at it,, maybe poking/working it on with a little screw driver, toothpick etc to get the tubing seated in the "C" gear correctly..

6. Now that you have finally managed to get the new shaft installed,, Lets adjust it,, the new locking collar is on the shaft but the set screw is loose still,, I want you to take the old collar and stick it on the left end of the shaft to check the shaft's location remember the smaller end goes against the bearing the screw lines up with the flat,, You want the shaft to be just short of sticking out of the collar or even with the end... Now tighten it's screw, now push the shaft to the right so that the left collar is against the left bearing.. Now take the 0.028 Allen wrench in the kit and while slidding the right collar towards the right bearing tighten the new collar's set screw making sure that it's on the flat on the shaft,, make it tight but remember is is a very short thread in soft aluminum, PLEASE DON'T OVER TIGHTEN AS YOU CAN ACTUALLY MAKE THE COLLAR GO OUT OF ROUND AND IT WILL KISS THE "B" GEAR, a little thread locker might be a good idea just a little bit please.. I haven't used any.. yet... You will not be moving this collar again unless you have to replace the shaft or other parts.. 

One last thing to finish up the installation, you might find that the set screw is kissing the "B" gear you will need to round off the set screw to match the curve of the collar so that it no longer kisses the "B" gear as it passes by.. I can't do this for you as I have no way of knowing for sure where the set screw is going to end up.. The best way is to go grab a emery board or little file or your Dremel tool and round it off.. There isn't much metal there and should only take a second or two to have it finished so that it passes by the "B" gear without kissing it.. You can once it will turn pass the "B" gear without jamming/stopping just run the heli and it will quickly mod the "B" gear for the clearance it needs..

7. Now for the adjustment. Please do it this way. ,, loosen the older outer left side collar's screw,, with your thumb on the tail rotor hub, the end your fore finger on the older left side collar's end of the shaft squeeze them together pushing it into the tail holder a little bit, and slide the older collar up against the bearing again. And tighten the screw. 

8. Now check how much friction you have to set it by rotating the tail hub while holding the main blades from turning or holding the "C" gear from turning. Depending on how hard you fly the heli, if just flying around crashing a lot or flying off grass then you want it to slip easier,, and if your doing hard 3D you will want more friction.. So you squeeze a little harder.. Remembering that you only want as much as you need for your style of flying. 

9. You can now re-install the rotor hubs and blades, recheck your travel and adjust the rudder throw.. Using the normal setting it up first in RATE mode for a hands off hover by adjusting the servo placement on the boom or adjusting the link. Once you have that set go back to your HH settings if that's where you normally fly with..

The slipper clutch will work best if you make sure that the main shaft collar is tight down on the top bearing, that the boom is all the way into the frame and locked there and that the drive shaft "D"'s and "A" and "B" gears are in good shape... 

Be careful not to over oil the bearing as you can NOT get any oil on the clutch.

I hope you enjoy no more stripped gears.... or at least not as may of them... Any problems please email slipperclutch@mi.rr.com or PM me..

To place a order just email slipperclutch@mi.rr.com and tell me what model heli, how many you want to order, and where you live.. Cost is $14.00 ea. plus $5.00 S&H in the USA and $8.00 out per order. Shipping is via USPS First Class..
Attached Thumbnails

141.9 KB · Views: 630

NOTE this last picture is not correct,, you push the new collar towards the right bearing and lock it in place and never move it again. Now loosen the left collar. Then using your thumb on the hub and forefinger on the left collar squeeze the hub towards
121.7 KB · Views: 684

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...lipper%201.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1328907532
Last edited by livonia bob; Feb 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
saved

Some pictures of what it should look like..
Last edited by livonia bob; Jan 19, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:40 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
saved

Do you need one of these? Here is a little test you can do to see for yourself...

Do you need the slipper clutch DIY test to see. Don't do this at home. (2 min 7 sec)
Last edited by livonia bob; Jan 26, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
slipper clutch

I installed mine and they work perfect. Mike
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:09 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrvs1 View Post
I installed mine and they work perfect. Mike
Great,,, Drop over to the V120D02S thread and drum up some business for me..
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:25 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,261 Posts
Hey, I just receive your slipper clutch, kind of hard to follow your instructions. How about simple diagram? Not same setup as your slippery clutch for v120s?
Your v120d02s clutch comes with three durso tubing. one long and two smaller ones.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:47 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Hey, I just receive your slipper clutch, kind of hard to follow your instructions. How about simple diagram? Not same setup as your slippery clutch for v120s?
Your v120d02s clutch comes with three durso tubing. one long and two smaller ones.
I think if you just follow the instructions step by step as you are doing it you will find that it all makes sense.. But what are you having trouble with??

There are three pieces of tubing in the kit the two smaller ones are both the same and cut to the correct size for your heli. I put two in the kit in case you happen to mess up one trying to install it.. And if you mess up the second one you have to cut your own from the longer piece.. This is your punishment for messing up the two I gave you..
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
Canada, ON, Ajax
Joined Jul 2011
352 Posts
Hi Bob, will this clutch work on the M120D01?

Dave
Birdman4498 is offline Find More Posts by Birdman4498
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:05 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman4498 View Post
Hi Bob, will this clutch work on the M120D01?

Dave
If you order the V120D0-1 & 2 - M120D01 one it will.. As I have to cut the tubing to a different size to allow for the thinner "C" gear.. Other than that it's the same..
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:23 PM
TabukToné
Felthorpe, Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Joined Feb 2003
199 Posts
Hi Bob,
Thank you for my 2 clutches.
Installed one into my V120D02S and I needed to do a little adjustment on the "B" gear teeth and supplied collar so as to get it to run without catching.
The heli flies fine, as it should.
For those who gets your A,B,C's mixed up:-
"A" gear is the one that meshes with the main gear.
"B" gear is the output gear at the tail end of the boom shaft.
"C" gear is the one at 90 degrees & connecting to the tail blades.
Hope this helps.

Tone
TabukToné is online now Find More Posts by TabukToné
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:34 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabukToné View Post
Hi Bob,
Thank you for my 2 clutches.
Installed one into my V120D02S and I needed to do a little adjustment on the "B" gear teeth and supplied collar so as to get it to run without catching.
The heli flies fine, as it should.
For those who gets your A,B,C's mixed up:-
"A" gear is the one that meshes with the main gear.
"B" gear is the output gear at the tail end of the boom shaft.
"C" gear is the one at 90 degrees & connecting to the tail blades.
Hope this helps.

Tone
I'm making up another batch today.. And I'll be checking for the problem you had.. As your's was from the very first batch it might of been corrected already.. So far no one from the second or third batches have reported the problem.. But then maybe they haven't gotten them yet??
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:43 AM
Spring Hill, TN
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
Can you make a video of the installation? I am excited about getting your product.

Thanks,

John
Manny5150 is offline Find More Posts by Manny5150
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
947 Posts
[QUOTE=livonia bob;20476138]Slipper clutch instructions

1. Remove the tail rotor blades, and the hubs using one of the Allen wrenches that were in the D02S parts bag to removed the hub screws.. You can then pull the hubs off the tail shaft, no need to take the arms off the slider.. Now take the steering arm off the slider,, Holding the heli so it’s hanging nose down with your left thumb nail pull up on the arm to get it off the ball as this happens with your other hand forefinger slide/pull/rotate the pin out of the fork..
QUOTE]

Do the first step very carefully. I have V120D01 which has exactly the same tail assembly as D02S. Couple days ago, tried to disassemble the tail...broke that tiny ball.....and you know the rest of the story.
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:07 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
[QUOTE=GTstrudl;20514976]
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Slipper clutch instructions

1. Remove the tail rotor blades, and the hubs using one of the Allen wrenches that were in the D02S parts bag to removed the hub screws.. You can then pull the hubs off the tail shaft, no need to take the arms off the slider.. Now take the steering arm off the slider,, Holding the heli so it’s hanging nose down with your left thumb nail pull up on the arm to get it off the ball as this happens with your other hand forefinger slide/pull/rotate the pin out of the fork..
QUOTE]

Do the first step very carefully. I have V120D01 which has exactly the same tail assembly as D02S. Couple days ago, tried to disassemble the tail...broke that tiny ball.....and you know the rest of the story.
Were you doing it this way?? So far I have always been lucky and haven't broken any..