HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2012, 06:11 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,859 Posts
my wifes bike has on those big luftmeister top boxes, (but I painted her bike in a butterfly pattern in pinks, pearles and light blues, I don't ride it often)lol even if she would let me, (only while I'm tuning it)
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 06:21 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,118 Posts
How interesting, Ive Never seen a model boat suspended in a cradle before !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old May 06, 2012, 01:26 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,347 Posts
Nice cradle.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Last edited by MILLERTIME; May 09, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old May 06, 2012, 05:01 AM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,325 Posts
thanks guys........but I really can't call them stands, or shouldn't have done....they are reall cradles to hold them whilst travelling.......and to avoid shock damage and paint damage.
the only time I ever get round to making a display stand is if it's going off to a customer.....other than that I tend to go for the more practical method.
neil.
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
Old May 06, 2012, 12:01 PM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
When done are you having a sail day on the boating lake in Fleetwood?
DerekCross is offline Find More Posts by DerekCross
Old May 06, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekCross View Post
When done are you having a sail day on the boating lake in Fleetwood?
Most definately Derek........will you be guest of honour.
neil.
Anyway, back to reality and not a dream.........and down to some work today ( well last night to be more exact, for the firsat thing.........
I got round to doing another of those little detailing parts.....remember the item on the main mast...the black tube that operated with the mast when upright or folded down. It turns out that (as one mayhem member suggested) it is a conduit for wiring and electrical gear up to the mast head.
I made this from some black silicon tubing, a base fitting which came from the Clyde class lifeboat, and a piece of brass tubing.

And to set it all in place, the tabernackle was fixed onto the cabin top using a thin layer of polyester filler which allowed the tabernackle to set level and without gaps, on to the curvature of the cabin. You can see in the last clse up shot of the tabernackle, the filler oozing out from under the fitting, which was cleaned off as it was going rubbery but not yet set.
It also located into the cabin top using 4 pre fit brass pins that set into pre drilled holes in the cabin. The brass tubing acts as a guide for the silicon tube to slide up and down when the mast is raised and lowered.
Old May 06, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,325 Posts
Today, I began to prepare for spraying the hulls of the three boats, by giving a coat of etching primer, to key into the grp without blooming.

I am by no means anywhere near a decent painter, and tend to muddle through, and I tend to become impatient when painting, but have said to myself, this time, I'll spend some tme and take my time, leaving coats to dry, and rub down with wet and dry well.............ummmmm!!!.

hopefully I'll reach a desired effect that will be pleaseing to the eye.

So, I got down to it, and even after the first coat, things didn't go well at all......first I found a small area on the belting of the H F Bailey that was hollow underneath the gell coat, so painting stopped whilst I cut out the gell coat and filled, then sanded down, before giving another coat around the area with primer.

However, on the Mary Stanford, there was an even bigger cockup to cover...........

After spraying up with the coar of etching primer, I was looking at it and watching the preverbial paint to dry when I realised that I hadn't put into the two anchor recesses, the hawse pipes from the anchor/rope recesses to the deck..............so I then had to work that out, using brass tubing, and filler to hold it in place, so after drilling the holes to take the hawse pipe, that was sorted, and after cleaning up the mess created it was back to a covering coat of etching primer.

However, for the opening where the hawse pipe comes through the deck, I used bulwark hawse plates ( moulded for the Clyde lifeboat) as the deck housing surrounds, bedded in with polyester filler, and trimmed up just as it was going off..
Old May 06, 2012, 06:13 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,118 Posts
Still trying to get used to how big these boats are !
Old May 07, 2012, 06:02 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,325 Posts
with my hands knarled with arthritis, 1:12 scale is as small as I like to work these days, Tim...any smaller and it hurts, physically to hold them.that's why my little minature lifeboats are on hold.
neil.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,325 Posts
Filler primer now applied. I'll give them all another coat of this tonight before I turn in, and then will give a couple of either white or grey primer tomorrow before setting about them all with wet and dry.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:57 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,118 Posts
This will be great to see final colours go on the hulls !
Old May 07, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,325 Posts
Yes, Tim.......I'm looking forward to it too...been a long time coming.
neil.
Old May 07, 2012, 09:29 PM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
might be coming over in a few weeks, my mum is in one of the rest homes overlooking the model boating lake, so it might just happen!!!
DerekCross is offline Find More Posts by DerekCross
Old May 08, 2012, 02:48 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,325 Posts
Which one is that, Derek.........I have an old buddy ( but sadly not seen him for a while, as he doesn't recognise anyone these days, and it's heartbreaking to see them in that state), who resides in "The Yachtsman" overlooking the lakeside.
give me a bell if you get over, (I'll pm you my mobile no. and we'll have a chat if you'd like.
neil./
Old May 08, 2012, 03:59 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,325 Posts
Primary coloured primers now added.......will need a couple more coats before rubbing down with 800 grade wet and dry.
Wht the different colours......??

Well, the Grey primer on the Mary Stanford is because her anti fouling is a green lead colour, as she was an "afloat" boat in Ballycotton Harbour, and topside is ford Galaxy Blue....a slightly darker shade of blue to the other two boats, and therefore will take a darker under primer.

The H F Bailey and the "Smuts" both have a white underhull as they were both slipway launched and boat house stored, and with a lighter Oxford Blue hull they will take a white under primer.

All boats will be given more coats of under primer before the final colours are added.