HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What do you think of this Comet kit?
Is it something you would build? 6 35.29%
Would you make it an RC sailor? 11 64.71%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:45 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,883 Posts
Download
Comet Mfg.- Gypsy Sloop Jr. - Rare kit

I built this kit as my first wood model in 1953. I accidently found a person looking for plans of this vessel for years. I opened the Comet Gypsy Jr. box and had the plans scanned with all the wood parts in the box. We exchanged info with email and he redrew the plans with my measurements back and forth to make a reproduced plan version of this wonderful boat.

Now that we have the plans all done and quite workable with our measures I am posting them here for anyone that would like to download it and make it as a 10.75 inch desk shelf model or a much larger blown up RC model. I would like to see this vessel if built in any form posted here so we all can enjoy seeing this classic vessel with some Comet kit modeling history shown right here. I wish I knew how many of these kits were made by Comet.

So rather than upload another batch of files I am giving you the links here to get the plans.
The new redrawn plan:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8082

The originals. The scan measures may not match. Carefuly check if you use these..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8085

I hope to see some built. Enjoy this seafarer with New England lines. I welcome your comments.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:30 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
Why go to the trouble of making it small, when at something over twice the size your thinking of, it would still look good, perhaps even better, on display and make a suitable rc conversion. The classic look needs water to set it off,
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:46 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,883 Posts
Martin,
You are partially right with your thoughts. I have a few of these on display in my home on a bookcase shelf and maybe a dreamer would like it on there desk also. Now when they are hard at work they can look at it and wish they owned a real boat like that to get them on the water instead of slogging with a bad day at work. I had a 28 foot 1934 Casey Cutter in these lines not long ago and it was a joy in my life.
Thanks,
**Neons** Bob
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I literally JUST downloaded this plan from the vintage plane thread, looks like it's a slick boat. Thinking about blowing it up to ~12" and building it Footy class legal, already looking for super light servos.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Mar 2007
235 Posts
Be aware that Comet used very open weave sailcloth to get scale sails and the boat will be seriously overcanvased if you use tight weave cloth to that pattern.

Cheers,

Earl
Earl Boebert is offline Find More Posts by Earl Boebert
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:13 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,883 Posts
Earl
You are right about the cloth. The material looks like superlight cheescloth. Remember this kit was produced as early as 1943. I built this model for display in my bookcase. It is a small shelf model. I guess having it sail they used something that is not solid and lets some air to filter through. I would not use this stuff today anyway. My shelf models use very light silkspan for display sails. I use Irish linen on my classic sailboats that is boiled in tea for aged color. Model Shipways may still have it.

If you are sailing and use better material you may have to add some more ballist and or a slightly deeper keel maybe.
**Neons** Bob
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Mar 2007
235 Posts
With the cheesecloth sails it sails just fine. I know this because I built one over 60 years ago and sailed it in tidepools all along the California coast.

Cheers,

Earl
Earl Boebert is offline Find More Posts by Earl Boebert
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:08 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
How do you guys think handkerchief linen would work with this boat? Any other alternatives to cheese cloth?

Neon, what is the weight made of and what is the weight?

I almost have my frame done, just need to add the lower longerons, and I'm at 4.15g.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:56 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,883 Posts
YB,
I think handkerchief will be fine. I will strongly suggest you spray it with Scotchgaurd to waterproof it. If the boat gets blown on the beam ends it will soak the sail and she may not right herself and sink. You cannot sail with wet sails. It will be top heavy. The weight in the box is 1x2x1/8 inches. Not sure on the weight. Maybe 3/4th to 1 ounce. Try lead shot to see what it needs for weight to get it down on her waterline. Weigh the shot on a postal scale and get some lead flashing . You can cut flashing with a scissors and laminate it for the weight. I last built this model in 1953. Seal your interior also.
**Neons** Bob
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:01 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Some pictures

Neon, I made my keel out of 26 gauge sheet steel since I will be adding a lead bulb to the end anyway. Do you recall the hull needing any more weight to get it on it's water line, or was the 1oz enough?

I've uploaded some pictures of the hull under construction. It is just below 19 grams with the whole frame, balsa planked 1/64" ply deck, and the first two planks done.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:25 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,883 Posts
YB,
Boy I love this. You are doing a wonderful job on her. i like your contrasting wood. Bright work wood trim will look nice on her. I guess I will have to make one again. Please keep the photos coming on your build log. I wish I could direct you exactly on the setup to actually sail her. The tips I offer are from experiences sailing my Emma C. Berry model with irishlinen sail cloth. I also have other small things I learned about sailing classic models through my short experiences. I really can't give you specifics on this boat as I was 10 years old when I made it many years ago. It was then only static shelf model. Don't let that stop you. I am sure you will succeed. I will be anxiously awaiting to see more of this fine model you are producing.

I am going to post the plans in the Vintage Model Boat forum also so others can find her. There will be a reference link made to this thread. I am sure you will have some interested builders asking you some questions. I am most happy to see my childhood boat come to life again.
Thank You for sharing with us all.
**Neons** Bob
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:18 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I have started a full build thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post20556471 for anyone who wants to follow it. I will post a few major updates here as they come along.

Also, it may help to know: the CLR for this boat is 53% of the waterline length from the bow.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
making sails

I have not made this model, but I did make my daughters the 1 foot Sterling sail boats when they were younger. I moved away from cloth because if the sails got wet the boat wold have sunk. At that point, I used white plastic garabage bags. Made the sails per sizes suggest and reinforced the leach with red electerical tape so that thin wire could be used to make rings to attach mast or jibstay- the red tape was also use to make corner reinforcement to attach sheet lines or outhaul lines to. I also used red pin striping tape to make battens on the aft part of the sail to allow some shape.
After sailing for over 3 years of summers the sails did start to get brittle. The other thing I would consider is the use of those Tyvek enevelops that can be purchased for mailing legal documents, it is light material, and waterproof and cuts easy and does not need reinforcememt. I hope your plans is to rc the boat this will allow you to set sails and rudder which will allow you to hande the pressure in the sails, and besides if you are building the model you are logically smart enough to not put the boat in the water with a 15 knot wind.

Just some thoughts on sails and good luck with your build it is an interesting model.

Happiness,
Rich
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:14 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,883 Posts
Your thoughts are well accepted for certain craft. I am very sure it works very well on many sailing models. But there is a line drawn on the the Scale classic sailing model builder that wants to stay inline with what a boat looked like and sailed with many years ago. I have my gaff rigged schooner with Irish linen sails on it. All the panels lines are machine sewn and the cringles are doubled for strength along with the head, foot, sheet, and tacks also. All the reef points are in and I have all the mast hoops lashed also. Very real look and scale like. Now I would not ever in my lifetime own a classic boat with plastic sails. Of course that is a choice for each individual builder.

The trick with cloth sails is to get some 3M Scotchguard and spray the sails. Water will not bond and rolls of like ball bearings. Great stuff. I sailed my shooner and she hit a strong breeze and went on her beam ends and just righted herself right back up again. The sails were dry.

Don't get me wrong. I feel plastic anything just does not belong on a classic boat. If you sail a 12meter or other types of class racing boats then go right ahead with it. They sail with many types of sail materials. I have a small chined sloop and I use Dacron that is like parachute material on it. Works very well also.

**Neons** Bob
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:01 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
Not a problem Neon

I have to agree with your statments, I have to ask the length of your schooner is it 12 inches like this model. My thoughts were to provde some possible solutions to what could be come a weight problem for this small of a model. Any way that being said, you should know that I love tradational sail craft big and small - and am in the process of restoring a real Morgan 30, it may be glass but has the at long shear long and reasonable overhang aft. I have and maintain some traditional models and try to stay with dacron or other material that would represent prototype apperance.

Not trying to be negative just was trying to help,
Rich
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003