SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
22 Posts
Discussion
Next ARF After Radian

Got a Radian and a bug for another sailplane. I'm still a beginner with limited building time; but, I'd like the next plane to be winchable and put me on the way to some competition. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks
give up is offline Find More Posts by give up
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:48 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,170 Posts
Stop barking (ARF) and start building ... OlyII
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
22 Posts
How long does an Oly II take? I have multiple hobbies, obligations and a corporate America job.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,589 Posts
Don't wish to build?

Go to the Classifieds here in RCGroups.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:15 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
I have to agree with Greg here. The classifieds are the best way to go. What are you looking for, want to spend, skill level?
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:43 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,146 Posts
And if you want something new, virtually everything offered by places like SoaringUSA and Espritmodels (just to name two, there are others) is ARF.

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
22 Posts
Ok; but, the original question is: I have a radian and want a good sailplane that is winchable and will head me toward competition and learnin sailplanes. Suggestions appreciated. The Oly II looks good, I'm also hearing Eraser, Victory RES; but, I'm a beginner with a Radian in need of guidance.

thanks,
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:54 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
You mught try buying something used from a club member that can help you learn along the way. If your not a club member, try and find one. If there is no club by you, this could take a little longer. Try finding a used Bird of Time, 2 or 3 meter.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Jan 2012
22 Posts
Most of the club planes are Supras. It doesn't seem like a good second plane.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:48 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Your right about that. Be paitent, look in the for sale section for a used Riser, or Bird of Time.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
22 Posts
I watched a midified BOT winch and it was scary to watch. I thought the wings were gonna go.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:35 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,705 Posts
If your budget allows, and you want to stay with RES, look at an Ava, Danny, or Topaz. And you can usually find one for sale in the classifieds here. All are quite winchable and good for getting a start into competitions.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:03 AM
VegasRay
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2005
212 Posts
After Radian

From your description of your new flying skills and shortness of available time I would seriously recommend getting a Multiplex Easy Glider Pro. This is another foamy with rudder, elevator and ailerons. It is easily winch launched and with the tow-hook moved back about 3/4 to 1 inch it launches very high. It's durable, easy to repair if necessary with CA and not at all expensive. It comes 1) as a simple kit, 2) assembled with servos and 3) completely ready to fly. The Number Two version if used with your current TX and RX would get you flying in a very short amount of time - like an hour or two.

Contrary to my OFB LV Soaring, save the AVA, Topaz, Danny RES types for plane number three.

Ray
VegasRay is offline Find More Posts by VegasRay
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:58 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by give up View Post
Most of the club planes are Supras. It doesn't seem like a good second plane.
I have also responded to your radio thread but you never answered anyone's posts.. I presume you have a DX5e from your Radian. That is what I use for my Radian Nd one of my Easy gliders.

BUDGET - how much do you have to spend?

HELP - sounds like you have help

RES or FULL HOUSE - Based on the other thread, you only have a dx5e. That will fly any RES glider. With Y cables on ailerons and flaps it can fly a FH glider too, but will be limiting compared to a sailplane radio like the Airtronics SD10G, the Futaba 8FG, Hitec Aurora 9 or the JR 9503. But you can certainly start with it.

THE WINCH - if you want to winch and you want to get into competition then you need something with a strong enough wing to let you learn the winch without constantly breaking the wing. Some people take to the winch right away. I had a LOT of trouble learning the winch. That's how I learned to fix wood ARF wings. . Now I love it and have a winch of my own.

You don't have to launch full pedal to be competitive but you don't want to be holding your breath waiting for the wings to snap as you are learning. BTW we winch Radians at my club.

The best winch trainer plane I have seen is the Easy Glider or the EG Pro.
That wing wii tolerate a pretty good winch launch. If you make a big mistake, it is cheap and easy to fix.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVR0&P=7

You can get your timing and technique working before going to something expensive, like the Supra. And after you move up to some super plane you can use the EG to teach the new guys, take it slope soaring or stick a motor in it for ALES contests. And every contest pilot needs a back-up glider.

It is a very versital glider. You can practice your landings without flapperons using your DX5e.. Then add flapperons to the mix when you get your new radio.

You can even start to learn about camber, reflex and flapperons with an EG Pro when you get your new radio. For now your DX5e will fly it if you don't have money for a new radio right now. Be sure to put a 6 channel receiver in it so you can set up flapperons later.

You can also learn about the use of ballast as the EG is easy to ballast. The EG flies faster than the Radian and penetrates wind better.. The ailerons make it more responsive than the Radian which also helps in wind.

While it is still a gentle glider it will demand more of your attention than the Radian does.. Again, this is good training for the bigger full house gliders.

I have seen new contest pilots fly Easy Gliders at ESL contests.

If you want to go full house and away from foam then the Spirit Elite would be my recommendation.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVR0&P=7

Again it won't take a full pedal launch, but the ARF has a pretty strong wing and you can buy replacement wings. It flies well and thermals well IF you keep the speed up. This is not a floater. It does quite well in the wind. And it will give you all the surface mix experience of a full house glider. There are several in our club and the guys like them.

You can fly it on the DX5e with Y cables on Ailerons and flaps. You can still do flap camber and reflex too.

Then get a Supra. . I love mine.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 29, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Jan 2012
22 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I'm thinking about a build. My son picked up a NIB OLY 650 for $40. I have the time and money for that. As I understand, they don't make 'em anymore. Too bad, looks like a nice plane.