HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:51 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,722 Posts
I guess this weekend, time permitting, I'll see if I can gen up and test some -151 versions of the foils.

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:41 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Thanks GT, looking forward for them, a second Synsegy wing is on my list

EZ
Edwinzea is online now Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Mar 20, 2013, 01:46 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Hello G_T

The winter gave me a break last weekend and I finally maiden the Synergy wing (116g). Total plane weight 256g. The wings were laminated with Kevlar 1oz. The fuse and horizontal stab are from the supergee (I have a mold ) and the vertical is a development of a friend of mine.

Overall the maiden was uneventful I was epecting some sort of structiral faliure (long story) but the plane handles quiet well. As it was mentioned before it climbs quiet good, I improved my launches in 10m now reaching up to 40m not very high but I had never launched something that high. After couple of dive tests it was clear that the plane was still a bit nose heavy.

On flight the plane is a pleasure to fly, the cuirisng mode is really good and can be one can thermal on it. On speed the planes moves very fast and penetrates in the wind without problem. The thermal mode still needs some twiching but is not big deal for the moment.

On highlight I noticed that the wing is very forgiving, I think it has the softest stall characteristics I had ever seen on a plane. It just dives the nose down not even 30cms and goes on. It also turns the thermals like the iner tip is nailed on the centre of the thermal quiet a nice an useful trick on small bubbles

again thanks a lot for sharing your designs and airfoils

regards

EZ

I am planning on building a second wing but using CF UD of 50g/sqm on the D-box and a layer of 25g glass on bias. I think a bit more weight on the wing wont hurt the performance.

Again than
Old Mar 20, 2013, 04:36 PM
Canada
Joined Jun 2009
434 Posts
Hi EZ,

Your flight report is encouraging me to give it a try too. Is yours a two panel hot wire cut core? I am working on a SGII style pod and boom fuselage as well, I am curious to hear a little more about how you went about the pylon/wing mount please. Any pictures showing a little more?

Hope mine turns out as nice.

Paul
Paul Harvey is offline Find More Posts by Paul Harvey
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:50 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Hey Paul, you should definitely give it a try. THe original idea was to have it 4 panels CNC cut. BUt I was having trouble cutting the tip. SO at the end it end up being a 3 panel. So I suppose I am missing a lot of performance from the original wing tip.

THe mount is quiet simple, I am attaching some pics. I used two spidernuts, trimmed to match the boom. I first made the holes on the wings and passed through the bolts to hold the nuts in place. then with everything together I glued the nuts to the boom making sure of alignment. Once the nuts were dried I removed the wing and wrapped CF tow around the base of the nuts to secure them to the boom, I added a CF tub Ca. 8mm in diameter 3mm wall thickness which are the actual pylons. I am using M4 bolts which give the stability necessary. Finally I made a small piece to cover the pylons, I think is more esthetic than structural.

I will be building one of this in a couple of week, I hope I will not forget to take some pics of the process.

Regards

EZ
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:45 AM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,166 Posts
See mine here. Same airfoils, higher aspect. 4 panel. Don't be afraid of the 4 panel. I used templates from Juzwuz and cut the outer three panels by hand only since they are so small. Plan on burning a little foam to practice. I mic'd the foam after cutting and it was within .001 for the panels I kept. The inner panel was cut with a drop bow since it was a little bigger.

See the Japanese threads I referenced for some really nice examples of pylon mount. Google chrome to translate.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1853766
G Norsworthy is online now Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:59 PM
Canada
Joined Jun 2009
434 Posts
Hi EZ and Greg,

Thanks for insights guys, that helps a lot.

I am a little camera shy with my work right now until I have had a chance to let some local club members look things over and flight test and provide feed back to try and end-up with something that they like, being better pilots and having been exposed to more in the modeling world than I, otherwise I would share some of my building too. I have to travel an hour to fly legally and the field is only open for half the year not to mention conditions and life all lining up to make flying even possible. So any one watching would be eating a lot of popcorn while waiting.

I hope to end up with something that fly's well in the hands of the new DLG pilot, can place in the middle of the pack, hold up to most of the rigors encountered, modest in terms of cost to build and own (dream sequence) and satisfy the owner enough but perhaps still wanting more if they end-up wanting to reach for the top. So nothing ground breaking, just try and make the best use of proven materials and techniques. If I ever end up with a plane that begins to meet my goals I may try and make it available to a few that show an interest regionally perhaps.

Paul
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:02 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Paul, from my experience better do not do the cost. If you honestly calculate, the cost of materials, tools, electricity and man hours a homemade plane cost more or less the same as on of those nice moldie DLGs. Of course the pride you fell when your own model flys, well it is priceless

MY two cents

EZ
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:29 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,166 Posts
I agree with Edwin. The only reason I build from scratch is if I can't get what I want on the open market. Otherwise it is not worth the time investment.
G Norsworthy is online now Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:52 PM
Canada
Joined Jun 2009
434 Posts
Guys, I agree with what you have added and would second that but for someone who likes to build, like me, it can be a different story as you have noted, so that is what keeps me involved in my little project. Thanks' for trying to help keep it real.

Sorry if I helped to trend the discussion away from the original thread topic.

Soar On ,

Paul
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:41 PM
Gavle, Sweden
Joined Jul 2003
599 Posts
Anyone that knows where the sweet spot for angle of attack for the wing is?

BR / kajaken
kajakmannen is offline Find More Posts by kajakmannen
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:49 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
AoA??? I XfLr5 says something like 4. But I am using 0.1 decalage and it working very well so far.

EZ
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:25 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
494 Posts
One more Synergy wing...

Allrighty, I've finally had a chance to put together the Synergy wing I'd been planning. It's based on GT's planform as published in this thread. 4-panel cores were very nicely CNC hot-wire cut by RDJay from HL60 foam. Layup is pretty traditional: 1oz Kevlar skins, doublers, and flap prefacing; CF/Kevlar LE; CF tip and center joint reinforcements; .060" CF rod spars. It came in at exactly 130g before servos/horns/linkage or peg. I was hoping for something more like 125g but I think I can still build this up under 10oz, will be shooting for 9.5oz.

The LE turned out quite good except for a small section at the 4th-panel transition on each wing that, after bagging, is a bit "pointier" than it should be. The wing is extremely rigid in torsion, and pretty stiff in bending (about the same as my disser Akcent-2). The layup is pretty dry - I bagged the skins on the mylars with paper towel before putting them on the cores and back in the bag. The surface is fully glossy where there was extra epoxy (spar and doubler areas, LE, TE) but there are dryer areas that are "textured" (see 3rd picture). All the fibers appear to be fully saturated, and there is no evidence of the skin buckling or coming away from the foam when I bend or twist the wing. My gut says this is fine structurally but if anyone thinks otherwise please feel free to comment.

This wing will be (appropriately) paired up with a GT fuse that I've been dying to put to use since last fall. As soon as I have a few flights in I'll post a mini-review of the fuse in the relevant forum and feedback on the wing in this forum. Thanks Gerald for making another set of modern foils available to the community!

-John
jbarnhardt is online now Find More Posts by jbarnhardt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jbarnhardt; Mar 27, 2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:34 PM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
899 Posts
Nice work John! Those look great. I hope you can bring them to the next contest(built of course).

Lee
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
Old Mar 26, 2013, 07:45 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,704 Posts
Good stuff!
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004