SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:43 PM
United States, VT, Warren
Joined Apr 2011
218 Posts
Discussion
Need some advice regarding the Dynam T-28! Please Help!

Hello fellow fliers... I just want to thank you guys for being such a help here on these forums. The advice and information you guys put out is 2nd to none! Here is my situation... I am going to be making the Dynam t-28 my second plane. I don't have a rx or a tx, and was planning on buying the RTF version. I don't have a ton of money to invest into the hobby at the moment but am a bit weary of the stock electronics that come with the model. In the next few months i plan on buying a dx6i. To use the dynam with this i would need a spektrum reciever right? Any recommendations on what one? What about the esc? Does the transmitter just communicate with the reciever which then talks to the esc? I have a lot to learn about the hobby, and i plan on doing it with this plane. It is taking on a lot but i can't afford to progress through 3-4 planes. Is there something out there more reasonably priced than the dx6i that is comparable? Maybe a Tactic radio? I also here people saying that the stock servo's are sometimes junk. If thats the case how hard is it to redo the servo's in a plane like this? I basically want to invest 3-350.00 initially instead of spending much more over time to properly progress. I have good orientation skills and remain very calm while flying. I know how to use small inputs etc.... so i don't think im just gonna crash the hell out of this thing. Also is there a tx/flightsim combo where i can actually use the Tx for real flying? Thank you so much for any help in advance!!!

-Isaac
aviator4934 is offline Find More Posts by aviator4934
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator4934 View Post
Hello fellow fliers... I just want to thank you guys for being such a help here on these forums. The advice and information you guys put out is 2nd to none! Here is my situation... I am going to be making the Dynam t-28 my second plane. I don't have a rx or a tx, and was planning on buying the RTF version. I don't have a ton of money to invest into the hobby at the moment but am a bit weary of the stock electronics that come with the model. In the next few months i plan on buying a dx6i. To use the dynam with this i would need a spektrum reciever right? Any recommendations on what one? What about the esc? Does the transmitter just communicate with the reciever which then talks to the esc? I have a lot to learn about the hobby, and i plan on doing it with this plane. It is taking on a lot but i can't afford to progress through 3-4 planes. Is there something out there more reasonably priced than the dx6i that is comparable? Maybe a Tactic radio? I also here people saying that the stock servo's are sometimes junk. If thats the case how hard is it to redo the servo's in a plane like this? I basically want to invest 3-350.00 initially instead of spending much more over time to properly progress. I have good orientation skills and remain very calm while flying. I know how to use small inputs etc.... so i don't think im just gonna crash the hell out of this thing. Also is there a tx/flightsim combo where i can actually use the Tx for real flying? Thank you so much for any help in advance!!!

-Isaac
Most of the various radio brands of 2.4ghz systems require that you use their Tx/Rx combinations. You cannot mix brands.

The Spektrum DX6i is a very popular transmitter. And yes you would need a spektrum Rx. There are several and I think you would need to be sure it is DSMX compatible.

There are cheaper radio systems. I cannot comment on their value. But I prefer to purchase systems on reputation and availability of service.

ESC's are not brand dependent. You can use any brand with the Spektrum system. The ESC connects to the primary battery, the motor, and the Rx.
When the battery is connected to the ESC, the ESC performs three functions. The BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit) reduces the primary battery voltage to 5 volts (or 6 volts on some systems) and supplies that voltage to the RX via the throttle channel. The LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) senses the the voltage of the primary battery and when it reaches a preset value (some ESC's have a programmable value) of 3.0 volts per cell (for LiPo's) it reduces or shuts off the power to the motor. This insures that there is power remaining in the primary battery to power the Rx and servos. The signal wire in the ESC to throttle channel provides the signal to control motor speed.

Servos are not generally brand specific with respect to radio systems. Ease of replacing a servo is aircraft dependent. Some are very easy and others require major surgery. I expect the Dynam T-28 is among the previous.

There are several sims available which will allow you use you transmitter. I believe Nitroplanes has a couple of inexpensive sims.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/
There are some free ones online too. GOOGLE for something.

You haven't mentioned a battery charger. If you don't have one look for one that provides at least:
Pack voltage, individual cell voltage, charging current, and milliamps returned to the pack while charging. Progressive has a good assortment of chargers.
http://www.progressiverc.com/
I know you have a limited budget but when it comes to chargers I recommend you get the biggest charger you can possible afford. You need one that will grow with you.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Oct 2011
111 Posts
Phoenix will let you use your own transmitter. I've been very happy with the plane physics and selection. $129, but worth it. I've saved at least $500 already by not crashing my big extra because of the sim training.
rcninja is offline Find More Posts by rcninja
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,297 Posts
Hello

If you are already planning to replace all the electronics in the plane, why get the RTF? Just get the kit.

I've bought 4 planes from Nitroplanes and all of them came with electronics that work just fine. None of the ESCs have caught on fire. None of the servos have stripped out mid-flight. I bought a Dynam motor and several Dynam ESCs to use in other non-Dynam planes I've built. I also have some ExceedRC Rocket motors that I like a lot.

I get the ARFs and use my own transmitter and receivers. The RTF transmitter you get with any RTF is going to be minimalistic. Of all the electronics in the Dynam/Exceed/Airfield planes, the bundled transmitter is the one to replace.

You don't have to use Spektrum receivers with a Spektrum or JR transmitter. You can also use cheaper "DSM compatible" receivers from places like Target Hobby, oomodel, and Hobby King. These receivers are DSM2, not DSMX. That is ok because the current line of Spektrum/JR TXs use either method to communicate with the receiver. I have a DX6i and use it with my sims too.

SB
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:07 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,387 Posts
Also check out the classified ads, with folks jumping to 7/8/9 channel Spektrum transmitters you can pick up the DX6i cheap.

Like said the Hobby King receivers for Spektrum have done me well with my 6i on my park flyers.

And yeah stuff does break, but it's all part of the learning curve of flying. Learning to replace/repair is just one of em.

Biggest tip, ask first if you don't know. We've all been there. And you'll find places like here have a ton of folks who are more then willing to help you.

Most of us are of the same vein, there is no such thing as a "stupid" question.
Stupid is doing something without the knowledge and then asking why.

Good luck to you!!!
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl