HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Question for you Pike Perfection pilots:

The Perfection has an articulated elevator as opposed to a full flying stab (Full flying has been previously considered optimum for nosing over at slow speed and nailing the spot). Have any of you noticed a lack of control authority trying to nose over and nail the hunski? This could show up when flaps are deployed, and the elevator is already close to full deflection due to flap to elevator mix.

Just curious.

Thanks

D
It is agood question since elevator might be in the turbulence of the wing. But it seems to be no issue on that.
"Nosing over" is different when flaps is deployed or not. But with flaps deployed it is still better than the Perfect or Xplorer 1 (even with large elevator). I know as I have flown a lot of 3.8 X1. With flaps in it is nosing over very fast so I have slowly this year learned to slow down and push both sticks on landing. This also prevents me forgetting to take in the flaps not having damage to linkage, hingeline or servos.
I even use 40% expo on elevator since it is so crisp.
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Question for you Pike Perfection pilots:

The Perfection has an articulated elevator as opposed to a full flying stab (Full flying has been previously considered optimum for nosing over at slow speed and nailing the spot). Have any of you noticed a lack of control authority trying to nose over and nail the hunski? This could show up when flaps are deployed, and the elevator is already close to full deflection due to flap to elevator mix.

Just curious.

Thanks

D
Daryl - I haven't experienced any real differences in the LZ, infact it seems very positive in this area.

However I notice a less positive response when pushing over to level flight after the zoom and feel I have to push over a little sooner while there is a bit more speed compared to the all flying stab of the Perfect.

Regards
Neil
Neil Jones is offline Find More Posts by Neil Jones
Last edited by Neil Jones; Oct 12, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:15 AM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,376 Posts
My understanding was that an all flying tailplane was less efficient than an articulated elevator. In the sense that they can create more drag, if the flow separates early due to a 'severe' control input.
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:20 AM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,498 Posts
Yes a hinged elevator is more efficient but has a limited range of motion. So for 99% of the flight hinged is better. For landing it's possible to run out of authority with a hinge but AMTs are unlimited -- hence the question.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:24 AM
Chuck it and see!
Joined Sep 2006
1,376 Posts
Vespa,

Absolutely, I'm sure I posted about the subject 3 or 4 years ago.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:41 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-span View Post
My understanding was that an all flying tailplane was less efficient than an articulated elevator. In the sense that they can create more drag, if the flow separates early due to a 'severe' control input.
Maybe, but most of the time the glider pilot should not be using extreme control inputs, and for small control deflections the all flying tailplane will be better.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:27 PM
Chuck it and see!
Joined Sep 2006
1,376 Posts
I think the real advantages are for the 'ping' and nailing a landing. Perhaps non elsewhere that I can think of.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:29 PM
Chuck it and see!
Joined Sep 2006
1,376 Posts
Neil,

Which is the item, thingy, used to fly the 200m height rules F5J. Have I got my wires crossed?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:46 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-span View Post
Which is the item, thingy, used to fly the 200m height rules F5J. Have I got my wires crossed?
As far as I know the The RC Electronics Altimeters are the only ones approved for UK eSoaring, and FAI sanctioned F5J events, though each event needs different firmware loaded.

They are available here:
http://www.esoaringgadgets.co.uk
http://www.electricsoaring.co.uk/altimeters.html

The CAM unit we sell is only approved for BARCS electric events.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:06 PM
Chuck it and see!
Joined Sep 2006
1,376 Posts
Thank you Neil.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:03 AM
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Pike Perfection stab and elevator response to random electric soaring altimeters in just 2 posts. Nice
Neil Jones is offline Find More Posts by Neil Jones
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:09 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,233 Posts
Downwind turns cannot be far behind!!!
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:11 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,498 Posts
Oh boy. I'm sure there are lots of folks out there who still believe that downwind turns are a myth. Around here we call them folks "flatlanders".
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:55 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,420 Posts
Perfection maiden

First flights on Perfection today... Standard C68 layup, came out at 2,020g (71.25 oz) all-up with CG at 113mm. Got launch settings, differential and rudder mixing pretty close. Launches and turns well.

Initial impressions are a wide speed range, with ability to run nicely in reflex yet slow way down with a few mm of camber. Noticeably absent is the tendency to steepen bank angle while circling, with minimal to no cross-controlling needed. Rudder is quite effective (as expected) and elevator authority seems more than adequate, even with full flaps deployed. The drooped nose is nice for sticking landings.

More testing to follow, including mono launches and ballast.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Last edited by tewatson; Nov 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Removed pic
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:20 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,420 Posts
Perfection install

Some Perfection install pics. A nice touch is that Samba builds in ribs on both sides of the wing servo bays, which saves me the trouble of doing it. I added an extra layer of carbon cloth to the servo bays as well. Fuse tray only required adjusting the openings to align the servos with the pushrods.

Battery is a Hyperion 1,450 LiFe (unregulated) and the RX is a Spektrum AR8000X.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson