HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:02 AM
Up up and away!
Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newandaddicted View Post
Hya, CW noob here as well... Kent, did you get a response? I'm facing similar issues.
For the record, I got an email too and started trouble-shooting from there, hence the lack of response from me on this forum.
FpvKiwi is offline Find More Posts by FpvKiwi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:37 AM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FpvKiwi View Post
KentF, thanks for your info.
As you point out, yes a serial cable is used to change between mux and demux firmware.
It's possible to setup generating a PPM signal from scratch without using the serial prompt. But your way is sure to work.
I've never been able to get it to work from scratch without the serial prompt. The DragonLink does't recognize the PPM unless I specify the frame length and outputs. I'm fairly new to the CW so I assumed it was something I was/was not doing and since the serial worked, I just left it at that. I didn't see any config that I could do without the serial that would make it work.

It works like a champ though when I specify the settings (that I showed on the previous forum page).

Kent
KentF is online now Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:05 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentF View Post
I've never been able to get it to work from scratch without the serial prompt. The DragonLink does't recognize the PPM unless I specify the frame length and outputs. I'm fairly new to the CW so I assumed it was something I was/was not doing and since the serial worked, I just left it at that. I didn't see any config that I could do without the serial that would make it work.

It works like a champ though when I specify the settings (that I showed on the previous forum page).

Kent
Hi Kent,

I'm not having any luck getting my CW to work. I've installed it per instructions and cannot get it to enter the setup mode (orange led flashing once every second). My intent is to use it to control just one extra channel (using the VR A knob on my 9C) with my Dragonlink V1.

Is there anything special that I'm supposed to be doing with the serial cable to get this thing to work? I'm not using the trainer port to install it, so I'm using the wiring scheme shown on fpv kiwi's website. I was so excited to be able to add another channel, but now it seems like it's not going to happen.

capn
capn is offline Find More Posts by capn
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:10 AM
France, Limousin, Limoges
Joined Jul 2009
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn View Post
Hi Kent,

I'm not having any luck getting my CW to work. I've installed it per instructions and cannot get it to enter the setup mode (orange led flashing once every second). My intent is to use it to control just one extra channel (using the VR A knob on my 9C) with my Dragonlink V1.

Is there anything special that I'm supposed to be doing with the serial cable to get this thing to work? I'm not using the trainer port to install it, so I'm using the wiring scheme shown on fpv kiwi's website. I was so excited to be able to add another channel, but now it seems like it's not going to happen.

capn
I have 12 channels on my 9C and DL V1 and V1 upgraded, with nothing else, see a fews pages back for my set-up.

Cedric
GLADUS63 is online now Find More Posts by GLADUS63
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: old MyFlyDream AAT upgrade
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:25 AM
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADUS63 View Post
I have 12 channels on my 9C and DL V1 and V1 upgraded, with nothing else, see a fews pages back for my set-up.

Cedric
Thanks, Cedric. Unfortunately your setup isn't like mine. I'm attaching my DL with a hacked module. I'm wiring the CW up to the PCB inside the 9C.

Besides, I'm not having a problem wiring it up. I'm just having a problem with it functioning as it's supposed to. I've exhausted all of the help that FPVkiwi is willing to give at this point, aside from sending it back for testing. We've exchanged many emails and he's been very helpful in suggesting things to try.

I was just thinking that if I could use the serial connection in some way to make things work, I would try that route. I'm having the exact same issue as some other users with the DL not recognizing the PPM in.

It looks like it may simply not work
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:37 PM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn View Post
Hi Kent,

capn
Hi Capn,

So you've hooked up everything (CW to the PPM out and your VR-A knob directly to channel 1 on the CW, then you're powering up everything, setting the channel selector on the CW to one more than the number of PPM channels that the 9C sends out, then pressing the left button to enter setup mode and it doesn't start the orange light blinking?

If you have the CW without anything hooked up and you power it up, then press the left button, does the light start to blink?

Also, have you tried using the serial cable and are you able to get a command prompt using the instructions?

Kent
KentF is online now Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Sep 2005
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentF View Post
Hi Capn,

So you've hooked up everything (CW to the PPM out and your VR-A knob directly to channel 1 on the CW, then you're powering up everything, setting the channel selector on the CW to one more than the number of PPM channels that the 9C sends out, then pressing the left button to enter setup mode and it doesn't start the orange light blinking?

If you have the CW without anything hooked up and you power it up, then press the left button, does the light start to blink?

Also, have you tried using the serial cable and are you able to get a command prompt using the instructions?

Kent
Hi Kent,

Thanks for getting back to me...actually, I've tried a bunch of different things with Anders standing by instructing me on what to do next. I'm not able to get the CW to work and will be sending it back to him to test.

For whatever reason, it will only read the initial ppm stream at power up of the TX and pass that on to the DL RX. So, when I hold the right stick at full up elevator and turn on the radio, the elevator will go up and stay there, regardless of what I do next. When I shut the TX off, the servos will then return to a relaxed/zeroed state.

I'm able to connect it via the ftdi cable and issue commands, and that is how I ultimately had to enter setup and program it. I'm using teraterm to interface with it, and when I enter "i.spacing=50" it spits out only one number [2108], for instance. It's supposed to continue to list all channels at one second intervals when issuing that command. So, something is clearly up.

capn
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:41 AM
Up up and away!
Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
701 Posts
The situation capn experiences is something I haven't seen before. After the first PPM frame, the CW doesn't receive any more data. Does the DL module disturb via power line or radio interference? Do the signal levels from the Tx change?
Regardless, I don't see any chance to rectify this via normal operating procedure.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:51 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
344 Posts
So the channel wizard is new to me, but after some searching I was still wondering:

If I have a Futaba 10cag with 10 channels, is it possible to add to 4 more channels that the R6014HS receiver has available using the CW? I've read through the very detailed instructions on integrating th CW to the 10cag (https://bitbucket.org/fpvkiwi/channe...d/wiki/TxGuide) but it looks like its meant to then be sent to an external UHF tx.

Any insight is appreciated!
Superevan
superevan is online now Find More Posts by superevan
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:31 AM
Up up and away!
Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
701 Posts
It looks like the Futaba 10cag has integrated radio module. By all probability it uses a proprietary data format between transmitter and radio module so no, CW won't work with that.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:55 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FpvKiwi View Post
It looks like the Futaba 10cag has integrated radio module. By all probability it uses a proprietary data format between transmitter and radio module so no, CW won't work with that.
That makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply! I'll definitely get a set once I'm using a UHF system.
superevan is online now Find More Posts by superevan
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:22 AM
NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
245 Posts
Buddy box(Htracker) Turnigy 9x with ChainlinkDARE

Hi FpvKiwi
Stumbled onto your CW & thread..V interesting. From what I have read here & bitbucket, it sounds like I can do this:
Using my Turnigy9X tx which ppms 8 ch out but I have a ChainlinkDARE which says: Channels : 11 channels,9 channels for control signal ,1 channel for PPM
output,1 channel for analog RSSI output. =11
So can I have any old Tx (another 9x or Futaba 7C) or head tracker hooked up to drive pan tilt and pilots tx for all else. And get more than 8 ch from the T9x???
If yes do I need to CW? one ground based (and how) and one in flight?
Basically I want a video guy not tooo close to me and more channels, at least use the full 9 of the ChainlinkDare.
Thanks
Troy
PS we will be flying out to maximum range of CLD so reliability is important (despite using a $50 radio
Imagecatcher is offline Find More Posts by Imagecatcher
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:48 AM
Up up and away!
Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
701 Posts
Hi
If you use custom firmware for Turnigy 9X you can get 9 channels, no?
To use more than 9 channels, yes you can use two Channel Wizards. One goes between the Tx and CL module (this is "mux"), the other connects to the Rx in the plane ("demux"). To the mux you can connect more switches or pots or another Tx.
To configure this you need a FTDI adapter or similar.

At the limit of the radio range, the extra channels will react more sluggishly than the regular ones.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:35 AM
Joined Mar 2012
39 Posts
Does anyone know how I can adjust the trim on an external joystick I have, connected to the CW and Rangelink Tx on ch 11 and 12 for Pan and Tilt?
allfiredup is offline Find More Posts by allfiredup
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:05 PM
France, Limousin, Limoges
Joined Jul 2009
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allfiredup View Post
Does anyone know how I can adjust the trim on an external joystick I have, connected to the CW and Rangelink Tx on ch 11 and 12 for Pan and Tilt?
I think you need to add one 100OHMs potentiometer in serial of the joystick output and before the CW.

(Only one pot is needed due to the fact that only 2 out of the 3 pin are used)
GLADUS63 is online now Find More Posts by GLADUS63
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by GLADUS63; Feb 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: mistake