HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:50 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,258 Posts
Discussion
Delta or WYE wound motors. Which is better?

Which is better for multirotors?

Saw this explanation and from what I can tell, WYE is better but also more sensitive to the ESC timing option we choose. Does this sound right?

I have seen some blue wonder motors where there is one wire coming from the motor and others where there are clearly three separate ones. Is this how we can tell if the motor is Wye or Delta?
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:56 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
Which is better for multirotors?

Saw this explanation and from what I can tell, WYE is better but also more sensitive to the ESC timing option we choose. Does this sound right?

I have seen some blue wonder motors where there is one wire coming from the motor and others where there are clearly three separate ones. Is this how we can tell if the motor is Wye or Delta?
I watched a friend of mine over Xmas painstakingly rewind 4 Turnigy D2822/14 motors from delta to "Y" and he swears they have more torque. I probably couldn't tell the difference, but he knows his quad back to front.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:58 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
I've always been told more poles have more torque.

so, ideally, a high pole count motor should work well for multirotors.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:08 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
I've always been told more poles have more torque.

so, ideally, a high pole count motor should work well for multirotors.
Are the poles the spokes that the motor wire is wound around? Or is the magnet count the same thing as a pole count?

So a flat motor with more poles with a WYE wind and an ESC set to the correct high, medium, or low timing setting sounds like a good combo.

I still don't understand how we can visually tell the difference between a delta and WYE wound motor
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:59 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,795 Posts
Quote:
Are the poles the spokes that the motor wire is wound around? Or is the magnet count the same thing as a pole count?

So a flat motor with more poles with a WYE wind and an ESC set to the correct high, medium, or low timing setting sounds like a good combo.

I still don't understand how we can visually tell the difference between a delta and WYE wound motor
Delta or WYE has to do with the termination (how you connect) of the windings, not the windings themselves.

There are 3 wires and 6 ends for a typical brushless motor.

If all three wires are connected at one end and the other ends of the wires go to the esc it is a WYE of Y or Star connection.

Check out the picture below.

For the same winding, a Delta connection will have 1.73 times the kV of the Y connection.

For the same kV there is no big difference in efficiency.

Great info at this link Electric Motors part 1-5 click on the link to articles to get to the individual articles.
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Last edited by leadfeather; Jan 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:12 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
Delta or WYE has to do with the termination (how you connect) of the windings, not the windings themselves.

There are 3 wires and 6 ends for a typical brushless motor.

If all three wires are connected at one end and the other ends of the wires go to the esc it is a WYE of Y or Star connection.

Check out the picture below.

For the same winding, a Delta connection will have 1.73 times the kV of the Y connection.

For the same kV there is no big difference in efficiency.

Great info at this link Electric Motors part 1-5 click on the link to articles to get to the individual articles.
Thanks. Sounds like Delta is a little lighter then.

I'd be interested in seeing some test results between the two windings, on the same type of motor and at the same kv.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:20 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,795 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Sounds like Delta is a little lighter then.

I'd be interested in seeing some test results between the two windings, on the same type of motor and at the same kv.
The weight ends up about the same as does the efficiency. For the same kV a Y ( WYE, star) requires more turns of wire. To get the wire to fit, the wire has to be a smaller gauge; so in the end you'll have about the same amount of copper.

I think if you post this thread in the electric motor forum you'll get some very good answers form the "gurus" on the pros and cons of Y and Delta.

Bellow is a snip form a chart of a lot of different winds for a Blue Wonder type motor. More of this kind of info in the BW winding thread.
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Last edited by leadfeather; Jan 19, 2012 at 09:30 AM.