HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Jul 2008
93 Posts
Help!
HobbyKing 150A 4 cell lipo problem

Hi guys.

Get today problem. Instealled on Summit Motor trackStar 4068 and ESC HobbyKing 150A. Today 2nd run. Connect 2 Lipo 2S 5000 mAh = 4S. Have snow about 3 inches. Fast run with max speed. After 1-2 min, car run so slow looks like not 4 cell and 1 cell lipo. After I turn off / on switcher, summit again run fast for 1-2 min. I try another 2 packs of fresh charged LiPo but same result. Than I try drive on with only one 2 cell battery and speed so good without problems. So what can happened and how to fix that.

Thanks all!
messir is offline Find More Posts by messir
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:40 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,907 Posts
What kv is the motor? Did you change the gearing when doubling the voltage? How hot is the motor or ESC getting on 4s?

It sounds like you're overloading something by doubling the voltage with no other changes.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Jul 2008
93 Posts
2560 kv. Gearing is default 14/68. As weather -7 celcium so motor and ESC cold.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:17 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,907 Posts
Did you actually check the motor and ESC temps when it slowed down, like right away? You might be surprised how hot they can get even in cold temps.

You're either overheating something, or hitting the LVC under load.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:25 AM
Joined Jul 2008
93 Posts
Hard image that I overheat in one minute ESC or motor at winter with really cold weather. Also my summit all stock so right configuration from factory. Couple days before I run with more warm weather and all work perfect.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:40 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,907 Posts
Did you run it on 4s in warmer weather? Did you keep the stock gearing from the brushed motors when putting in the brushless? I would imagine that the stock motor is a much lower kv?

Until you actually check the motor and ESC temp, I have a hard time believing the ESC isn't overheating.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:46 AM
True Modder.
Joined Jun 2011
91 Posts
Had the same problem once..... Check if esc lipo setting and low voltage cut out is correct. Also check all connectors again and again. I think wparsons might be right also. 36864rpms is not that high on 4s, but check gearing.
sledge21 is offline Find More Posts by sledge21
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:25 AM
United States, VA, Bedford
Joined Oct 2011
178 Posts
Have you done anything to protect the LiPos and ESC from the snow and water?

Neither one like water at all. If the ESC got any water in it, you could have fried the electronics.
LaTuFu is offline Find More Posts by LaTuFu
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:02 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,907 Posts
^^ He said it worked fine on 2s afterwards, so I don't think he fried anything.

LiPo's are fine getting wet, I know a few boaters that have sunk boats and recovered packs days later that were in perfect shape still.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:11 AM
United States, VA, Bedford
Joined Oct 2011
178 Posts
As long as the battery pack integrity remains intact, yes. If water gets into a pack and into a cell, no.

But reading the OP's post again, I am wondering if there is a cell out of balance in the packs, and that is what is causing it to hit LVC 1-2 minutes in.
LaTuFu is offline Find More Posts by LaTuFu
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:54 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
As long as the battery pack integrity remains intact, yes. If water gets into a pack and into a cell, no.

But reading the OP's post again, I am wondering if there is a cell out of balance in the packs, and that is what is causing it to hit LVC 1-2 minutes in.
I think it is just temperature. Lipos do not like cold. Take a look at this plot I did showing how the IR of a lipo varies with temperature. Going from 25degC down to 7degC will likely double the IR so that the output voltage drops so far that the the Esc goes into LV mode. Try it with a thoroughly warmed pack at 25degC.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...ttach&u=140524

Wayne
Wayne Giles is offline Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Last edited by Wayne Giles; Feb 06, 2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Forgot Link!
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:28 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,907 Posts
^^ That's very possible too, I wasn't thinking about how cold the packs would be.

The current draw would be way lower on 2s so they're probably ok at that load in the cold.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:30 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
What do you mean by pack integrity? The shrink wrap is far from water proof, the bare cells would definitely have gotten wet if the pack is submerged, but it'll still work. The only issue would be if the cell itself was punctured, but that's a huge problem on its own.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:25 PM
Harry from Atlanta, Ga.
Buford, Georgia
Joined Sep 2006
145 Posts
I have a 1/5 scale crawler, when the lipo gets cold, when it is snowing It hits the LVC a lot.
Lipos really like to be 100+ degrees F.
They do not work well cold and really hate freezing tempatures.
The cold causes the voltages to drop to excessively low levels.

Harry
Old Sloppy is offline Find More Posts by Old Sloppy