HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:52 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Today was interresting as I thought it was absolutely no thermals. 0-0,5m/s wind. But it was differences and I had to try and fly the same pattern all the time.
I logged all flights ( 8 ) and tried different CG and camber.
It is difficult to read the logs as it was areas with tiny bit better air.

Just like I have found earlier years is that the less camber you can get away with is better. It might look good with lots of camber but in most conditions very little is needed.

At earlier sessions on the ice it is rare to get better than 0,32 - 0,30 (lower number is better). This time I sometimes got under (especially on the last flights).
So I can say that I feel this model performs better than Perfect. But I need to fly both models at the same weight to know for sure. Today I only had the Perfection with me.

I also changed the hook position / launch camber a little every 2nd flight. Used both 112, 114, 116 and 10, 12mm camber.
112 for safe launching. Further back for winching F3B style. I will probably be using mostly 10mm camber

And.. I checked my CG I flew with yesterday with full ballast. It was 114mm. Might cut the fuse ballast (not original) to get it slightly forward.

Jojo
www.jojoen.no
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
UAV F3J EDF
Melbourne Australia
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
very nice Jojo

I flew my Perfection in the competition yesterday, 2 flights, the launch settings are not quite right but the flying qualities are excellent. I could not be happier.

The wind during the event was up to 8 m/s and very strong thermal conditions. The ballast was only in the wing, 16mm brass weighing 624 g.

The Perfection is very well balanced in thermal turn. the dihederal is almost ideal. The light extremities make the model very good at indicating conditions. Without direct comparison to the Perfect, I feel the Perfection returns from down wind extremely well. With only the 624g in the model, it easily performed very well in these harsh condition we can have in Southern Australia.

I will take some measurements of my settings and post them later.

Cheers

David Hobby

A photo of my Perfection is on my Facebook page,

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001512812498
davidhobby is offline Find More Posts by davidhobby
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:52 AM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,719 Posts
So I see the servos in the wing are conventional, i.e. no RDS? I'm glad, hope the price is about the same as everything else, maybe 2k, I would be interested. Thought that if it came with RDS and servos, etc.. the price would be pretty high.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:48 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
picture of your ship

I didn't see it. Can you post it here. Thanks Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhobby View Post
very nice Jojo

I flew my Perfection in the competition yesterday, 2 flights, the launch settings are not quite right but the flying qualities are excellent. I could not be happier.

The wind during the event was up to 8 m/s and very strong thermal conditions. The ballast was only in the wing, 16mm brass weighing 624 g.

The Perfection is very well balanced in thermal turn. the dihederal is almost ideal. The light extremities make the model very good at indicating conditions. Without direct comparison to the Perfect, I feel the Perfection returns from down wind extremely well. With only the 624g in the model, it easily performed very well in these harsh condition we can have in Southern Australia.

I will take some measurements of my settings and post them later.

Cheers

David Hobby

A photo of my Perfection is on my Facebook page,

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001512812498
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:16 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
I didn't see it. Can you post it here. Thanks Brian
Here it is
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:33 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
So I see the servos in the wing are conventional, i.e. no RDS? I'm glad, hope the price is about the same as everything else, maybe 2k, I would be interested. Thought that if it came with RDS and servos, etc.. the price would be pretty high.
RDS is heavier and absolutely not needed for the flying speed of an F3J model.

Prices in US we dont know yet. Deppends on a lot of factors and shipping
Last edited by jojoen; Feb 28, 2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: wrong prices
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:30 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Picture of David

Sharp. Thanks JoJo. Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoen View Post
Here it is
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:45 AM
UAV F3J EDF
Melbourne Australia
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
Thanks Jojo

I do not get many chances to sit down and check this forum. Very busy with life.

David
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Sep 2009
11 Posts
JoJo/David no more info on the Perfection did you both crash them we want info!
steven2083 is offline Find More Posts by steven2083
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:46 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2083 View Post
JoJo/David no more info on the Perfection did you both crash them we want info!
Cool that you are interrested

I have been out a couple of times more and are smiling every time. Had some nice flights yesterday on the winch bit it was cold and a breeze made it even colder. I did not bother to take photos or install a logger.
Flew with 400g ballast in wing and finetuned the CG, hook and the distance settings. Flew all over the valley. Ended up on 112mm CG (As expected after the other flights) and 1,5mm speed setting (meassured on flap) is doing the trick for me. Funny enough my elevator settings is excactly the same in both speed/neutral/thermal but needs a bit of down on launch. I did have to file the hook slightly (just a tiny notch) if I had the hook on 114mm but for F3J the hook comes 2mm forward to the same as the CG.

One thing many would like to hear is that they will make epoxy wipers on ailerons on all models. The tape gets wrinkled if not taken care of and might end in them coming up. It will be 5-6g extra on the wing tips but then we dont have to take care so much.

This weekend I will have an IGG grossegler event on the ice so big models is what happens next. But on Tuesday I leave for North Cyprus were 13 nations / 54 pilots will battle for this years first victory. BTW I will stay for 2 weeks and practice with Eser Kismir on this gorgeous island. Will be nice with some flying on the beach...
http://www.northcyprusf3jopen.com/

Jojo
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2009
11 Posts
Thanks Jo/Jo sorry to see your conditions it's 80 deg F here so we fly in shorts and t-shirts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:55 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2083 View Post
Thanks Jo/Jo sorry to see your conditions it's 80 deg F here so we fly in shorts and t-shirts
So where is "here"?
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Last edited by Miami Mike; Mar 09, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Sep 2009
11 Posts
Southern California, sorry it was 86 today
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
UAV F3J EDF
Melbourne Australia
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
Hi Steven

My Perfection is fine. I have just changed work and it has been very busy as you may understand.

The weather today is very good, so I plan to go flying in a couple of hours. I also have my Precision ready to fly as well. Good times.

Cheers

David Hobby
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:35 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,925 Posts
Dear David,
Hope all is going well for you in your new job. Please contact me and update your contact information... I am glad the new model is working for you. Looking forward to catching up in South Africa. Larry
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly