You have it right Graham.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:03 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
All you are doing is using the tape to cover some portion of the piece used to adhere it to the wing just like the cassette tape would.

If you stick the tape sticky side facing each other leave about 25% or more of each tape free. this section is used to stick it to the wing. Now you'll have about 75% or so of tape overlapping each other. Cut it in half lengthwise right up the middle and you have two pieces that will resemble the tape with cassette tape - a portion with sticky side exposed and a section not. If you need it wider, just cut off one of the exposed sticky sides. and discard it.

If yo have cassettes to burn, then why not. I just prefer the tape since it remains clear. Not sure I like the brown tape on my wings. Looks a little ugly.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:38 PM
Graham Kirkland
Port Alfred South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
353 Posts
Ah!!! that makes sense now. Didn't get it the first time round. I must be having slow day.
graham1234 is online now Find More Posts by graham1234
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Feb 2008
47 Posts
Instead of using cassette-tape or double-tape-and-cut, I usually apply the clear tape and put microballoons (or just flour) on the tape glue where I don't want it to stick. Vacuum away the excess powder, and thats it.
So far, it works =)
2Can is offline Find More Posts by 2Can
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:59 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,715 Posts
Graham,

How is the plane coming along?

I apologize that I haven't had the time to determine turbulator location. My bad. But it might well be that the turbulator is only really useful out towards the tips (near 30K foil and further out). Otherwise the location required may end up being too far forward when a simple turbulator is used, resulting in an increase in drag as indicated by Benjamin.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Last edited by G_T; Feb 09, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:40 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Can View Post
Instead of using cassette-tape or double-tape-and-cut, I usually apply the clear tape and put microballoons (or just flour) on the tape glue where I don't want it to stick. Vacuum away the excess powder, and thats it.
So far, it works =)

hi,

i have heard one case such a aileron cover glued the ailerons stuck once it started raining!! (talk powder got sticky)
the guy was preparing for his round when he noticed the ailerons didn't wen't down, he immediatly pulled of the gap seal and started flying his task.

watch out!
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:43 AM
Graham Kirkland
Port Alfred South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
Graham,

How is the plane coming along?

I apologize that I haven't had the time to determine turbulator location. My bad. But it might well be that the turbulator is only really useful out towards the tips (near 30K foil and further out). Otherwise the location required may end up being too far forward when a simple turbulator is used, resulting in an increase in drag as indicated by Benjamin.

Gerald
I was side-tracked by a couple of Zone Ver2 wings that had to be made for a client so building was help up for a while. I am back on it now and hope to have it flying during the course of next week. Initially, I need some time just to get the setup and trim right, after which I can start trying it with the turbulator strips.

I will post initial flight impressions as soon as I have it in the air.

Graham
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:03 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,437 Posts
That is one nice looking plane, top notch build quality!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:30 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2005
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Can View Post
So far, it works =)
Microballons works just fine but not flour. It reacts with humidity and make the tape look like a rollercoaster track.
Been there done...

/Mattias
Oystmyr is offline Find More Posts by Oystmyr
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:39 AM
Graham Kirkland
Port Alfred South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
That is one nice looking plane, top notch build quality!
Thanks. I will post some more detailed pics when the build is complete. Hope it flies as good as I hope it will look.

Graham
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:11 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,715 Posts
I ran some numbers for the wing in cruise mode, unturbulated, for a comparison. I also ran some numbers with just the tip region turbulated, as a number of people have done.

As usual, drag of turbulation not included.

Included for comparison is the Zone-V2 moldie reference design in cruise. Unturbulated, the forgiving wing does not give up a whole lot to the Zone-V2. At this one camber setting, it appears close enough that some actual flight testing would be warranted.

Gerald
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:55 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,890 Posts
Sorry for the newbie question, but are Cl/Cd values based on the whole DLG or just the wing?

TIA,

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:52 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,715 Posts
Just the wing, and no extra drag assumed for turbulators if present. Drag for the whole plane depends on lots of additional things... When comparing wings it is easier to just stick with wing numbers. The values are for comparison purposes only.

Gerald
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:12 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
Just the wing, and no extra drag assumed for turbulators if present. Drag for the whole plane depends on lots of additional things... When comparing wings it is easier to just stick with wing numbers. The values are for comparison purposes only.
All understood. Thanks for the confirmation.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:33 AM
Graham Kirkland
Port Alfred South Africa
Joined Jun 2009
353 Posts
Well the wing had its maiden flight today. This was a full scratch build as I did not have a spare fuse to put the wing onto so it took a while. I wanted to keep the Zone Ver2 plane intact so that I could do comparison flights. It is cloudy and dark outside today so I will take some pics tomorrow.

It was not ideal weather for test flying on the beach where I live with a wind of about 10 to 15mph and a good bit of turbulence. However, I get very impatient with a new plane so I took it down to the beach and dialed in the initial settings while sloping a little 1m high dune.

This is not a good way to get an idea of how A DLG is going to fly as it is not its intended purpose. However, initial impression is that the handling is good. I did not have the Zone Ver2 plane with me so could not compare the penetration, but so far it seems pretty good.

I did a few light duty launches and was favourably impressed, although, launching into a good breeze is also not a good way to judge how the plane will launch in still air. Virtually anything will go high if the wind gradient is favourable.

Tomorrow morning is looking good so I will have a better idea of how it flies after tomorrows testing.

This is all without turbulators at this stage.

Gerald, what would you suggest as a test procedure once I am ready to put turbulators on the wings ?

Graham
RCG Plus Member