Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:00 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
1,999 Posts
Build Log
OSSP (one sheet sport plane)

Hi there from Toledo

There have been a number of OS (one sheet) Planes made from dollar store foam, depron, fan fold foam, and so forth. All were quite creative and ingenious in many ways, especially the use of the limited amount of material. The planes are in general modest sized efforts due to the size of the foam sheets.

Okay, well done.

I, however, prefer 60 size sport planes with 900+ watt power systems, big props, and real landing gear which fly off a grass field. So it can't be dainty but must be light enough to fly well and heavy enough to retain kinetic energy to do aerobatics well.

And here is the kicker, it should also be made from one sheet of foam.

The foam will be 1/2" or 3/4" construction foam pink, green, or blue, 4' wide by 8' long. Other materials will be conventional model stuff, glues, balsa, spruce or pine, plywood, some metal and plastic bits and some God given inspiration.

So, let's see where this takes us. Join in, kibitzing welcome, kvetching not so much. I think this will be fun.

ciao -rjf

Igor, Are you out there?
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Last edited by ray foley; Jan 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:39 PM
volare est vivere
Joined Jan 2005
1,999 Posts
hi there from Toledo

So where shall we start? Some design parameters first I suppose.

We have one sheet of foam, 32 sq ft = 4' x 8', which is really quite a lot of for our purposes. The wing will be 6' long because longer won't survive the stairs to the laboratory in the dungeon, trust me I know. The wing area will be around 1000 sq inches to insure some floatiness during landing. The wing planform for the first go around will be simple rectangular hersheybar style with full length ailerons. The wing thickness will be 2" thick, semi or full symmetrical airfoil and something similar to the 4*wings. The ailerons will be tapered and about 2" wide for good handling even at slow speeds.

The Hstab and elevators will be of foam and wood consrtuction as will be the Vstab and rudder. Flat plate style surfaces will be used for simplicity but the rudder and elevators will be tapered to mitigate flutter.

The fuselage will be about 5' long and will be reinforced with a wooden frame for stiffness and strength especially around the LG and motor mount areas. The wing will be dowel and bolt mounted to the fusealge. The TNT Landing Gear landing gear will be bolted to the wooden frame. I prefer tail draggers that have steerable tail wheels.

The e-power will be from and Axi 413018 with x-mount with a spinner nut, all hanging out in the breeze. An APC 15 X 8 e-prop will provide motivation. A CC ice 75 ESC with a pair of 3S 4000 mah lipos will control and empower the Axi Beast quite nicely.

So "DEM'S" my thoughts on the matter.

ciao -rjf

Igor, where are you?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:48 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,444 Posts
Well, until you started laying down specs, I had one here, 10.8ft span glider from a single sheet. I was playing with this when Cole was doing his 4X OSG, how big could one get from a single sheet.

If you use half inch, I'd not think you will need lots of reinforcements as long as you build for light and flight instead of for just in case and crash. Probably just local for hard points like gear. You have set a good challenge I'll be interested in how she turns out!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:15 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Springer... now you are talking my kind of 1 sheeters. Hope you don't stop at one.
Have you started a thread yet?

Ray watching with interest.

Larry
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:31 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,444 Posts
Larry: ha! Should've guessed you would like this! No build thread, I was just playing with Cole (antigravity) , and now I'm caught up with halfsheeters (another one ready for maiden, but winds 17 mph and snow) the opposite size direction! But i'm about done with them, fingers not tiny enough.

Sorry to hijack the thread, Ray! I'll shut up now....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:23 AM
volare est vivere
Joined Jan 2005
1,999 Posts
hi there from Toledo

Hey Springer & Larry

Hijacking? I did not say you couldn't hijack the thread. So there. This is just an allotropic form of side kibitzing, a very advanced and ancient methodology to be sure.

So I am off to see the wizard, or Lowes or HD for some foam and building materials. They should fit in the minivan just fine. oh yeah and a longish straight edge too.

ciao -rjf

ps: Springer, please build the glider and record it here, I love it. -rjf

Igor! Come home.
Last edited by ray foley; Jan 19, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:12 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,444 Posts
Cool, a new "syndrome" for foamie addicts: ASK, Allotropic Side Kibitzing! I love it!

Maybe the glider later in the spring when it gets closer to being able to comfortably stand out in the field and stare at the thing floating way up there in the sky. (just think how high one could get it and still see it with a 10 ft wing span - watch out all you guys from Romeo airport!) There's a 48" Swift somewhere buried in the hard drive that wants to be built before then, though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
volare est vivere
Joined Jan 2005
1,999 Posts
hi there from Toledo

So I got into the minivan and went to Lowes to find some 1/2 construction foam. What they had was light green in color, similar in most respects to the pink and blue foams with which I was previously familiar. Well the blue foam disappears into the sky, and the pink foam, well...hmmm, we won't go there.

So I bought some light green 1/2" foam which has "Lowes" printed all over the poly outer film on one side and nothing on the reverse side. It is quite windy and snowy so the foam will stay in the van until later calmer conditions.

I will probably have to set up some saw horses and do the initial cuts in the garage since the full size piece won't make it down the stairs to the laboratory in the dungeon unscathed.

I also picked up some 11/16" square stick pine 6' long as spar material and some 1/4" by 1" by 8' pine as fuselage crutch / stiffener.

The beginning parts of a project are so filled with promise and unknowns. It's marvelous.

Oh yeah, I cadded late into the night on preliminary airfoil design. This wing may end up with an "airfoil of convenience", that is, we'll see what evolves given the material properties, adhesives, strengthening and so forth. I doubt the airfoil will be anything close to a catalogued and numbered and tested profile but so it goes. TLAR that's how I roll my own at home. (-2 points, mixed metaphor)

Oh c**p, I forgot the straight edge.

ciao -rjf

ps: Springer, is that perchance a KF airfoil on the glider? And who said you had to or even should follow my lead? I do this stuff as a form of... therapy, please, follow your own inspiration wherever it leads. -rjf

Here, Igor, whistle, whistle.
Last edited by ray foley; Jan 22, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:10 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,444 Posts
That's what it was supposed to be, KFM2, 50%top step. I've had pretty good luck with that one as long as the LE is nicely conventional airfoil shaped, and the build is certainly easier than trying to match a cataloged one. For the smaller wings, I carve off some with a long blade knife then use a 2x2 with 80grit glued on to shape. Makes a nice constant surface to my eye.

Follow your lead? shoot, I can't even follow my own lead! (I may have something in common with Igor...) Is he out getting parts for you "Igor, bring me a brain!" or just wandering around like my Ranger does? (Ranger the wander dog)....

And while we're at it, since when does the addiction become therapy? Not that I'm complaining.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:13 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,444 Posts
Ray< was just looking at your first two posts, and I think you ought to make the wings with a bit of taper, then you can use the pieces you cut off for the fuse top and bottom. (one of my fav ploys in the little one sheeters) And tapered wings just look better, imho.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:51 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Springer
I was looking at your plan and if you are using a 4X8 sheet and your wing doesn't even span the 8 foot sheet... how are you coming up with a 10 foot wing? I don't see anything that could be a wing extension on the sheet.

Ray
Ya the cold weather has me slowed to almost a stop too. Watching with great interest.

BTW when do we get a peek at what you are building?

Regards
Larry
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:09 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,444 Posts
Larry: the two tapered pieces 3rd down from top are the poly tips, the topmost piece is the center kf step, and the two narrower tapered pieces just below the larger tapered pieces are the tip kf steps. Maybe I should label them. Now don't make me start a thread! (said in the same tone as "now don't make me turn this car around!") Gotta start/finish the one for the OSP-hs anyway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:10 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
I'll be watching, I half started a 1500 sq in profile in October before I was hospitalized. Now its too cold for working a giant plane in the garage.....
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:19 PM
RC Adddict
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
4,060 Posts
Larry i cant believe you are even trying to see things through a 1 sheet set of eyes , it can make you mad .
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:42 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Hi Wilfor
If it is 10 foot I wouldn't care if it only took 1/2 sheet.. of 4 X 8 that is. I love Springers 1 sheeters, but till now they were too small for me although I am going to build his OST... may scale it to 200% and glue 4 sheets together to make one sheet. It would be interesting to see if his design would make a 200% out of $tree foam.
I would bet it would with very little modification.

Now we got Ray... anxious to see what he does.