HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:17 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoen View Post
Completely different building technique. Stiffer and stronger. About the same weight.
Rubbish Jo Jo !
When didi you have a ET SL at 1750 grams?
Ricko Ticko is offline Find More Posts by Ricko Ticko
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:25 AM
Registered User
jojoen's Avatar
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricko Ticko View Post
Rubbish Jo Jo !
When didi you have a ET SL at 1750 grams?
Ok?
We are talking about a fuse here...Not a complete model.
But my Perfect SL with electro ET tips is about 1850g. Is that good enough? I got the light tips at EC F3J last year and was flown in a Norwegian competition last year.
The 630g SL fuse for that is the one I have flown for 5? years.
The Perfection SL fuse is "about" that weight so I think I can compare since I have seen/hold Jaroslav's SL Perfection and have been told what building difference it is... The difference so far in a normal Perfection fuse and a SL fuse is very small.
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:33 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
You could likely either glue the fin solid to the base, or temporarily with silicone type adhesive and tape as usual.
Either one should eliminate or minimize any wobbling from clearance between the tube and joiner, I would think.
Blah, blah
I forgot to tape my rudder on the perfection yesterday and it didn't come off...
Must try harder to blow it off next time....

I love anecdotal evidence!
Oh my the rudder bends, how about a cross sectional study of all planes to come to conclusion that the overall effect is sub clinical in nature...
It might flex on a camera but dare you to see the effect in flight...
Wouldn't perhaps the confounding factor be the camera and observer perceptions rather than actual concern?

Ever seen a supra wings flex? You'd never buy one would you....

Now I'm concerned that the reason I don't win f3j comps lately is that I wasn't using Phillip Kolb joiners on my pike ET SL.....

But the real question to Jo Jo is however is the perfection going outperform a ET at 1500 m with an an average wind speed of 4m/s... Won't the perfection be too light, not enough wing span and the airfoil too thin?

I would have thought that the ET or explorer would be perfection for the next worlds, given the daily maximum temp will be only 18 degrees.....
Ricko Ticko is offline Find More Posts by Ricko Ticko
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:56 AM
Registered User
jojoen's Avatar
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricko Ticko View Post
Blah, blah
---snipp---

Now I'm concerned that the reason I don't win f3j comps lately is that I wasn't using Phillip Kolb joiners on my pike ET SL.....

But the real question to Jo Jo is however is the perfection going outperform a ET at 1500 m with an an average wind speed of 4m/s... Won't the perfection be too light, not enough wing span and the airfoil too thin?

I would have thought that the ET or explorer would be perfection for the next worlds, given the daily maximum temp will be only 18 degrees.....
I have never liked the ET with "Kolb joiners". But I love them on a standard Perfect.

The Perfection does not have to be "too light" if you ballast it.. And it deppends on the weight of your model in the first place. The airfoil is almost the same. The wingspan is smaller though. The tail is the big difference...

The ET will perform just fine. You fly Explorer if you want. One can win with that also.

How do you think the temperature will come in to play you say?
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:59 AM
Registered User
jojoen's Avatar
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,444 Posts
Oh btw "Ricko": You will not be able to win without my new fancy servo covers. They just outperform anything....

Oh i forgot.. On my own Perfection I use the flat ones since the servohorns does not stick out anyhow. I wonder if that is because the airfoil is not that thin?
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Last edited by jojoen; Apr 15, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:34 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoen View Post
Oh btw "Ricko": You will not be able to win without my new fancy servo covers. They just outperform anything....

Oh i forgot.. On my own Perfection I use the flat ones since the servohorns does not stick out anyhow. I wonder if that is because the airfoil is not that thin?
Maybe we can fly together to see who will win...
As long we have budweiser after!

I was thinking that a larger plane like an ET or a explorer would be better than say the perfection or the maxa? Also the wing is thinner?
The conditions will be light weak thermals given it will winter and at altitude.. So larger, more camber and hang time will be more important in my option..
I remember the hot plane at the f3b worlds in south Africa was the cobra with the MH32....

Interested in your opinion and anyone else out there...
Ricko Ticko is offline Find More Posts by Ricko Ticko
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:55 AM
Registered User
jojoen's Avatar
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricko Ticko View Post
Maybe we can fly together to see who will win...
As long we have budweiser after!

I was thinking that a larger plane like an ET or a explorer would be better than say the perfection or the maxa? Also the wing is thinner?
The conditions will be light weak thermals given it will winter and at altitude.. So larger, more camber and hang time will be more important in my option..
I remember the hot plane at the f3b worlds in south Africa was the cobra with the MH32....

Interested in your opinion and anyone else out there...
What wing is thinner? Perfection is virtually the same wing as the ET just a touch smaller.
Well I have not been there. But flying in altitude you should try. In my place we fly more weight and aggressive when we are flying at 800-1000m... The thermals is not soft at all but maybe softer than in summer.

The MH32 was a fantastic airfoil at the time in good air and when you nail the thermal it can reward you. But we can not choose as much as one can in F3B... And there are better airfoils now.

In Canada (that was also at high altitude) I loved my Brio that I stretched to "Giant". It had a very thin airfoil but had a lot of camber in the front area. It would not have performed without that and could fall out of the sky in sink if not flown proper. A heavy Perfect was a better choice there.

If I am thinking correct it is not about size but flying agressive. possibly with ballast (deppending again on your inital weight) in all but calm conditions in South Africa. I do not belive in thin and/or less cambered airfoils because it is so easy to fall out.

I dont drink much alcohol anymore.
So what is your real nam "Ricko".
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
Registered User
Tuomo's Avatar
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,374 Posts
There are tables on altitude/humidity/temperature to estimate airliners performance. Has anybody really calculated the conditions in SA? Although quite high, the climate should be quite dry and not very hot. Last EC in Bovec was propably at least as challenging.
Tuomo is online now Find More Posts by Tuomo
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 08:14 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2004
118 Posts
Just got word that 'my' Pike Perfection has arrived in the lower 48 states. Wrong coast, though Any tips you'd like to share regarding servos and putting her together? Has anyone had experience installing the Graupner HOTT system? Thanks in advance!
pteromorph is offline Find More Posts by pteromorph
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 12:47 PM
kdt
Registered User
kdt's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
395 Posts
Perfection SL

I agree with JoJo on his ideas on SA conditions. Active air will always be easier to deal with flying a heavier model.

My experience with the Perfection is with a 1700g SL. This model seems to have better legs and slightly faster than a light Perfect. The SL is an exceptional model.

Looking forward to flying an ST80.
kdt is offline Find More Posts by kdt
Last edited by kdt; May 13, 2012 at 02:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 09:10 AM
Bro
Registered User
Bro's Avatar
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,914 Posts
Perfections land in America

Howdy,
We have gotten the first Perfections in America at SUSA. These models are like art work. Samba has again outdone themselves!
We may have one available that was not pre-sold if someone has interest please send me an email.
bob@soaringsua.com

Best,
Bob
Bro is online now Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 11:34 AM
kdt
Registered User
kdt's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
395 Posts
Perfection

Great to see you are getting stock. I know Samba has been on overdrive to get models out before the Worlds. This is going to be a very successful model!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
Howdy,
We have gotten the first Perfections in America at SUSA. These models are like art work. Samba has again outdone themselves!
We may have one available that was not pre-sold if someone has interest please send me an email.
bob@soaringsua.com

Best,
Bob
kdt is offline Find More Posts by kdt
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:15 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Jim Frahm's Avatar
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,185 Posts
Perfection Owners,

Has anyone elongated the elevator brass rod exit hole to get more up travel or is the up travel enough as is? The elevator will touch the fuse in the down position without the brass rod touching the fuse but in the up travel the brass rod hits the fuse and the amount of up is less than half the amount of down. Just wondering how much up travel is needed?

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:31 PM
Bro
Registered User
Bro's Avatar
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,914 Posts
Perfection

Jim,
I think this my be helpful...

http://f3j.com/perfection/instructio...tions_text.pdf

Best,
Bob
Bro is online now Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:53 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Jim Frahm's Avatar
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
Jim,
I think this my be helpful...

http://f3j.com/perfection/instructio...tions_text.pdf

Best,
Bob
Bob,

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for.

Jim
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold T-Rex 550FBL 3GX V2 "PERFECTION" (SOLD) rapyd Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 7 Jul 25, 2011 06:44 AM
Wanted Pike, Pike Plus, Pike P or Pike WR Wing Center Section Lancer263 Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 11, 2010 11:07 PM