HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:48 PM
Dax
There is no spoon
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
1,016 Posts
Discussion
Opinions on the <$50 quad frames from GoodLuckBuy?

I was planning on doing a DIY frame with square aluminum tubing, however I'm ordering the MWC lite board from GoodLuckBuy anyways so I'm very tempted by the $25-$50 quad frames they are offering. Does anyone have any experience with these?

The first 2 seem very similar, for $42 and $32 respectively. They have neat spring loaded landing gear, folding frames. I think they are fiber glass and not carbon fiber, but the price is right:

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/kk-mk-x52...lticoptor.html

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/kk-mk-mul...ame-400mm.html

Now for $25 they have this one, which I believe is the one that is always out of stock at HobbyKing. The price is an insane $25, and it includes "LED lights" as a free gift. Landing gear is not spring loaded. I don't think I could do a DIY for less than $25 in parts.

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/x450-glas...ter-frame.html

I'm quite tempted to get either the $32 one with square arms, or the $25 one with the carbon tubes. But I wanted to see what the group thinks?

This will be my first quad. Eventually will be putting my 5.8ghx vTx and camera onboard, if that is any consideration.

Thanks!
Dax is offline Find More Posts by Dax
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
653 Posts
Or consider the hoverthings.com frame from http://www.hoverthings.com/frame-sets.html

In Canada, these are sold through http://www.flitelab.com.

I've used the hoverthings frame on 2 builds and can recommend it.
jpsabo is offline Find More Posts by jpsabo
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
IMO, Order two of which ever one you decide upon, one for spare parts. Both looks good but I have no personal experience with either.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
I have the X525, it is ok. Nothing fancy, missing/random bolts in the package. No instrustions, not that you really need them. Its ok for the price I guess. Just be prepared for a barebones frame thrown in a box that may not have all the parts.

The spring landing gear looks "neat" but its pretty much useless given how weak the springs are, and how it is setup with only an inch or so of travel. I doubt it would aid any in a rough landing.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:08 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
X525 test flinghts:
TMF PRO Test Flights (4 min 59 sec)

TMF PRO - Further Testing (6 min 6 sec)

It flies ok as a frame, no real issues that way.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:09 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
Some photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1081737...82719023/X525#
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:29 PM
Dax
There is no spoon
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Is the material black fiberglass, or carbon fiber? I think it's fiberglass...

How "strong" would you say the frame is? I know that one good crash will destroy even the strongest quad frame, but I'd like something that will survive minor crashes.

I'm leaning slightly towards the X450 because I think it's more sturdy / crash resistant.

I like the look of the round tubes better, but I want to mount LED light strips on it for orientation, so I'm thinking the square frame will make that easier...

Decisions, decisions...
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:38 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax View Post
Is the material black fiberglass, or carbon fiber? I think it's fiberglass... .

Why you no cant reed proper engrish, it say friber grass, it made of friber grass rike fiber glass but not fiber glass it friber grass

TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:39 PM
let's brm together!
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Nov 2011
390 Posts
while we're at it, what do you think about this one?
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/xaircraft...er-flight.html

not "that" cheap, but it looks really nice for the price. You still need to buy two because of spare parts I guess
zviratko is offline Find More Posts by zviratko
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:57 PM
Dax
There is no spoon
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee View Post
Why you no cant reed proper engrish, it say friber grass, it made of friber grass rike fiber glass but not fiber glass it friber grass

Exactly!

Not only does it say it's made from "Friber grass" it then goes on to say "2.8mm Aero plywood laser engraving"....

So it's either fiberglass, friber grass, or plywood...
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:31 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
It g10 fiberglass or similar.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:17 PM
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
563 Posts
I just assembled my X525 frame. I have not flown it, but I can admit that it is a nice looking frame. I think one nice thing about it is that the arms are 1/2" square aluminum, which I THINK I can get at my local Home Improvement store such as Lowe's or Home Depot.

I read someone else describe the springy landing gear as "hokey". I agree. I don't see it really softening landings, but if one were to loosen the hinge screw enough, I suppose it might help.

I don't like that it does not come with any reasonable method for adding a dome or something to protect your electronics.

The ability to fold it (kinda) is neat, but they should really change the design to incorporate a folding method similar to Jakub's frames! His frames are a bit more expensive than these.

An alternative that I both HAVE and could recommend is Rusty's MQ-1 frame found here.

It is made in the good ol' US of A, and gives the user a LOT of flexibility. The only negative on the MQ-1 is that you gotta find your own arms. If you have a local hobby shop that sells the Align Trex 450 booms, then you're in business! You should be able to find a pair of those for less than $10, and they are long enough to cut into four arms EASILY. The advantage is that it is light, high quality, good lookin, and easy to repair after a crash . . . plus it protects the electronics . . . sorta.

Once I fly the X525, I'll add to my opinion of it.
DroneBuilder is offline Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:10 AM View Post
topflyrc
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Over-competition). It is temporarily hidden while topflyrc edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:20 AM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,943 Posts
You get what you pay for with these frames. And please dont hook some childs face with that terrible landing gear. Sharp points on flying objects yikes!

There are better frames on there I would avoid that one.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:11 PM
Dax
There is no spoon
Vancouver BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topflyrc View Post
attention, be careful to buy on this site www.goodluckbuy.com
I have been cheated, I just opened a paypal dispute, I contacted the seller. I have only promised repayments poiu that I was never sent.
attention, even by paying with paypal you may lose money.
He does not deserve any confidence. attention!
Now I await assistance decisionbe paypal.
There have been lots of people on this forum that have purchased from them with no issues.

You don't state how you've been "cheated".

Edit: Even better, you are a competitor of GLB... http://www.topflyrc.it/

Go shill in someone else's thread.